• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The 'I got my stimulus check!' (or not) thread

this sounds like a great idea as i have tons of lemon and tangerines that i do not know what to do with. thanx for the tip.
You're welcome! They're wonderful, and as you can imagine, really inundated with requests for produce right now. They'll be more than happy to take your excess fruit off your hands. :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I was able to input my information on the irs website today for direct deposit. And confirmed. I believe it is going to be in my account next week.
Yay, Danny! That's awesome. Let us know when you get it, okay?

[And don't spend it all on booze... :eek: :D]

Upvote 0
why is the camera aimed at his feet?
Haven't you seen those on-the-street interviews, where all they show are the person's feet? It's usually someone who witnessed--or committed!--a crime, and wants to give their side of the story, but anonymously.
ok sorry i derailed your thread.
No, no, no! I love thread drift. :D It's more like the way people talk in person. Think about it: other than a seminar/class/lecture where the whole point is one specific topic, how often do you and several others stick STRICTLY to one topic? :thinking:

Upvote 0
i have tons of lemon and tangerines
I had a wonderful tangerine tree in my backyard; its fruit was amazing! :D

And then it died. :(

That really made me sad. When it was in the early stages of dying, just one portion of it, my gardener and I were both at a loss as to what was causing it. He cut it back, taking off the dying limbs, and we paid special attention to it. But nothing helped.

Since the LA Arboretum is within walking distance [and, therefore, their environment is identical to mine], I called and spoke to its head horticulturalist. He ran down some possibilities, but nothing seemed to apply. Within 6-ish months it was dead.

All that's left of it is a bit of stump you have to actively look for, under the grass. I miss it. I was planning on planting a replacement, but then life happened. I know I can have my gardener do it, but I want to be the one who chooses it, decides exactly where to put it, etc. All in due time!

Reactions: ocnbrze and tommo47
Upvote 0
This was published today, April 25, by CNBC, and answers questions about Social Security recipients receiving their stimulus checks:

"Timing for Social Security beneficiaries

Payments will begin arriving starting this week for people who receive Social Security retirement, survivors or disability benefits, as well as Railroad Retirement benefits.

Those beneficiaries will automatically receive their $1,200 payments, regardless of whether they file taxes or not. The money will arrive in the same way those individuals now receive their benefits, whether it be by direct deposit, paper check or Direct Express debit card."

Upvote 0
Hey, look here! :D

Screenshot_20200427-134338.png

Upvote 0
Is 62 old enough for Social security in the US if you're working full-time?
There are many variables involved in SS benefits.

For example, depending on when you were born, your full retirement age can vary quite a bit. I still haven't reached mine, but because of illness have been receiving SS [disability insurance] for years. Taking your regular SS benefits before reaching your full retirement age, negatively impacts the amount you receive--and this is permanent. The longer you wait to start receiving benefits, the higher they'll be.

My aunt, who is in her mid-70s, looks 55, and has more energy than most 20-year-olds, is still working full-time, but finally filed for benefits. Her monthly amount puts mine to shame. But she has 25 years more work history than me.

The Social Security web site can provide all the information needed to make an informed decision on when to file.
I did not get the Stim yet.
Use the Get My Payment IRS tool, as I just did. Maybe you'll have a happy screenshot to share, too! :D

Upvote 0
There are many variables involved in SS benefits.

For example, depending on when you were born, your full retirement age can vary quite a bit. I still haven't reached mine, but because of illness have been receiving SS [disability insurance] for years. Taking your regular SS benefits before reaching your full retirement age, negatively impacts the amount you receive--and this is permanent. The longer you wait to start receiving benefits, the higher they'll be.

My aunt, who is in her mid-70s, looks 55, and has more energy than most 20-year-olds, is still working full-time, but finally filed for benefits. Her monthly amount puts mine to shame. But she has 25 years more work history than me.

The Social Security web site can give your nephew all the information he needs to make an informed decision on when to file.

Use the Get My Payment IRS tool, as I just did. Maybe you'll have a happy screenshot to share, too! :D
:) Right where MB posted like that, I cannot explain it more clearer then what she wrote, whomever quoted before.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I plan to work until I die
You're not alone! A lot of people have the same plan.

As a serious type-A workaholic, who loved my career, I intended to work--at least--well into my 70s. I just couldn't imagine the boredom...the lack of purpose...the sense of not accomplishing anything, of not working. Throughout my life, I volunteered thousands of hours for various things, like delivering meals to shut-ins, so I knew the feelings of satisfaction that go with that...but it's not the same.

My how things change. I still long to be back in the workforce, but those feelings pale in comparison to just being grateful to be alive, and being content with what I've got.
with no dependents. Can I assign my SS money to my god-daughter?
No. :(

Unless you marry her before you die. :eek:

Upvote 0
DPB, I forgot to add: once you've [at least] reached your full retirement date, grab that SS! That's your money, that you've been paying in to all your life. The key is to wait as long as possible, to maximize the amount, but you're entitled to those benefits regardless of if you're still working, so don't lose them by failing to file for them.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones