• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help They Did Hard Reset: I'm Angry

Do I have a right to be angry about Customer Service doing a hard reset without making it clear they would?

My phone's been squirrely since March. Reboots, won't stay on, blah, blah. Misbehaved in the Southwest. I got home, it didn't happen again. Someone said it might be overheating, but it didn't happen....unless I engaged GPS navigation....and then occasionally.

It happened today. I took it into Sprint Service Center, explained that it starts with GPS activation, but might be an overheating problem (which suggestion I got here from this helpful forum) because it comes back and works fine if I leave it alone. He said, "come back in an hour, hopefully it's only a software issue, and sign this which allows us to reload your contacts if we need to."

I came back, screens are nothing like I had, half my apps gone, etc. I called Sprint help on the regular phone, and he told me they'd done a hard reset. Plus.........the thing is still rebooting and not working. If I leave it alone for an hour, it'll boot, work until it warms up which is about 20 minutes, and then shuts down again. Pull the battery.....on and on.

I'm ticked because if he had said he was going to reset to factory, I would have taken it home, written down all my apps and taken a snapshot of my seven screens. I know I would have had time because it did it before.

Sorry for this: I'm really disappointed they didn't tell me. I have an appointment tomorrow and will probably have to get a refurb or something. But why didn't they give me the OPTION!!?? before wiping me off the map???

I probably had a defect in there somewhere and would have had to do the hard reset first anyway, but I would have least been prepared for it.

Am I overreacting? I LOVE Sprint, have always had faith in them thick and thin, but redoing all this is tough for me: it's going to take time I don't have right now. Should I stop whining?

He should have told you he may have to reset your device upon turning in your phone. But I assume the contract you sign when handing your phone to them gives them the right to wipe the phone. Did you actually see the LED lights on your phone illuminate when you thought the phone was overheating? Rebooting could be battery, app, software, or hardware related. Some people even reboot in bad coverage areas.

Upvote 0
You're probably correct: the printout I signed which he said allowed them to move my contacts over might also have stated that they could reset. That doesn't absolve them of the obligation to actually set your mind right. You'd think they'd want to ward off problems by explaining everything that might happen.

I run a business: if I didn't tell my client that I was going to unfit their picture, remove it from the current frame, change the wavy mats, and refit the hangers, I'd deserve every bit of ire when they found out it was far different from their original, when they might have wanted to keep it the way it was, for whatever dumb reason.

It might have had to happen anyway, but in my view, I and Sprint are bound by good business to inform.

In Praise Of: went back today, my favored tech whom I was lucky enough to draw, gave me a brand-new phone (well....$35.) concurred they shouldn't have done that (without being judgmental), and helped me set up most of my old stuff.

Sprint wins again........just because of Dustin's customer service attitude.

They shouldn't reset without telling you. So there. :)

P.S. No lights, nothing to indicate a problem: GPS seemed to trigger it. We'll never know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones