• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "I just got my Nexus 7!" thread

The kicker of it all is that in general the apps work fine, but something the devs set in the play market or the SDK has them shop up as incompatible.

This is probably one of the biggest annoyances. I've side loaded apps like Boid on to my tablet and they run fun, but can't be downloaded (and therefore can't be updated) in the Play Store.

Upvote 0
This is probably one of the biggest annoyances. I've side loaded apps like Boid on to my tablet and they run fun, but can't be downloaded (and therefore can't be updated) in the Play Store.

Well, that's the good news with it being a Nexus and not some cheap knock off (not saying your is, just seems to be very few quality tablets out there). They gave 6,000 away to devs at IO so they should have a major head start in updating stuff. Also, this is probably the largest table release on Android outside of the XOOM and the Fire, so their should be plenty of incentive for the devs to get on board.

Reactions: andoird213
Upvote 0
Well, that's the good news with it being a Nexus and not some cheap knock off (not saying your is, just seems to be very few quality tablets out there). They gave 6,000 away to devs at IO so they should have a major head start in updating stuff. Also, this is probably the largest table release on Android outside of the XOOM and the Fire, so their should be plenty of incentive for the devs to get on board.

Absolutely more support than other tablets out there. Only thing is is that it has a DPI unique to any other android device...tvdpi is what I think its called...which means they'll have to develop for it specifically

Upvote 0
Absolutely more support than other tablets out there. Only thing is is that it has a DPI unique to any other android device...tvdpi is what I think its called...which means they'll have to develop for it specifically

That true, but I think if there was wide-scale app incompatibility we would have heard about it by now from some of the original 6,000 folks that got not only the N7, but a GNex with Jelly Bean as well. Also, there are thousands of folks running JB roms as we speak. Will you or I come across an app or two in our library that doesn't show, sure. I just don't see it being a major issue as it wasn't for me when I got the GNex with ICS (JB for the N7) and 4.74" 720p Super Amoled display (unique DPI on N7).

Reactions: andoird213
Upvote 0
That true, but I think if there was wide-scale app incompatibility we would have heard about it by now from some of the original 6,000 folks that got not only the N7, but a GNex with Jelly Bean as well. Also, there are thousands of folks running JB roms as we speak. Will you or I come across an app or two in our library that doesn't show, sure. I just don't see it being a major issue as it wasn't for me when I got the GNex with ICS (JB for the N7) and 4.74" 720p Super Amoled display (unique DPI on N7).

100% agree

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
i just picked one up from sams club,and theres no camera app. This is my first tablet, so maybe im off but i dont understand why it wouldnt come with a camera app

Because there's no rear facing camera! Google doesn't assume you're going to take pictures of yourself, and I can't say I blame them, I don't understand it either, but I posted this only about 5 posts ago...it allows you to launch/use the front camera. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...3-1p-foRHQZo9w4Og&sig2=NmEOAY4T8q4Znknp3_0oIQ

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0
Got mine about an hour ago, very little done with it other than plug it in since it didn't have enough power to do anything other than shut itself off. Initial impressions so far:

The tape on the box really is hard to cut (at least with a dull pocket knife), but I didn't have any other problems that some of the unboxing videos seemed to have.

No rattles or raised edges on the screen. It all appears to be in one piece.

The texture of the back really is different. My fingers seem to get almost a "fuzzy" vibe from it (kind of like a peach).

The thing that will make me crazy is that the "back" and "menu" buttons on the screen are on the opposite sides of the screen than the same buttons on my phone (since they aren't hardware buttons, I wonder if there is an app that can swap the positions? :).

Upvote 0
Got mine about an hour ago, very little done with it other than plug it in since it didn't have enough power to do anything other than shut itself off. Initial impressions so far:

The tape on the box really is hard to cut (at least with a dull pocket knife), but I didn't have any other problems that some of the unboxing videos seemed to have.

No rattles or raised edges on the screen. It all appears to be in one piece.

The texture of the back really is different. My fingers seem to get almost a "fuzzy" vibe from it (kind of like a peach).

The thing that will make me crazy is that the "back" and "menu" buttons on the screen are on the opposite sides of the screen than the same buttons on my phone (since they aren't hardware buttons, I wonder if there is an app that can swap the positions? :).

Some of the first mods for the GNex were for the soft buttons so I am sure they will rapidly be ported over to this. Check out the GNEX ATR sections if you want a preview. Different colors, drop shadows, additional buttons. They really changed everything.

Upvote 0
I got mine on Friday and am very happy with it.

I totally understand the no rear camera thing, I think it's silly on tablets as well. The one thing I'm missing is being able to scan QR codes. I've searched the play store and the only compatible thing I've found is QR generators.

Do you think I'd be able to scan QR codes if I sideloaded a QR code app?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I got mine on Friday and am very happy with it.

I totally understand the no rear camera thing, I think it's silly on tablets as well. The one thing I'm missing is being able to scan QR codes. I've searched the play store and the only compatible thing I've found is QR generators.

Do you think I'd be able to scan QR codes if I sideloaded a QR code app?

Thanks.

Doesn't google goggles do QR codes?

Upvote 0
Got mine this morning.

Had some other user email address on it. Totally different than mine, I logged in with the correct email, and it seemed to be fine.

I tried to call google about it to see what was up, but their customer help line is flat out off. They are not taking any calls.

Yeah, what's up with that? Did they just give up? I think they're realizing how widespread and expensive these issues are going to be to correct.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones