• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This doesn't seem legit? But a very interesting news story

Samsung Open Sources Captivate?s Code | Advertiser Talk

This is an article I just stumbled upon, which appears to be from about 6 hours ago..

the most interesting part is this:
"With Android 2.2 just around the corner for American Samsung Galaxy S owners..."

???

I think they've been saying "With Android 2.2 just around the corner for American Samsung Galaxy S owners..." since 1965.
Really, I find articles that say the same thing since Aug 2010.... I hope so though...

Upvote 0
Ah I'd like to, I just don't want to lose all my stuff on my phone.. and I have a Mac.. so its about 10,000x more difficult..

I rooted it and stuff.. I was just hoping January would provide the 2.2 so I could do an easy update..rather then have to go through the trouble of making it happen.

Upvote 0
I'm running into a plethora of issues when trying to flash a new ROM, and I have a pretty high level of technical experience, so when people use the "just flash a ROM and stop complaining" argument, it really doesn't hold up.

You're correct. It's not easy and requires a good deal of homework and, if pursued, tissues to dry off sweaty palms the first time it's attempted. The rewards, though, are incredible from several perspectives.

Your ROM dev's thread should be able to provide you with any assistance you need. If you find that not to be the case, perhaps another ROM flavor is in order.

Upvote 0
I'm running into a plethora of issues when trying to flash a new ROM, and I have a pretty high level of technical experience, so when people use the "just flash a ROM and stop complaining" argument, it really doesn't hold up.

yeah thats what I'm worried about.. I like hacking stuff as much as the next guy but my phone is my daily tool (I travel a lot) and I can't be without my contacts or maps or mileage log etc.. so if I screw it up and lose it.. not good!

Upvote 0
yeah thats what I'm worried about.. I like hacking stuff as much as the next guy but my phone is my daily tool (I travel a lot) and I can't be without my contacts or maps or mileage log etc.. so if I screw it up and lose it.. not good!

That's understandable and, for that reason, my Plan B was to resort to using my trusty Nokia should the Captivate be out of commission for a day or two. I didn't make the decision to flash a custom ROM. Samsung made it for me.

Upvote 0
I doubt it much. Just flash a ROM and be happy =]

The custom hacked ROMs bring their own bugs and issues to the table. It's not a perfect world.

Agreed.

Your ROM dev's thread should be able to provide you with any assistance you need.

Just as with the ROMs themselves, this isn't the perfect world it's made out to be. Many bugs are just known issues and cannot be fixed. Many posts go ignored... maybe the poster doesn't provide or have enough info to investigate it, or maybe the dev(s) just doesn't have time to deal with all the posts (most ROM threads go into hundreds upon hundreds of pages, scrolling several a day).

If you find that not to be the case, perhaps another ROM flavor is in order.
Except the ROMs differ so much that having to abandon the one that has the feature set you need/want to go to one you don't like simply because they might respond quicker sort of negates going to a custom ROM to begin with. ;)

Ah I'd like to, I just don't want to lose all my stuff on my phone.. and I have a Mac.. so its about 10,000x more difficult.

Being on a Mac makes no difference. You're coming from the iTunes/syncing school of thought. This is Android. You can use something like Titanium Backup to back up all your data to the external SD card directly from your phone.

Upvote 0
Being on a Mac makes no difference. You're coming from the iTunes/syncing school of thought. This is Android. You can use something like Titanium Backup to back up all your data to the external SD card directly from your phone.

Ok you're right! but getting rooted was a PITA.. I tried using my virtual installation of XP with no luck, nor could I do it on my father's work IBM laptop because he didn't have admin privileges..

I finally did it on an ancient Gateway.. but now that I'm rooted I can do the ROM and I had the Titanium backup but I couldn't understand how it worked..do I need to have an external micro sd installed? Can you point me to a how to?

Its true I'm from the apple world and one of the things that drove me nuts rooting was everyone had their own way of doing it, with about an equal number of ways it failed or succeed..

At least with jailbreaking it works or it bricks!

thanks all for your help!

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by sremick

Just as with the ROMs themselves, this isn't the perfect world it's made out to be. Many bugs are just known issues and cannot be fixed. Many posts go ignored... maybe the poster doesn't provide or have enough info to investigate it, or maybe the dev(s) just doesn't have time to deal with all the posts (most ROM threads go into hundreds upon hundreds of pages, scrolling several a day).

Certainly applicable to some ROMs, and your campaign to alert folks to the pitfalls / realities of adopting a custom ROM has a degree of merit...especially for noobs.

Although we've gotten a bit OT, I must offer that the 5x flavor of Serendipity is incredible. By that I mean that the ROM's thread pages subsequent to this version's release are filled with requests for what many may deem insignificant UI modifications. Why? Because the ROM has proven to be so solid that users are grasping at straws for "something" to request. It's that good.

And I don't settle.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones