• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This is making me angry....iPhone doesnt do this....

This is making me angry. The following aps are running and I did not open them

Email
AT&T Navigator
Asphalt 6
OkCupid
Maps
Skout
Facebook

Why in the world are these aps opening up when I did not open them. I bought the $5 task killer and when i use it it still does not close them. And it seems like my battery is going faster then it should. I have a samsung captivate glide.

The task killer is what is killing your battery. All those things are running on the iPhone as well, you just don't see them because you don't have access to that level of the OS. If email wasn't running in the background, you'd never receive any email unless you manually launched the program and told it to check. Same thing with Facebook. The others are location based apps so they run and track where you are so when you launch them you don't have to wait 20 minutes while they figure out where you are. Because of how Android does resource management, none of them are going to have a significant effect on your battery life. Killing the apps and re-launching them over and over again will kill your battery though.

Upvote 0
Rooting technically voids the warranty, but the manufacturers would have to prove that rooting caused the issue in the first place.

Rooting ranges from easy to complex, depending on the device. Most devices are easy to root

Ironically I read this thread title the wrong way, hah!! I use an iPhone 4S and iPad 2 along with my Android, and there are SO MANY things that my iPhone 4S / iPad 2 can't do that it makes me angry sometimes!!! :D

I really feel so limited with my iPhone / iPad 2 sometimes I am amazed that Apple can still pull the wool over so many people to want to buy their junk.

Reactions: jerofld
Upvote 0
Honestly what does root do? And how hard is it? Is it like disabling the warrenty?

Like AndroidSPCS said, rooting voids a part of your warranty. The manufacturer has to be able to prove that rooting caused the defect. If they can even determine the phone was rooted in the first place.

But what rooting does is give you administrative access to your own device. novox77 wrote a pretty good guide to what rooting is in this thread:

http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all-things-root/389787-beginners-guide-rooting-android-devices.html

Please note that is the Evo 3D subforum, so if you wander outside of that thread, it's specifically for that device. But the information in that thread applies universally to Android rooting.

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
I always give the same advice. Get "Power Tutor" App. You will find out exactly what is causing your drain. Some apps appear to be running but will only use a fraction of your battery. Other apps will burn your battery. I use Power Tutor to select the more power efficient versions.

Upvote 0
This is making me angry. The following aps are running and I did not open them

Email
AT&T Navigator
Asphalt 6
OkCupid
Maps
Skout
Facebook

Why in the world are these aps opening up when I did not open them. I bought the $5 task killer and when i use it it still does not close them. And it seems like my battery is going faster then it should. I have a samsung captivate glide.

Please check this link. It is the same one I posted in your question earlier with this question. http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/493376-services-running-background-i-dont-want.html#post3885297

If you have any questions about how android or android multitasking functions, please let me know :).

Upvote 0
So basically you guys are telling me that these aps no matter what are just going to open?

Another thing. How do i disable email so like you said i have to manual refresh it?

What are some things that I can do to Majorly save battery life. ]

This is one thing that makes me wish i never got rid of the iPhone.

Any ideas?
Easy way to disable e mail and stuff like Facebook from syncing on their own, so you have to refresh them manually, is just turn off background data. This will help your battery life some as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones