• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The Moment has been rooted!!(?)

ok so does that mean cooked roms are permanent and there is no flashing back to the phones original state?

No, you can FLASH back...think of the ROM in your PC. ROM is read only memory and is usually non-erasable. What you place in there is what is going to reside on/in the device.

So,something that is part of ROM is considered "baked" or "cooked" in there. You can replace the ROM contents by reflashing. But, you have to edit what's contained in the ROM before it is flashed.

Sprint has certain apps "baked" into the Moment's ROM. If the contents can be downloaded, it can be edited and then reflashed. So, you can add permanent apps...or delete them. You can also add user interfaces and instructions...like storing and accessing add on apps on the SD card (which is one of the main reasons I want to root my Moment). This will allow for more usable internal memory for apps, which currently take up that space.

Upvote 0
No, you can FLASH back...think of the ROM in your PC. ROM is read only memory and is usually non-erasable. What you place in there is what is going to reside on/in the device.

So,something that is part of ROM is considered "baked" or "cooked" in there. You can replace the ROM contents by reflashing. But, you have to edit what's contained in the ROM before it is flashed.

Sprint has certain apps "baked" into the Moment's ROM. If the contents can be downloaded, it can be edited and then reflashed. So, you can add permanent apps...or delete them. You can also add user interfaces and instructions...like storing and accessing add on apps on the SD card (which is one of the main reasons I want to root my Moment). This will allow for more usable internal memory for apps, which currently take up that space.
ok thanks for that explanation i understand now

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
so like i love how there is a tutorial on how to root the phone,
but like there isn't even one on how to partition your SD card, perferably in windows xp/7 like since your SD card has to be partitioned it should be included on how to do that for noobs like me with no knowledge on things like this...

You don't have to repartition your SD card to root the phone, I didn't. Just modify the instructions so that you're using system/bin instead of /media/bin. That said, if you don't know what you're doing, rooting really isn't for you on this phone at this point. If you don't understand what you're doing with each step of the tutorial, you could get yourself into trouble. Someone will probably come out with some rooting scripts at some point in the future, and at that point you can probably do this a little more safely.

In windows, you're going to have a difficult time partitioning and then placing a Linux ext3 filesystem on the card. If you don't have access to a Linux machine, you'd be better off not using the SD card.

Upvote 0
so has anyone produced anything like roms yet or are there still troubles with that?

Isn't likely to happen since the Moment uses a proprietary filesystem, RFS, while all other phones, including the Galaxy, use the standard yaffs2.

That and there is no recovery image. Not that I've found. The NAND layout is COMPLETELY different of what Android hackers are used to.

Upvote 0
Isn't likely to happen since the Moment uses a proprietary filesystem, RFS, while all other phones, including the Galaxy, use the standard yaffs2.

That and there is no recovery image. Not that I've found. The NAND layout is COMPLETELY different of what Android hackers are used to.
hmm...maybe i should switch out the moment for a hero while i still can to get the full benefeits of root? or is android plenty cool enough without rooting?

Upvote 0

So that being said, would it be safe to say the ONLY way moment user will get 2.0, is thru official updates? Yikes!!!! Coming from a Diamond thats a scary thought. Custom Roms were way better, and ahead of their time, on windows mobile. Users would still be stuck with WM6.1 if they had to wait for sprint/htc to release it. I know even with the Hero being fully rooted its still stuck with 1.5, but Im sure XDA will figure out a way to change that. Sounds like it may be damn near impossible on a Moment, or atleast alot more difficult.

Upvote 0
So that being said, would it be safe to say the ONLY way moment user will get 2.0, is thru official updates? Yikes!!!! Coming from a Diamond thats a scary thought. Custom Roms were way better, and ahead of their time, on windows mobile. Users would still be stuck with WM6.1 if they had to wait for sprint/htc to release it. I know even with the Hero being fully rooted its still stuck with 1.5, but Im sure XDA will figure out a way to change that. Sounds like it may be damn near impossible on a Moment, or atleast alot more difficult.
i hope your right abou XDA, i really want 2.0

Upvote 0
Is there any other phone that uses the same file system as the moment? Id hate to think of the moment being alone in all of this. Kinda like when a phone comes out with a weird screen resolution and specific things have to be developed just for THAT phone. I dont know the first thing about linux, not to mention rooting, so Im just speculating of course.

Upvote 0
Is there any other phone that uses the same file system as the moment? Id hate to think of the moment being alone in all of this. Kinda like when a phone comes out with a weird screen resolution and specific things have to be developed just for THAT phone. I dont know the first thing about linux, not to mention rooting, so Im just speculating of course.

Perhaps in the future. Samsung is using their own new technologies, "OneNAND", "XSR" and "RFS". Googling those should give enough PDF documentation, I mnanaged to get a general idea which is why I will experiment with roms AFTER we get a recovery method.

I'm sure future Samsung Phones will include such a technology.

Upvote 0
Haha, you found that, I just noticed you had it in your devices list.
The Samsung says Instinct in the background info. haha

Anyways. The one thing these companies need to stop doing, becides locking down phones, is to stop holding on to legacy stuff and move foward.
This phone is a HUGE advance in what we have now days. The other phones are sticking around the standard of 500-600 mhz processors. This phone stepped it up 200 mhz! that is crazy for today. They have the technology to build us an ultimate phone, but they hire idiots to design them and write the code, then other beurocrats to tell them that they need to lock it out.

Some capatolist society we have. anyways.

i was trying to say, we need to move forward and stop holding on to legacy technology.
So if OneNAND or other file structures are a step forward, then they need to be taken.
Legacy device support needs to be stopped! asap.
Our computer industry would be much further ahead if they didn't do this crap.
But then, they would never make any money, cause they would build a pimp machine and we woudlnt' upgrade till it became useless. Same thing with these phones.

Thanks for working hard on this zefie.

Are you working on a batch file to do this for us?
I hate tinkering with software. I'm a hands on guy. =*(

Upvote 0
Haha, you found that, I just noticed you had it in your devices list.
The Samsung says Instinct in the background info. haha

Anyways. The one thing these companies need to stop doing, becides locking down phones, is to stop holding on to legacy stuff and move foward.
This phone is a HUGE advance in what we have now days. The other phones are sticking around the standard of 500-600 mhz processors. This phone stepped it up 200 mhz! that is crazy for today. They have the technology to build us an ultimate phone, but they hire idiots to design them and write the code, then other beurocrats to tell them that they need to lock it out.

Some capatolist society we have. anyways.

i was trying to say, we need to move forward and stop holding on to legacy technology.
So if OneNAND or other file structures are a step forward, then they need to be taken.
Legacy device support needs to be stopped! asap.
Our computer industry would be much further ahead if they didn't do this crap.
But then, they would never make any money, cause they would build a pimp machine and we woudlnt' upgrade till it became useless. Same thing with these phones.

Thanks for working hard on this zefie.

Are you working on a batch file to do this for us?
I hate tinkering with software. I'm a hands on guy. =*(

Someone made a batch script, but I forgot where. I'll post back if I find it. Or maybe it was in this thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones