• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Time to boycott Battlefield 3?

Droid Ninja

Oct 29, 2009
NJ
Battlefield 3 Limited Edition: Physical Warfare Pack Available Exclusively For Pre-Order

Because EA and DICE have decided to be greedy and ruin this promising game, I will be boycotting purchasing it until this is changed. Offering early access, giving the weapons early or special skins for weapons I am fine with. But making the weapons/items EXCLUSIVE to only pre-order games is crossing the line. The unlocks have to be made available to everyone eventually.

This is an example of content rape. Sacrifice content for stupid stupid marketing campaign to raise a couple more bucks. This is not acceptable!!!!!!

G f'ing G

Reactions: redninja
It's an LMG and a shotgun. I doubt either will be even that good. They're not giving a laser beam cannon that instantly kills the entire team in one shot.

And what is this exactly? A DLC pack, or simply if you pre-order and you get a bonus two guns extra?

If it's a DLC, then meh tons of games do exclusive extras you have to pay for.

If it's a preorder, then there's no big deal at all. It won't earn them an extra buck. People who were going to buy the game anyways still would've, they'll just pre-order it now instead of picking it up a few days after it comes out. Either way they'll still pay the $60 for the game, just a matter of sooner or later.

Upvote 0
It's an LMG and a shotgun. I doubt either will be even that good. They're not giving a laser beam cannon that instantly kills the entire team in one shot.

And what is this exactly? A DLC pack, or simply if you pre-order and you get a bonus two guns extra?

If it's a DLC, then meh tons of games do exclusive extras you have to pay for.

If it's a preorder, then there's no big deal at all. It won't earn them an extra buck. People who were going to buy the game anyways still would've, they'll just pre-order it now instead of picking it up a few days after it comes out. Either way they'll still pay the $60 for the game, just a matter of sooner or later.

Exactly what he said.

Upvote 0
Me thinks nobody actually read the article or comments.

• 1 Exclusive weapon
  • 1 Early access weapon
  • 1 Exclusive weapon mod
  • 1 Exclusive ammo type

If you pre-order the more expensive Limited edition BF3, all these wonderful items can be yours. Never to be seen or used by me who just pays for the normal version of the game.

I am all for limited editions of games. Halo Reach was a prime example. They did it the right way.

DLC's are one thing. Stripping game content then selling it to us is another. Personally, I just can not support that.

Funny enough, EA has now disabled comments in the thread posted in the OP after being BLASTED by the gaming community.

Upvote 0

• 1 Exclusive weapon
  • 1 Early access weapon
  • 1 Exclusive weapon mod
  • 1 Exclusive ammo type

If you pre-order the more expensive Limited edition BF3, all these wonderful items can be yours. Never to be seen or used by me who just pays for the normal version of the game.

I am all for limited editions of games. Halo Reach was a prime example. They did it the right way.

DLC's are one thing. Stripping game content then selling it to us is another. Personally, I just can not support that.

Funny enough, EA has now disabled comments in the thread posted in the OP after being BLASTED by the gaming community.

I still don't care lol. It's not going to make or break me purchasing the game just because a few ppl get an extra gun/ammo type/etc..

It's still going to be the best shooter available and a likely GoTY candidate.

Upvote 0

• 1 Exclusive weapon
  • 1 Early access weapon
  • 1 Exclusive weapon mod
  • 1 Exclusive ammo type

I think you mis-understood. It says "Players can storm the battlefield armed with powerful weapons and items only available in the Physical Warfare Pack". It says nothing about it not being available to anybody playing the normal version of the game. The way I read it is, if you buy the limited edition, you get the warfare pack for free. I'm almost 100% sure that the Physical warfare pack will be available as DLC for everybody at some point in time.

I could be wrong but as it has been mentioned, I don't think it's a big deal.

Upvote 0
I have all this pre-ordered direct from EA. It costs a little bit more but Battlefield games have always been of an exceptional standard that deserves my money and time.

Besides I'm a sniper and don't give a toss about a mounted light machine gun. :)

Remember Crysis 2 gave you 5 levels from the get go if you pre ordered. Unfortunately this was overshadowed by the fact it was a mediocre game.

Upvote 0
i'm a xbox fan

91182-1.jpg

bam! see what i did there?

Upvote 0
You are already getting the back to karkand pack just for buying the game, which is a free map pack. Something COD will never do. Also the fact that the guns they are giving away are not deal breakers. Probably the worst lmg in the game along with a crappy shotgun. I also think you misinterpret the "exclusive" part. They are exclusive to those two retailers stated in the UK. Nothing has been said about US pre-order bonuses and dice would also not give away something that cannot be unlocked later in the game. Overreaction by the OP. Wait for the US bonuses to be announced to see what they will be giving away and be happy you get four of the greatest maps of all time just for buying the game.

Upvote 0
It ain't that bad. WHen the first expansion pack came out for BF2, everyone who bought it could use the weapons in normal BF2. I just asked a friend to sign onto my account with the expansion and get me one weapon. Infact, all weapons were unlocked. Huge glitch to my advantage. Something tells me that there will be a bug sometime or later that will allow everyone to use it.

Upvote 0
Battlefield 3 Limited Edition: Physical Warfare Pack Available Exclusively For Pre-Order

Because EA and DICE have decided to be greedy and ruin this promising game, I will be boycotting purchasing it until this is changed. Offering early access, giving the weapons early or special skins for weapons I am fine with. But making the weapons/items EXCLUSIVE to only pre-order games is crossing the line. The unlocks have to be made available to everyone eventually.

This is an example of content rape. Sacrifice content for stupid stupid marketing campaign to raise a couple more bucks. This is not acceptable!!!!!!

G f'ing G

At our GameStops, you can usually get the pre-order stuff even if you didn't pre-order the game. I assume that's not on every game and here's my assumption:
On some of the games I got like 2 days-2 weeks after launch, I picked up the game without ever pre-ordering it. On the package it said all that mumbo jumbo about what to expect if you pre-ordered the game...well inside, it still had the stuff in it!

I assume that this is because they didn't sell all of their pre-order copies they ordered. So naturally it came back on us.

But really, this isn't something to get worked up about. Actually, pre-ordering isn't bad at all! It's actually better, even though I don't do it and loathe when they ask me if I'd like to pre-order, as you can set $5 down on the game, come back next paycheck, and put more money down, do over again instead of shelling out an entire $80 on the same day. And if you don't mind that, you can pay that $80 all before launch and still get it!

I only pre-ordered one game and that was the recent and canceled True Crime. GameStop was really cool and told me I could get my cash back or use it for store credit. Naturally, I just took my cash back.

Upvote 0
Thats nothing. MW3 is apparenlty going to charge a monthly fee for playing. It'll still be free multiplayer but if your not paying how much is going to be stripped out of the free version.

CoD should have the boycott

Yeah...I'd like to see that source too...CoD is popular, but I seriously doubt they would start charging as that would drive away people from their popular product. If anything, they may do something like Homefront and charge people by giving them a card and only being able to play for a certain amount of time. Both ideas are pretty crap and I hope they don't adopt either. I traded some guy on Craigslist my Homefront copy for his Brink copy and felt bad that he'd have to pay to play online since I used it which really sucks and shouldn't be allowed especially when people, like us on Xbox, are already paying a monthly/yearly/etc. fee to get online on top of our internet service fees.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones