• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The I got 2.2 from T-mo Thread ...

From that post: "This ROM does NOT contain:... Genius-button related applications ...

I love the idea of ditching that huge turd of an app. Does this leave the "g" button as dead space? Not that I'd mind - I don't use it anyway - but I'd love to reassign that to Vlingo which works much better and is massively faster for me.

I almost wish this update wasn't lurking so close to being (apparently) ready for release. I'd been telling myself that if 2.2 wasn't available beginning of '11 I'd root it and install CM, but now we're being teased with the official update being right around the corner again. :p

Upvote 0
From that post: "This ROM does NOT contain:... Genius-button related applications ...

I love the idea of ditching that huge turd of an app. Does this leave the "g" button as dead space? Not that I'd mind - I don't use it anyway - but I'd love to reassign that to Vlingo which works much better and is massively faster for me.

I almost wish this update wasn't lurking so close to being (apparently) ready for release. I'd been telling myself that if 2.2 wasn't available beginning of '11 I'd root it and install CM, but now we're being teased with the official update being right around the corner again. :p

If it's like the other geniusless ROMs it remaps the genius button for google search.

Upvote 0

.....same thing here if we dont get froyo by the end of this month im rooting and installing cm7

Upvote 0
.....same thing here if we dont get froyo by the end of this month im rooting and installing cm7

Ditto, although I may do CM6. I'll probably try both.

Upvote 0
For the most part yes, but there are some apps that will not install as system apps. Don't know about those two apps, but it won't hurt anything to try. Just keep in mind that even if they don't install they will still take up system memory so if they don't work make sure you remove the files from /system/app.

Upvote 0
So will having a non rooted slide with 2.18.531.1 on it void the warranty?

I can't adb push exploid anymore to reroot it for some reason I can not figure it out. I have tried 2 slides on 2 computers with 2 SD cards with no luck.

The phone will not load the ESPRIMG file anymore (I used the alternate file as well with no luck).

I did it successfully before I don't see what I am doing wrong.

The slide with 2.18.531.1 is a total piece of junk. Loose hinge, creaky body, dust under the screen...... you name it it has it...... I really want to send it back in but not if its going to cost me $300

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones