• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Those in the know: Can you change the EVO homescreen?

Sprockethead

Android Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2010
All of the marketing and news literature out there shows it with that giant "analog-flip-clock" at the top. I just don't like it. Is there a way to change that out? I figure that there is a way to do it, but just wanted to make sure. I was hoping to make the home screen a little more sleek, without the virtual "phone" button on it, and without what look like virtual + - buttons.

I'm asking because I assume that this functions the same as other HTC phones, and I've never owned one. I'm thinking that somebody who has owned a T-Mobile HTC or something could answer.

I've never owned a smart phone...so I'm not the best to answer this...but heck...you have no replies..so here goes. YES! It is my understanding that this is a widget. They have other clocks that you can put on the front...some that look like real clocks etc. The one hesitation I have is that I'm not sure you can completely remove the clock altogether...but I would think this must be an option. Also, the Sense UI...from HTC...which is what you are seeing has the option for different wall papers...some live...that move or react to your touch or phone movement...and others that are static. That clock widget you see is extremely popular...it has even been desired enough that some other apps were created to try and duplicate it's flip clock effect. And..the weather changes on screen too....if it's rainy where you're at...you will see clouds creep onto the screen...and rain...etc. I really think someone else will finish this answer more definitively....but I'm pretty sure your able to customize it to the point you desire. :D

Upvote 0
All of the marketing and news literature out there shows it with that giant "analog-flip-clock" at the top. I just don't like it. Is there a way to change that out? I figure that there is a way to do it, but just wanted to make sure. I was hoping to make the home screen a little more sleek, without the virtual "phone" button on it, and without what look like virtual + - buttons.

I'm asking because I assume that this functions the same as other HTC phones, and I've never owned one. I'm thinking that somebody who has owned a T-Mobile HTC or something could answer.

The clock is nothing more than a widget, drag it to the bottom and delete it then you can either substitute it with another clock or choose not to use one. I personally love he HTC clock but you can change replace anything you want.

Upvote 0
There's a few different clock widgets you could use instead, some include weather info and some don't. You could go without the widget altogether and just use the little clock in the top notification bar too.

You're stuck with the phone button on the bottom unless you flash a different rom. I don't think simply rooting the phone disables it.

Upvote 0
There's a few different clock widgets you could use instead, some include weather info and some don't. You could go without the widget altogether and just use the little clock in the top notification bar too.

You're stuck with the phone button on the bottom unless you flash a different rom. I don't think simply rooting the phone disables it.

You don't need to root to flash a ROM, and if you really hated the phone button simply look for a custom ROM once they come out and find one that suits your needs, flash it and you're done.

Upvote 0
Pretty much the same question, I have the flip clock with weather and like it. I have 8 other icons on the home screen, only 2 of which I want. I would like to replace Voicemail with say a short cut to Open Sudoku. The original icons seem to be hard coded. I found a 'add to home screen' option, none of the icons/shortcuts/whatever are available.

Thanks for any help
Ed

Upvote 0
Pretty much the same question, I have the flip clock with weather and like it. I have 8 other icons on the home screen, only 2 of which I want. I would like to replace Voicemail with say a short cut to Open Sudoku. The original icons seem to be hard coded. I found a 'add to home screen' option, none of the icons/shortcuts/whatever are available.

Thanks for any help
Ed

To delete an icon off of the home screen you need to long press (press and hold for a couple seconds) and then drag it down to the bottom to remove it. Tapping the + sign to the right of the word Phone on your home screen will allow you to choose other shortcuts and widgets.

Reactions: edpatterson
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones