• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Skype app is here..

I get all that (I'm a Skype user) but I'm trying to boil it down to practical use (this would be the "research it" phase).

Can a mobile Skype user receive another mobile Skype users call for free? Regardless, aren't all mobile Skype users on VZW and therefore get free calls to each other anyway? So back to my original question - excluding international calls, is the only value of this for making Skype calls from your VZW phone to someone using Skype on their PC?

Regarding the Skype video from phones, which phones have front facing cameras to make this practical? Again, I understand the theoretical.

Not all mobile Skype users are on VZW. There are Fring and Skype Mobile apps for other mobile operating systems = other networks.

Upvote 0
Okay,
So I had the same issue as everyone else who put their phone number in on the website and got the link that told them "not available for your phone". It wasn't a rooted 2.1 phone issue. I have a stock 1.5 Eris and received the same message. When I'd search for the Skype App in the Market I'd get nothing. So I *228'ed my phone... Option 1 to program and then searched on reboot. Searched twice and somehow on the second search found the skype mobile app. So you may want to try the *228 option or even *22899? I believe it is to update your feature set.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
To another Skype contact from within the Skype mobile application would be a free call. It's only non Skype #'s that will use your minutes as well as any international rates. Skype to Skype is free

Minor correction: international calls do not count against your minutes (you will have to pay Skype rates using Skype credits.) Only domestic calls to non-Skype numbers that will use your plan minutes.

Upvote 0
I'm on 1.5. Got the download from the market. It installed okay, but when I try to use it it says "Skype mobile can only be used on Verizon Wireless phones" I'm on Verizon...any ideas?

Same issue. I tried to get the download link from skype.com/m, but that didn't work. Now, after finding it in the market, it tells me it's only for Verizon phones. Any help?

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, why on earth would you use skype to call a domestic number that isn't another skype user if you are using a cell phone in the first place? You have to pay skype to call non-skype numbers. You are already paying VZ to call domestic numbers via your plan. Doesn't make sense to me.

My wife and I both have a Droid Eris with unlimited data plans, but no voice plans. However, we can still make and receive phone calls, but at 25 cents a minute. The reason for this is that we don

Upvote 0
New to Droid...
I've tried to sort thru this thread, but not getting a definitive answer yet.
Here's the deal.
at our winter cottage in Brooksville, FL. only Verizon gives dependable service.
at home in CT ATT or Verizon works. I have an iPhone, being a mac guy.
my partners phone got dumped in the pool in FL, and he's due for an upgrade.
So we are getting the Eris.
Seeing I have no service here in FL, I do a work around. I transfer cell calls to my skype number before reaching this little dead zone. Then put the iphone on wifi skype. works great, but my partner would NEVER go thru that crap.
Now there is Skype for Droid.........He'll be spending 30 bucks a month on the data plan, now he's spending 20 extra bucks a month on the cell for extra minutes as we have no landline in FL.
I'm being told he can't do as I do and make outgoing calls to phone numbers on skype via our wifi?
is this true? if so, is there another app that allows this?
and all this talk about not being able to get the app.
Isn't it in the "market"???
Thanks
Dan

Upvote 0
With Skype you can call your friends for free (skype-to-skype) and chat with them. There are also low costs for calling normal phones.
You might have to pay for 3G traffic, depending on your contract.

On a proper PC you can also video conference, but since your guys lame hardware does not have that it will not happen. (come one HTC, the new Iphone will have a front facing video camera). I used to live in Japan until a few month ago and there video conference is a standard feature.

I've heard of Skype but what is it exactly?

Upvote 0
With Skype you can call your friends for free (skype-to-skype) and chat with them. There are also low costs for calling normal phones.
You might have to pay for 3G traffic, depending on your contract.

Well, not quite. Skype to domestic phone number calls are handled by Verizon voice minutes, not by 3G. Only skype to skype and skype to international calls are handled by 3G. Since Verizon requires an unlimited data plan, you shouldn't need to pay for any 3G traffic, if you are doing Skype to Skype. (The exception, of course, is if you are roaming internationally.)

Upvote 0
I'm on 1.5. Got the download from the market. It installed okay, but when I try to use it it says "Skype mobile can only be used on Verizon Wireless phones" I'm on Verizon...any ideas?

Joe, I am having the same problem. Have you found a solution yet?

I am a Sprint customer. I am using a Samsung Moment that has been upgraded to Android 2.1.

You are a Sprint user wondering why your Sprint phone gives you the error message "Skype mobile can only be used on Verizon Wireless phones"?

His issue may be he is an Alltel customer who have had some issues with VZW apps. Your issue is... ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones