• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root This seems like a silly question to ask, but...

I have setCPU and OneClickLagFix stuff set up, would I have to revert changes and/or get rid of these applications if updating to Froyo? If that's the case, would I have to buy SetCPU again?

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to make sure everything is done correctly so as not to brick my device. Thanks in advance for any responses!

I have setCPU and OneClickLagFix stuff set up, would I have to revert changes and/or get rid of these applications if updating to Froyo? If that's the case, would I have to buy SetCPU again?

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to make sure everything is done correctly so as not to brick my device. Thanks in advance for any responses!

First, welcome!

It is unknown what environment Froyo will expect to find prior to successfully updating the phones. Any apps purchased but deleted (uninstalled) will need to be re-downloaded and should not require additional payment...assuming your Google account setup remains static.

Be careful with SetCPU. Settings that are too aggressive have been known to cause problems.

Reactions: slophil3
Upvote 0
Thanks for the welcome!

And thank you for the information, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. About setCPU though, what profile settings would you say is sufficient for mid-to-high web browsing, graphing calculator use, etc? I'm not interested in games but may watch movies on it later on. Currently I use:

Main - 1000 max, 400 min(performance)
Charging/Full - 1000 max, 400 min(performance)
Screen off - 800 max, 400 min(ondemand)
Battery < 25% - 800 max, 200 min(ondemand)
Temp > 50 C - 400 max, 200 min(ondemand)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the welcome!

And thank you for the information, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. About setCPU though, what profile settings would you say is sufficient for mid-to-high web browsing, graphing calculator use, etc? I'm not interested in games but may watch movies on it later on. Currently I use:

Main - 1000 max, 400 min(performance)
Charging/Full - 1000 max, 400 min(performance)
Screen off - 800 max, 400 min(ondemand)
Battery < 25% - 800 max, 200 min(ondemand)
Temp > 50 C - 400 max, 200 min(ondemand)

I don't use SetCPU, so I recommend that you read a cross-section of replies via Google with the obvious keywords "setcpu recommended settings," plus this thread from our own forum:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/133998-what-your-setcpu-settings-captivate.html

Upvote 0
I would put money on you definitely needing to undo OCLF before updating. The dirty things it does to the filesystem will not survive an OS update.

In fact, if you're worried about bricking, lagfixes (laghacks) are not for you. Particularly the method used in OCLF, which adds a vulnerable ext2 (17yo technology) filesystem on top of a virtualization layer (translate: house of cards). This creates a much more-complicated environment more-vulnerable to something going horribly wrong.

"easy to install" doesn't mean "safe".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones