• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The Thunderbolt ROM List (Updated 11/9)

Yes Sir right out of the box..gonna do the Calibrate battery charging method ...then the Easyroot +S -Off ...then drop the rom
Please don't do easyroot. I'm going to give you an XDA link below to follow. It's a little harder but it's well worth it. On the bottom of the page is a link to an IRC channel where you can get help if you need it. The folks in the channel are amazing and very helpful. But with easyroot you have no where to go and no one knows where you get stuck.

[ROOT] Unlock Bootloader + Permroot 3/19/2011 - xda-developers

Read, reread and prepare. Make sure you have a working adb. Make sure you d/l the files and keep them organized. They are large and will take some time. Good luck. Did I mention to read and reread the instructions if you decide to do this? Don't take this lightly, it's an expensive phone and you really, really don't want anything to happen to it.

Upvote 0
Please don't do easyroot. I'm going to give you an XDA link below to follow. It's a little harder but it's well worth it. On the bottom of the page is a link to an IRC channel where you can get help if you need it. The folks in the channel are amazing and very helpful. But with easyroot you have no where to go and no one knows where you get stuck.

Read, reread and prepare. Make sure you have a working adb. Make sure you d/l the files and keep them organized. They are large and will take some time. Good luck. Did I mention to read and reread the instructions if you decide to do this? Don't take this lightly, it's an expensive phone and you really, really don't want anything to happen to it.

:eek:

Upvote 0
Yes Sir right out of the box..gonna do the Calibrate battery charging method ...then the Easyroot +S -Off ...then drop the rom

i would encourage you to read thru the threads here. its only 3 pages(you dont even need to use the "search button" ;)),and theres a thread just a couple down from this thats addressing these exact same questions.

*also,since i had the 3rd post i decided to list some of the mods,apps,etc. that are available. if anyone finds a mod or anything else of relevance,let me know and ill add it up there so we have it all in the same place.

i thot about also linking the adb setup and root methods,but wasnt sure if that might be a good topic for a second sticky thread.

let me know what you all think- if you want a second thread ill make it and maintain it,or if youd like i can add a "root" section to the third post above :)

Upvote 0
i would encourage you to read thru the threads here. its only 3 pages(you dont even need to use the "search button" ;)),and theres a thread just a couple down from this thats addressing these exact same questions.

*also,since i had the 3rd post i decided to list some of the mods,apps,etc. that are available. if anyone finds a mod or anything else of relevance,let me know and ill add it up there so we have it all in the same place.

i thot about also linking the adb setup and root methods,but wasnt sure if that might be a good topic for a second sticky thread.

let me know what you all think- if you want a second thread ill make it and maintain it,or if youd like i can add a "root" section to the third post above :)

I like where your heads at, I thought of adding mods, but the 3rd post was taken before I could reserve it :rolleyes:haha. My only concern(s) is adding mods to this thread may result in more unnecessary questions like "does it work on (insert ROM name here)", "I can't get it to work on (insert ROM name here)," etc. Plus, with only one post to work out of you may not have enough space to list all the mods available. There aren't many now, but I'm sure the list will multiply rapidly in the coming weeks. Which brings up the next concern, if you add a mod, you have to add them all, you can't just pick and chose. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea behind it, I just think it's an even bigger task than the ROMs/Kernels.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I like where your heads at, I thought of adding mods, but the 3rd post was taken before I could reserve it :rolleyes:haha. My only concern(s) is adding mods to this thread may result in more unnecessary questions like "does it work on (insert ROM name here)", "I can't get it to work on (insert ROM name here)," etc. Plus, with only one post to work out of you may not have enough space to list all the mods available. There aren't many now, but I'm sure the list will multiply rapidly in the coming weeks. Which brings up the next concern, if you add a mod, you have to add them all, you can't just pick and chose. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea behind it, I just think it's an even bigger task than the ROMs/Kernels.

all very good points. maybe i should start another thread and reserve the first 3 posts? ill let you guys decide... whatever is cool with me. its neat being in on things from the start. by the time i got to the eris,inc,or droid 1 forums they were all very well established.

i almost think this thread should be locked,so it doesnt get to be 500 pages long with irrelevant questions ;) :eek:

Upvote 0
all very good points. maybe i should start another thread and reserve the first 3 posts? ill let you guys decide... whatever is cool with me. its neat being in on things from the start. by the time i got to the eris,inc,or droid 1 forums they were all very well established.

i almost think this thread should be locked,so it doesnt get to be 500 pages long with irrelevant questions ;) :eek:

Same boat, this is my first device I've owned at launch and it's awesome! It's really up to you regarding the mods. If you want to stay on top of the mods and update it regularly (daily if need be) then more power to you, my man. You'll get no objections from me. If it gets too big you can always start your own thread. I agree with you about the posts. I'm hoping that we can keep the conversations to a minimum in here so it doesn't snowball. If it starts getting bad I'll hit up a mod and have it closed, but still continue to update it.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

Ok just wanted to drop back in to let you know how things went..TB came right on time today while charging for 6 hrs (didn't do the calibrate charge:rolleyes:) I read & reread the link you gave me and I gotta tell you the more I read the more my gut told me to do the easyroot..maybe for the seasoned vets typing or copy and pasting the commands are a walk in the park, but for me :eek:.. So I gotta give props to dbzfanatic for putting together the easyroot program. It was straight forward and all I needed to do was read the instructions and click 3x (what could be simpler then that :)) Well gotta run my backup just finished...so now I'm gonna go take "boLTEd" for a spin :D

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm glad it worked for you Jerzboi, but you can't imagine how many people came into irc saying they were stuck using easyroot and there was not much we could do to help them, although there are some users who are so good at it they did help. But they were not always online so it became problematic.

One reason I urged you to go the long route (or is it root?) is so that you know what adb does, you have some commands at your disposal, and you understand exactly what you have done to your phone. But all's well that ends well I guess.

Upvote 0
Like I said in the OP if there is a demand and people feel that this thread would be useful I have no problem maintaining it and updating it at least once daily. I'm always on here anyways so it's not that big of a deal. I think there should be one of these in every "All Things Root" sub section.

Maybe open yourself a little "Beer Fund" I know I would enjoy a little space like this to rely on updated information. Easy access and proper links. Dedication should be rewarded.

Reactions: WormDoes
Upvote 0
My understanding is they are close, still having issues with the RIL. But from what I understand they have gotten data to work.

BT working now. I don't think they have voice and data working together yet. If they did they could prob release it.

*giggling and clapping hands*

i really cant wait. on my inc,sense was kinda fun when i only had to use it for a couple days,then could go back to cm7. without cm7 im starting to hate it intently :eek:

Upvote 0
For some reason, the mods closed down Ziggys' thread on XDA. I went to his own site today and downloaded it and I am using it for the first time. I've never had a kernel that was so good with battery life while not sacrificing speed as this. Running it with the fabulous VirusROM rc1b3.1 senseless.

Upvote 0
For some reason, the mods closed down Ziggys' thread on XDA. I went to his own site today and downloaded it and I am using it for the first time. I've never had a kernel that was so good with battery life while not sacrificing speed as this. Running it with the fabulous VirusROM rc1b3.1 senseless.

Thanks, I saw that and was going to update, but I just flashed RC1B3.1 and have been setting it up and such. I flashed Adryn's 1.4 final, but was thinking of trying out ziggys.

Upvote 0
Wait until you try 1.4 Remix! 4.1b kernel.

I kinda screwed myself. I flashed Virus 3.1, set it all up, an hour later notice BAMF 1.4 was released. I started d/l, wiped data, no backup and 1.5 hours later I still haven't even gotten BAMF to d/l The link is broken and no one is posting a mirror. I decided to d/l remix and it's almost done. Tomorrow's gona be a looooong day at work

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones