• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The truth: Why the extra fees are a rip off

T-Mobile does NOT sell a Nexus One. GOOGLE used to sell a Nexus One, but stopped a while ago.

And I have never been a fan of the Nexus One. I like hardware keyboards. The only reason I bought the Evo is because it has a front camera, and Sprint took care of that $10 per Evo fee for me.

You're being ridiculously technical. Google sold N1 through T-mo's network. :rolleyes:

If sprint took care of the fee for you, why not make a thread advising people how to accomplish this as well instead.

I do appreciate the info you provided concerning other networks though. I'll be sure to recommend it to people where its network is relevant (not sarcasm).

Upvote 0
You're being ridiculously technical. Google sold N1 through T-mo's network. :rolleyes:

If sprint took care of the fee for you, why not make a thread advising people how to accomplish this as well instead.

I do appreciate the info you provided concerning other networks though. I'll be sure to recommend it to people where its network is relevant (not sarcasm).

I did post about Sprint taking care of that fee in the various threads on it. All I did was call sprint and give them the info in the first post of this thread and they took care of me. I wasn't already getting a bunch of credits or discounts though, and my plan was a current everything plan already. So anyone who is already getting their service at a substantially discounted rate will probably have more trouble. But I am assuming those people won't be in the $10 threads telling everyone to quit bitching either, as it would be quite hypocritical...

Upvote 0
This thread was started before most of those other $10 threads. They should have been posting here instead.

If you weren't eligible for upgrade and got hit with a full retail price, that is not what we're talking about. There are plenty of people who bought the Evo at full retail because they weren't eligible for upgrade too. The point is AT&T didn't raise the monthly bill for anyone who went from a Tilt (WinMo smartphone at the time) to an iPhone 3GS. Sprint DID raise the bill on people in that same situation (using a Touch Pro 2 on an everything plan) who switched to an Evo.

And to set the record straight, I am NOT paying that $10 fee. Sprint took care of that for me which is why I went ahead and preordered 4 of them. I was prepared to wait for T-Mobile to get an phone I wanted and switch to them if Sprint was really going to raise my bill without increasing the quality of my service (no 4G here).

Upgrading your phone should not raise your bill unless you also upgrade your service.
I just noticed the first post was the 13th so shame on me for foruming while drunk. Yup I said foruming. You aren't even paying the 10 fee? then you can't talk bad about a fee you aren't paying.. that is like talking bad about the president when you didn't vote. Or bad about lesbians when you have't walked a mile in there shoes (Makes zero sense but I just wanna watch lesbians do lesbian stuff... like vote.. wait that isn't a lesbian thing.. hmm). Going back yes Sprint RAISED the bill for people.. but they didn't just raise the bill .... they said if you want this phone then you pay this much Mr. Customer... if you don't want to pay this much we have a bunch of other phones to choose from and you will be able to keep that Sero plan that you have that we wish we had never given out. My point is yes the fee is there but it wasn't forced on anyone.. it just comes with that one phone. This isn't a new concept at all. It is just new to Sprint.

Upvote 0
So should sprint start just disabling the 4g feature on all customers not wanting to pay the $10 fee because they don't have coverage yet? They sure as hell can't restrict their customers from traveling to places with 4g. wimax service is certainly a network upgrade to current sprint's data service, and adding new wimax towers sure does cost money. I do agree sprint is reneging on CEO's words, and just doing PR work through hardware BS.

Should $10 be an option for 4g? -

Upvote 0
I just noticed the first post was the 13th so shame on me for foruming while drunk. Yup I said foruming. You aren't even paying the 10 fee? then you can't talk bad about a fee you aren't paying.. that is like talking bad about the president when you didn't vote. Or bad about lesbians when you have't walked a mile in there shoes (Makes zero sense but I just wanna watch lesbians do lesbian stuff... like vote.. wait that isn't a lesbian thing.. hmm). Going back yes Sprint RAISED the bill for people.. but they didn't just raise the bill .... they said if you want this phone then you pay this much Mr. Customer... if you don't want to pay this much we have a bunch of other phones to choose from and you will be able to keep that Sero plan that you have that we wish we had never given out. My point is yes the fee is there but it wasn't forced on anyone.. it just comes with that one phone. This isn't a new concept at all. It is just new to Sprint.

Not true. It wasn't just raised for SERO customers. It was raised for people who had Simply Everything plans as well, even if they didn't have 4G in their area. So Sprint was essentially saying, "if you ever want to chnge phones, either you will downgrade to a dumbphone, or you will pay extra for the exact same service."

And being against this fee even though I am not paying it is not at all the same thing as bitching about the president when you didn't vote... It was my (and plenty of other people) being upset about this fee that eventually allowed me to get the Evo without paying the fee.

Consumer action has a long history of working. And that is precisely why you see so many Sprint seeds on all the forums trying to silence all the "complainers."

Upvote 0
So should sprint start just disabling the 4g feature on all customers not wanting to pay the $10 fee because they don't have coverage yet? They sure as hell can't restrict their customers from traveling to places with 4g. wimax service is certainly a network upgrade to current sprint's data service, and adding new wimax towers sure does cost money. I do agree sprint is reneging on CEO's words, and just doing PR work through hardware BS.

Should $10 be an option for 4g? -

Absolutely- Sprint should give you the option to pay the $10 for 4G.

But they claim this fee isn't for 4G (because of the CEO saying it wouldn't cost extra).

As bad as it would be to stomach Sprint charging for 4G after the CEO said they wouldn't, it would certainly be a lot easier to stomach than the fee in its current form, which is: Sprint charging for 4G after the CEO said they wouldn't, and then lying to us and saying it isn't for 4G, and making the charge mandatory for everyone, even if you don't have 4G in your state.

Upvote 0
Not true. It wasn't just raised for SERO customers. It was raised for people who had Simply Everything plans as well, even if they didn't have 4G in their area. So Sprint was essentially saying, "if you ever want to chnge phones, either you will downgrade to a dumbphone, or you will pay extra for the exact same service."

And being against this fee even though I am not paying it is not at all the same thing as bitching about the president when you didn't vote... It was my (and plenty of other people) being upset about this fee that eventually allowed me to get the Evo without paying the fee.

Consumer action has a long history of working. And that is precisely why you see so many Sprint seeds on all the forums trying to silence all the "complainers."
Yes the fee added ten dollars to everyones (except yours) plan. My point was Sprint is now, with all the new phones, attempting to get rid of those SERO plans because They make no money off of them. "If you ever want to change phones...etc,etc."...If you have a simply everything plan then you can have any phone Sprint offers period. The EVO costs you 10.00 more than that per
month. Well not you... I can't hate on you for getting the fee knocked off at all, however my point is the fee was there plain and clear. You complained and don't have to pay it... Great. I can't follow the logic of continuing to complain about something that doesn't exist for you. Didn't like my president analogy? Fine I offer a other.... Bitching about a fee you don't pay is like bitching about the price of a free drink at a bar. It costs the guy next to you 10 bucks but the bartender keeps giving it to you for free. Be happy that your drink is free and hope the bartender didn't hear you bitch about it.

Upvote 0
You can't seriously be comparing that to a 10.00 fee for a service most don't get. How can paying that 10.00 fee give me a return? oh wait it's not an investment. Please compare apples to apples.

But you still are using the phone? How about this, if you do not like the fee, do not pay it. Do not get the phone, it is as simple as thing.

Upvote 0
Blah blah I don't have 4g why should I pay for it blah blah. Seriously people? It's a price hike. Yeah, that's right, they raised the price. They don't care whether or not you have 4g, and you are not paying for 4g. .

Well Duh the problem is they are calling it something else and this price hike is only for 4g users. Thus the title of the thread. :eek:

Upvote 0
Yes the fee added ten dollars to everyones (except yours) plan. My point was Sprint is now, with all the new phones, attempting to get rid of those SERO plans because They make no money off of them. "If you ever want to change phones...etc,etc."...If you have a simply everything plan then you can have any phone Sprint offers period. The EVO costs you 10.00 more than that per
month. Well not you... I can't hate on you for getting the fee knocked off at all, however my point is the fee was there plain and clear. You complained and don't have to pay it... Great. I can't follow the logic of continuing to complain about something that doesn't exist for you. Didn't like my president analogy? Fine I offer a other.... Bitching about a fee you don't pay is like bitching about the price of a free drink at a bar. It costs the guy next to you 10 bucks but the bartender keeps giving it to you for free. Be happy that your drink is free and hope the bartender didn't hear you bitch about it.
Again, the reason I don't have to pay the fee is because I bitched about it. What do you want me to do, come in here and say the fee is all good because I don't have to pay it? That would be just as hypocritical as all the people telling everyone to stop complaiing about the fee when they know they themselves have multiple discounts and credits every month. And this thread has nothing to do with Sprint trying to get people oss SERO, so not sure why you keep mentioning that. If Sprint wants you to have an Everything plan, that's fine. But if you have alrady been paying for an Everything plan every month, you have no discounts or credits or whatever (you pay full price every month), you already have a smartphone, and you don't live in a 4G area, then your bill should NOT go up just because you get a better phone that has the same exact services you are already paying for.

Sprint seeds huh. You wear your tinfoil hat around often too? Dont' forget one for each of your Evos, you don't want Sprint seed spores pollinating your data :D

You got your $10 fees removed, why do you still talk like you're still owed something?
If you don't think Sprint has seeds here, then explain to me why this site got invites to the Evo launch event in New York. It's not a tin foil hat, paranoid, type of situation. It's more like a blatantly obvious to any open minded observer situation. If Sprint wasn't aware of this forum, they would not have received an invite to that event. Period.

Upvote 0
I just switched from Verizon and a $10 charge compared to $30 is no problem. It's just $10 dollars. People blow more then that a month eating out at fast food. If you don't like it bring the phone back or cut back on something for the 10 bucks that is hurting your pockets.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

???? What charges are you comparing?

Upvote 0
I can really care less about the $10 fee... Anyone getting this device should know about it in advance..... We get the device knowing about it, so if you don't want to pay it, get something else....

If you blindly purchased the device without knowing about the $10 add on, then once you find out about it, you have 30-days to return it and get something else....

Getting the device knowing about the charge and then complaining about it makes no sense to me.... You made a choice to get the device and pay the fee.... It you are that unhappy about it, then move along to another device / provider...

My .02 (wonder if Sprint will deduct that .02 off my $10 fee?) :p

Upvote 0
Im so confused...the OP willingly bought 4 EVO's with knowledge of the $10 'Evo tax' and is now complaining about said tax? And then wrote a lengthy post about how better T Mobile is compared to Sprint? Am I missing the obvious here...the simple solution of returning all the phones, ending your Sprint contract, head over to Tmobile, purchase 'their' Evo and begin to enjoy their super awesome network. We all have that wonderful super power of choice.

Reactions: mcnutty and IOWA
Upvote 0
Im so confused...the OP willingly bought 4 EVO's with knowledge of the $10 'Evo tax' and is now complaining about said tax? And then wrote a lengthy post about how better T Mobile is compared to Sprint? Am I missing the obvious here...the simple solution of returning all the phones, ending your Sprint contract, head over to Tmobile, purchase 'their' Evo and begin to enjoy their super awesome network. We all have that wonderful super power of choice.

Agreed. But wait, the only problem is, Tmo doesn't have an Android superphone... nor do they have a super network.. hm...

Reactions: fayester
Upvote 0
Well Duh the problem they are calling it something else and this price hike is only for 4g users. Thus the title of the thread.

The price hike is also for Snapdragon users and front-camera users and HDMI-out users. Regardless, the point is that it doesn't matter. If the slight savings from getting a N1 on Tmo outweigh the benefits of an EVO on Sprint, get one. Whining about the price isn't going to change anything. If enough people take their business elsewhere Sprint will reconsider the fee. Otherwise, they won't care one bit about griping on forums.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
T Mobile????

1260319584807.png

Upvote 0
To answer yoru question, yes, you ARE missing the obvious here. That being, this thread was started long before the Evo was released. And it did not go down the way you summarize. The way it went down was..
1: Sprint announces the Evo.
2: Sprint says there will be no extra charge for 4G.
3: I (and many others) decide right then and there to buy the Evo.
4: Over a month later, shortly before the Evo is actually released, long after we had all made up our mind to buy an Evo and had been anxiously awaiting its release, Sprint announces an extra fee.
5: Many threads like this one were started all over the net.
6: Sprint took care of that fee for many of the people that complained about it and those people went on to buy Evos.

The price hike is also for Snapdragon users and front-camera users and HDMI-out users. Regardless, the point is that it doesn't matter. If the slight savings from getting a N1 on Tmo outweigh the benefits of an EVO on Sprint, get one. Whining about the price isn't going to change anything. If enough people take their business elsewhere Sprint will reconsider the fee. Otherwise, they won't care one bit about griping on forums.
Correction- whining about the price DID change things for many people, myself included.

Upvote 0
Sprint vs Tmobile.... EVO is by far better Android phone than anything on Tmobile. Also $29.99 unlimited WIFI tethering is best deal you can find. If you look at the total picture this is a good deal. May be it is not cheap, but its worth it for me. Look at AT&T and their crappy voice/data plans for iPhone along with crazy $325 contract term fee.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones