• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Thinking about getting a phone on a Carrier plan...

I have used whatever phones I wanted with US Cellular. I am not trying to promote them but I have had them for 20 years and have been pretty happy with the service but they are also not the cheapest out there. I know there are issue with locked phones but if it isn't locked it shouldn't be an issue. I believe there is an initial contract of 2 years but after that it is month to month. If you do the contract they usually offer a fair deal on a new phone

Upvote 0
I've been on an AT&T carrier plan forever. Sometimes I but my phones through the plan, sometimes I'll buy it outright from a 3rd party (aka Google). It doesn't matter. If you want to buy the phone at the carrier store up front but still have a plan, they'll do that too, but be advised so few people do that, you'll probably confuse the heck out of the poor clerk. And, they may not know how to do it and have to get a manager.

Reactions: Member2035261
Upvote 0
The two things I'd be most concerned about are the phone being locked to the carrier for the length of the contract (even if you pay it off, maybe) and carrier bloat (looking at you, Verizon).

My nephew is on my plan and wants a new iPhone (peer pressure!) so I looked around for a deal, everything I found indicated that the phone would be locked to Verizon for two years. I didn't fully investigate and told my sister to get one off swappa or from Apple.

Carriers are jerks sometimes :D

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
I'm seriously thinking about going with the LG G7 Thin-q soon.
I'm stuck with Verizon (work issued device) and the G7 looks nice. What really turned me to that device is the display in the sunlight. Seems to have a display boost mode. Besides, with my current G5, I'm biased towards LG anyway.

I'm pretty happy with my G6, Mike. The G7 looks like it's keeping some of the best stuff and adding to it. The two things you'll need to decide is the notch (doesn't bother me) and the fact that LG is abysmal with updates.

I've heard pretty good new about the G7. But I'm wondering was the news of the Moto RAZR V4 real or just a concept. Just imagine an Android with a foldable screen.

They said the horseless submarine would never take off, either. ;)

Upvote 0
So it turns out AT&T won't be offering the G7. I'm thinking I'll go with Verizon. They may have bloatware but every carrier does. Thinking back to my Windows Mobile days Verizon was the carrier that worked everywhere in my city. T- Mobile would drop signal in the most unexpected places.

So yeah. I'm off to a Verizon store this weekend. Wish me luck!

Upvote 0
I think it's karma. I'm sitting in the barbershop this morning and in walks a guy with a LG G7 What will it take? T-shirt with a Sprint logo on the sleeve(s?). I asked him about it and he said they came out today.

I'm going to the Sprint store instead of Verizon.

So does that mean that you're going to be locked into a Sprint plan for a couple of years? Or are you going to try to opt into a no-contract plan?

Upvote 0
Ta Da!
Haven't activated it yet; haven't even turned it on yet. I'm waiting for my case first as I'm in no hurry anyway. I got to sit down and make sure I need to save what I want to etc:
0601181950.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones