• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To all complaining about $10 addon for the evo..

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were promised no additional charge for 4g, I don't even have it in my city but I'm supposed to pay for it that's bullshit.

Put it like this. You have two devices. The specs are identical except one has the ability to use WIFI. Guess what? The one that has that ability WILL COST MORE. It doesn't matter if you are never around a WIFI hotspot in your daily routine, the fact is if you happen to come across one you have the abillity to use it.

The ten dollars a month is optional! You can still use the evo with 3g and not Pay extra...

I'm not so sure about this one. I still haven't seen anything that explicitly states that the $10 is and option, but I have had several talks with Sprint and other people who have talked to Sprint that say it is required. Many business people are going to get this phone and many business people travel so at any given time, even if their hometown doesn't have wimax yet, they will be running on 4G. It's not smart business to not capitilize on this period of 4G exclusivity.

I'm sorry. Maybe I wasn't blunt enough.

If you don't like the $10 charge, don't purchase the phone. Plain and simple.

Thank you!!! That's what it all boils down to. If either you can't afford it, feel like you are being scammed, or can't comprehend that Sprint is a business that, for right now have 4G exclusively and one of the best phones coming out this year and it would be too much work to cripple some of the phone that are being shipped to non 4G areas, then don't get the phone. I won't lose any sleep over it while I am playing with mine. :p

Reactions: Oridus
Upvote 0
And accepting prices raises only leads to more price raises.

Welcome to the world where shit gets incrementally more expensive. Sprint STILL has the best value/cheapest plans compared to other providers. Even if you're using an EVO. If people want to complain about ridiculous charges, they should go to AT&T and purchase an iPhone. --->"Nuff Said"<---

Reactions: misterzeno
Upvote 0
I want this phone..
I will get this phone..
I will pay the $10/month...
I will complain every f-ing month (and more) when I pay that $10 tax...

Just because I am willing to take the slap in the face.. dont mean I have to like it!!

I just dont like the way Sprint/Dan said one thing then do another. Or how they presented it.

I agree. I'm not happy about it, but I know that businesses lie or get forced to change their minds eveyday. If I'm going to get raped atleast I will enjoy my phone. lol

Upvote 0
I agree that costs go up, but if a market is truly competitive, as costs of doing business go down, so does the cost of consumption, and adoption increases leading to higher net profits. Right now the market is not functioning properly because the cost of doing business is going down, yet consumer prices are going up.

One of the biggest advantages that Android, or any other competing OS has, is the fact that there is carrier choice, and therfore lower prices for service than iphone. If you want Android to become more widely adopted, you better hope that the price advantage remains, otherwise Apple will continue to dominate.

Upvote 0
slap_stfu.gif

Reactions: misterzeno
Upvote 0
Welcome to the world where shit gets incrementally more expensive. Sprint STILL has the best value/cheapest plans compared to other providers. Even if you're using an EVO. If people want to complain about ridiculous charges, they should go to AT&T and purchase an iPhone. --->"Nuff Said"<---

Yep because sprint can survive if more people leave over them add 10+ to all next gen phones. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Yep because sprint can survive if more people leave over them add 10+ to all next gen phones. :rolleyes:

They'll survive. You need not worry about that. If AT&T can survive with the iPhone on one of the most crippled networks with the most outrageous pricing..................................................................... yeah i'm sure Sprint will make more than enough money off of us people who aren't complaining about not having that extra double whopper value meal each month.

Upvote 0
A) Buy one less pack of cigarettes a month
B) If you don't smoke, go to McDonalds twice less a month.
C) Buy 10 less songs from iTunes a month.
D) Don't buy the phone.

It's simple. there's a bunch of options, but bitching and moaning doesn't get you anywhere. I think the phone is going to be fantastic, and I plan to be first in line at my BB.

You whine to your parents and they give you money for McDonalds don't they? Complaining does work, otherwise the corporations will walk all over the consumers. In fact, if you had just one shred of foresight, you would encourage people to whine and moan. Get enough moaners and the corporations just might listen to the demands, which you will benefit also.

As others have stated, it's not the money. Why pay more for a service you can't get? And don't tell me it subsidizes the phone price either. If that was the case, why don't they lower the monthly fee once the phone cost is recuperated? It's not $10 extra this month, its every month. 5 years from now, you'll still pay the extra $10 a month. You're so blinded by the dazzle, you fail to notice the wool being pulled over your eyes.

Reactions: kwaping
Upvote 0
Does it make sense to pay for something you cant use yet? I want this phone real bad and am will to pay full retail to get it but am thinking about waiting until 4G is available in LA, Ca. I dont travel much so it just seems a waste until I can use it here.

Thansk!

It does make sense. The fact that I get this awesome phone is reason enough for me.

I'm paying full retail too, seeing as i'm not eligible for upgrade till Jan, 2012. And i'll pay the extra $120 a month. I have been with TMO and AT&T, and the $81.20 i'll end up paying every single month for the Evo after discounts and such.... is more than worth it for a device that I will use constantly with the great service in my area.

Upvote 0
You whine to your parents and they give you money for McDonalds don't they? Complaining does work, otherwise the corporations will walk all over the consumers. In fact, if you had just one shred of foresight, you would encourage people to whine and moan. Get enough moaners and the corporations just might listen to the demands, which you will benefit also.

As others have stated, it's not the money. Why pay more for a service you can't get? And don't tell me it subsidizes the phone price either. If that was the case, why don't they lower the monthly fee once the phone cost is recuperated? It's not $10 extra this month, its every month. 5 years from now, you'll still pay the extra $10 a month. You're so blinded by the dazzle, you fail to notice the wool being pulled over your eyes.

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo blind. You're right. I have no clue about business, ethics, or policies. Absolutely zero. And you know this because you know me personally SOOOOO well. Thank you for OPENING MY EYES! I'm going to complain and complain and complain because I won't be purchasing an extra dutch apple pie this month.

Get butt hurt more over $10 plz.

Upvote 0
Does it make sense to pay for something you cant use yet? I want this phone real bad and am will to pay full retail to get it but am thinking about waiting until 4G is available in LA, Ca. I dont travel much so it just seems a waste until I can use it here.

Thanks!

I understand your point.

1. What you said makes sense and it's much better than people talking about how Hesse is the devil and how they feel betrayed

2. The only problem is people are taking this too personal. Instead of thinking of it as you are paying for something YOU can't use yet, realize you are paying for something that YOUR PHONE CAN USE RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. Again I bring up the WIFI example. If they released two versions of the the Iphone(for example) one that has WIFI access and one that doesn't. The one with WIFI ACCESS will cost more. They don't care how often you actually use it if ever. The difference is that HTC doesn't provide Wimax service so it's not going to be a fixed price attached to the device. Now there could be arguments as to why it is a recurring fee rather than a one time fee but I just chalk that up to good business sense.

Upvote 0
I hope no one's taking offense to any of these postings on the forum. It's just a place for discussion. It's not a proving ground or the venue for anything other than sharing thoughts, ideas, and facts.

My perspective on free markets is that costs don't always go down unless there are some fixed controls involved. Those controls don't have to be people or regulatory - they can be individual factors in the market. And markets are so micro-defined now that it's truly hard to even say direct competitors are direct competitors because most companies now seek to compete on distinction rather than offering something at a lower price.

Costs for consumers certainly don't go down if there are a limited number of providers with differing options. There are more sources of fuel now than ever but costs continue to rise. There is more food produced in this country for domestic consumption than we could ever consume but prices still rise. Theoretically, solar, wind, and water power should be more plentiful and cheaper than oil, gas, and coal. But they're not yet primarily because operational, labor, and investment return costs play into to pricing. That's not even taking into consideration the legal hurdles that get in the way of delivering fuel and power sources. Even the buying experiences of the Evo proves that the market isn't always free and open. BB isn't blanket matching RS $20 accessories - they're making the consumer ask and giving the store manager's discretion as to whether they match. That might change, but it's not for now. Even BB itself sometimes won't allow BB stores to match BB-online or other online site's prices. In that case, they consider the market "any retail locations within a X-mile radius."

My point is the wireless market isn't truly subject to pure market forces. Different carriers providing different services, devices, and technologies yet competing for the same customers. Why don't I have solar electricity in my house - because the providers have made it prohibitively expensive to buy and install for a number of reasons. They continue only to compete directly with other solar providers because until it's value-comparable I can't really afford any solar provider.

I wanted Google to succeed with N1. But the cold reception from the carriers made it clear that they were not interested in competing in an open market so much as they were competing by saying our market is better. Even the great Google couldn't crack this nut yet because it found that carriers were willing to work more with OEMs that already freely licensed Android and would produce carrier-specific phones more quickly, profitably, and readily while keeping N1 on the back-burner until it's no longer the "best" phone available.

I also don't like the charge, but it's what Sprint offers and is better than I can get anywhere else right now so I'll grudgingly pay but won't think about it once I've parted with the $10 and am just data-chomping to my heart's desire. I'm moving to Sprint/Evo for the phone/data combination, not because I want to make phone calls. Not telling my family that though.:)

Reactions: jadoe05
Upvote 0
i'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo blind. You're right. I have no clue about business, ethics, or policies. Absolutely zero. And you know this because you know me personally sooooo well. Thank you for opening my eyes! I'm going to complain and complain and complain because i won't be purchasing an extra dutch apple pie this month.

get butt hurt more over $10 plz.

win

Upvote 0
I thought/hoped this crap was over last week. Why did you feel the need to bump this crap? I get that it's your own thread and you probably wanted the "last word", but this crap has been beaten to death.

Edit: Wow I just used the word "crap" way too much.

My guess would be that people are just anticipating this phone so much and we are at the point where there isn't really any new info to be found out so we talk about other things. lol Either way after June, 4th (for most of us) this discussion will be moot.

Upvote 0
Are you kidding me? Is this really a thread complaining about how other people are complaining? How hypocritical of you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there are no laws that say we have to agree. This thread is really juvenile. Seriously.

We are all bored and want our phone and like talking to each other. :p

Upvote 0
Are you kidding me? Is this really a thread complaining about how other people are complaining? How hypocritical of you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there are no laws that say we have to agree. This thread is really juvenile. Seriously.

It's really never ending. Are you kidding me? Did you just really come to a thread to complain about how people are complaining about how other people are complaining. How hypocritical of you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there are no laws that say we have to agree. This post is really juvenile. Seriously

No not seriously though. I don't speak for others on here, but I'm not complaining about the complaining I am just offering up my opinion as well. If you don't like it don't read the thread or continue reading. You know why? Because that's your right. lol sorry couldn't help it. As far as my posts go it's all in good fun.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones