• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thoughts on the Included Nexus Ear Buds

The ear buds are OK for me, I tried them against my grado 325i over ear headphones and the buds sound muffled and a bit too lazy on the bass side of things but overall ok for free earbuds. In all honesty I have very little experiance with inearbud headphones but I would defiantly use the buds that came with the phone while out and about. FYI the sound difference between the grado and ear buds is dramatic to say the least. From my little experience of in ear headphones the few I have tried leave alot to be desired in terms of sound but offer alot in convenience. On a side note the phone does seem to drive the grados pretty well without the help of an amp. I like pretty sound :)

Upvote 0
I've found them to be fairly comfortable and sound fine. I don't expect much from most headphones anyway so as long as the sound isn't distorted, crackly, or muffled I can't tell the difference between one and any other.

I'm curious about the button/mic on the right side. Are you supposed to be able to initiate a voice search somehow? Clicking the button plays and pauses music if there was some playing already. Just wondering if there's a trick I don't know about.

Upvote 0
I've found them to be fairly comfortable and sound fine. I don't expect much from most headphones anyway so as long as the sound isn't distorted, crackly, or muffled I can't tell the difference between one and any other.

I'm curious about the button/mic on the right side. Are you supposed to be able to initiate a voice search somehow? Clicking the button plays and pauses music if there was some playing already. Just wondering if there's a trick I don't know about.
I'm not sure about your question but you can also FF / Rewind if you double click up or down on the button...just FYI.

Upvote 0
the earbuds that come with the gnex are absolutely terrible. I might throw them away or give them to my little sister. I'm no audiophile, but I usually spend a modest amount (50 to $75) for a decent pair of headphones or earbuds. Most audiophiles will easily spend atleast $150 on a pair of headphones. IMO, after about the $50 price range, it's not worth paying more for the marginal increase in sound quality. Anyway...I don't mind that they gave us bad earbuds tho, that was to be expected. The phone itself is great.

Upvote 0
There nothing special they should have come with some diffrent size ear pieces as the one it came with were worthless for me I threw some on that came with my Jlabs and they sounded okay for being included much better then the crap buds that came with the Nexus One or the Iphone . But not as good as the iBeats with the Rezound or Jlabs I own .

These would probably be $20-30 separately, I ended up giving mine to my Girlfriend she was blown away by them compared to her Ipod buds lol

Upvote 0
Th ear buds are horrible. I am an audiphile plus a musician with sensitive ears. The sound that comes out of it doesn't have any crisp feel and lacks tremendous amount of bass. This isn't good at all for an inear headphone. You can get a skully candy for under 20 and it would sound better than this. I was expecting a little more from an expensive phone like this... but i don't personally need one so its fine. But yeah, I wouldn't use this as like a replacement, just buy a new one.

Upvote 0
I didn't mind them. They're certainly better than the earbuds from some other brand (cough fruit cough). But the first thing I did when I bought the phone was jump at a set of Klipsch Image S4A earbuds. They arrived today and oh my....what a difference. I still haven't tried the phone with my Sennheiser HD280s so I can't comment on the quality of the Klipschs completely, but way better than the standards. I'm going to keep the Samsungs in the event I go somewhere where I wouldn't want to risk losing my Klipschs (thinking out of the country or something).

Upvote 0
Th ear buds are horrible. I am an audiphile plus a musician with sensitive ears. The sound that comes out of it doesn't have any crisp feel and lacks tremendous amount of bass. This isn't good at all for an inear headphone. You can get a skully candy for under 20 and it would sound better than this. I was expecting a little more from an expensive phone like this... but i don't personally need one so its fine. But yeah, I wouldn't use this as like a replacement, just buy a new one.

you're completely right. These aren't really even earbuds that would be sold separately, these are so bad that I can tell they are only meant to be packaged with something else or given away in those free gift bags you can find at conventions and would come along side a refrigerator magnet and fm radio. You could easily find earbuds for $20 bucks that are at least worth using.

No offense to google, this was to be expected, but the earbuds are crap.

Upvote 0
Everyone's ears are different and it is a completely subjective thing.

I'm an audio engineer and believe me, you can get a lot worse. These are actually quite decent for the price (free). They rival my Zune Premium Earbuds (30 dollars), but don't come close to my Sennheiser or Sony monitoring headphones (obviously). These outclass the Apple earbuds, and are definitely more balanced than anything in the Beats (ugh, terrible product) line.

Bottom line, these are better than pretty much any stock earbud-in-the-box-of-a-phone. Haven't heard the ReZound buds, but since it's Beats, I'd imagine they cost 10 dollars to make and are made in a sweatshop somewhere in China.

Besides people, they are free. Are we really complaining about free earbuds?

Upvote 0
They pretty much suck. I am not a fan of earbuds in the first place, but I've got these things crammed into my ears and everything still sounds muffled and low. I have a cheap pair of over-ear Philips headphones that sound great by comparison. If they weren't a toss-in, I'd be furious. Since they were free, they will just be thrown away

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones