• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To Everyone Who IS/WAS Having GPS Problems

Via Samsung Galaxy S - Help chat support, I was told that when an update is released, it can be downloaded directly from Samsung's website. I guess that's good news. I was also told that in their small press release, by "update" they mean a software update, not "more news". I thought it was important to get clarification on this.

Visitor: Hi Stella.
Stella: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: I am wondering if there is any news from Samsung on the GPS fix for the Samsung Captivate. I have one week left before I have to return my phone and if there isn't a fix by then, I will have to trade my phone in for an iPhone 4
Stella: I am sorry for the inconvenience.
Stella: Samsung Mobile is aware that under certain conditions, the GPS on our U.S. Galaxy S devices may not be meeting performance expectations. We are diligently evaluating the situation and will provide an update as soon as possible.

Upvote 0
If samsung didn't know about the GPS problem before releasing the Captivate and Vibrant (not possible - the galaxy s was already having issues in the UK), then they certainly know now.

Think that will stop them from releasing the Epic (sprint) and Fascinate (verizon) in the coming weeks?

I dont think it will be fixed when the cdma version are released, they are going to hope that people dont know about gps issue and buy the phone because its an pretty android phone.

Upvote 0
I bought the Captivate the day of the release (18th). I haven't had a glitch with the GPS at all, and I live in Manhattan where I don't always have a clear view of the sky, but I lock consistently within seconds, and the accuracy is always within 5 meters. I must be one of the lucky FEW that got a 'good' phone.

I HOPE Samsung releases an update (software fix) for the masses that own and are about to return their Galaxy S. I can tell you as someone that owns one that works properly and as it should, it's seriously an incredible phone.

Hears hoping for a quick update soon! *Cheers*

Upvote 0
I bought the Captivate the day of the release (18th). I haven't had a glitch with the GPS at all, and I live in Manhattan where I don't always have a clear view of the sky, but I lock consistently within seconds, and the accuracy is always within 5 meters. I must be one of the lucky FEW that got a 'good' phone.

I HOPE Samsung releases an update (software fix) for the masses that own and are about to return their Galaxy S. I can tell you as someone that owns one that works properly and as it should, it's seriously an incredible phone.

I'll trade you.

Upvote 0

Have you run gps test or whatever that app is called? If you have do you get an full lock on all of the satellites. When i first got replacement got lock on all of satellites , but now on both new and old cap takes long time get a lock if it does at att. Even when it gets a lock i dont get an full lock on all the satellites i get 4/7 or 5/8 something like that.

Upvote 0
I am new member here and this is my first post. First of all, I would like to thank all the contributors to this forum. I got a lot of information from this forum that has helped me use my Captivate much better than I myself could have done.

Regarding GPS, as with everyone, it didn't work for me for some time. I found one other thread in this forum (I guess) which suggested to to run the lbsTestMode (Get GPS Position Test) and keep it running in the background and run Google maps to get navigational direction. I tried this about 4 days ago and GPS Position Test gets the lock in about 5-15 sec with about 8-9 satellites on avg. and Google map subsequently works flawlessly (well, within 10-20 mts accuracy). Now I have been trying this for last 4 days on different routes and everytime it has worked.
I live in Minneapolis suburb, my phone is manufactured on 7/10/2010 and the settings I use are
Use Wireless Network unchecked
MS Based, Cold Start, Skyhook ON
custom config, supl.google.com, 7276

while workarounds are not permanent fixes, I guess, if it continue to work, I will keep the phone and wait for Samsung to release a permanet fix.

Once again, thanks to all for great posts in the forum

Upvote 0
So I just went to AT&T and got my Captivate exchanged for a new one and guess what? No GPS problems anymore!! I was getting a lock on my previous one but it was off by 1-2 blocks. With this, it is definitely better, I would not say it's as perfect as my BB was, but it's good enough for me now. Small thing to overlook for a phone which does everything else!

Upvote 0
So I just went to AT&T and got my Captivate exchanged for a new one and guess what? No GPS problems anymore!! I was getting a lock on my previous one but it was off by 1-2 blocks. With this, it is definitely better, I would not say it's as perfect as my BB was, but it's good enough for me now. Small thing to overlook for a phone which does everything else!

brand new phones will always lock on for first day or two , then things go a little wonky. my replacement worked very well for first day was getting solid locks seeing every satellite , after a few more day it was just as bad as my orig captivate

Upvote 0
OK... I have some new settings for you all to try.

I've tried stock settings (which were horrible), and the "recommended" settings, which gave mixed results. So, I decided to try something completely different -- and I've had great results:

Application Settings:
Session Mode: Tracking
Test Mode: S/W
Operation Mode: MS Assisted
Start Mode: Cold Start
GPS Plus: ON
Dynamic Accuracy: OFF
Accuracy: 50
Use Skyhook: ON
Use PC Tool: OFF

SUPL/CP Settings:
Server FQDN Type: AUTO Config
Server (auto-set): h-slp.mnc410.mcc310.pub.3gpp...
Server port (auto-set): 7275
SUPL Secure Socket: OFF
AGPS Mode: SUPL

I deleted the GPS data, and rebooted the phone.

Using GPS Test, I had locks in less than ~30 seconds, reliably. The phone never found more than 8 satellites.. but it didn't need to -- it stayed locked on to at least 5 at all times, and accuracy never went above ~32 feet after about a minute. I have still yet to test these settings over the long-haul, but thought I'd share... let me know if it works for you!

Upvote 0
OK... I have some new settings for you all to try.

I've tried stock settings (which were horrible), and the "recommended" settings, which gave mixed results. So, I decided to try something completely different -- and I've had great results:

Application Settings:
Session Mode: Tracking
Test Mode: S/W
Operation Mode: MS Assisted
Start Mode: Cold Start
GPS Plus: ON
Dynamic Accuracy: OFF
Accuracy: 50
Use Skyhook: ON
Use PC Tool: OFF

SUPL/CP Settings:
Server FQDN Type: AUTO Config
Server (auto-set): h-slp.mnc410.mcc310.pub.3gpp...
Server port (auto-set): 7275
SUPL Secure Socket: OFF
AGPS Mode: SUPL

I deleted the GPS data, and rebooted the phone.

Using GPS Test, I had locks in less than ~30 seconds, reliably. The phone never found more than 8 satellites.. but it didn't need to -- it stayed locked on to at least 5 at all times, and accuracy never went above ~32 feet after about a minute. I have still yet to test these settings over the long-haul, but thought I'd share... let me know if it works for you!

Unbelievable.

I want to put out a call for people to post "solutions" that have NO server URL's.

Attachments

• 400_prayer-service-jesus-weeping.jpg
    400_prayer-service-jesus-weeping.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 0
What server URL am I missing? I posted the one that shows up under SUPL/CP settings (which is auto-set anyway).

PS: Save the attitude.. I'm just trying to help, as I suspect most people here are doing.

I apologize for the "attitude". My problem is that I am frequently checking here for a solution and I keep seeing people post "workarounds" whereby I assume they don't fully comprehend the problem. This just causes me to become frustrated, sorry for it to show thru in my post.

That server field has nothing whatsoever to do with how the GPS works and will never play a role in "fixing" the problem.

I wish we had two threads: One for people to waste time on "workarounds" and another for those of use waiting for a solution to the GPS problem.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the apology.. I fully understand we all want *the* solution, and not another "workaround" :D

I wish we had two threads: One for people to waste time on "workarounds" and another for those of use waiting for a solution to the GPS problem.

Might as well fiddle with the settings while we wait for the real solution... who knows, maybe they will work for some people? They seem to work for me so far... thought I'd share.

I'm certain when a real fix is posted by Samsung, it will spread like wildfire on these forums (and be immediately "Stickied" with a new post).

Upvote 0
brand new phones will always lock on for first day or two , then things go a little wonky. my replacement worked very well for first day was getting solid locks seeing every satellite , after a few more day it was just as bad as my orig captivate

Ah, that sucks. Funny thing is my original Captivate was bad from day one. This looks decent and I haven't even applied the tweaks yet. Still on factory settings, if things get bad I'll apply the tweaks.

They worked fine on my previous Captivate, but I thought it was ridiculous that I had to apply tweaks that's why I returned it.

Fingers crossed!

Upvote 0
I am new member here and this is my first post. First of all, I would like to thank all the contributors to this forum. I got a lot of information from this forum that has helped me use my Captivate much better than I myself could have done.

Regarding GPS, as with everyone, it didn't work for me for some time. I found one other thread in this forum (I guess) which suggested to to run the lbsTestMode (Get GPS Position Test) and keep it running in the background and run Google maps to get navigational direction. I tried this about 4 days ago and GPS Position Test gets the lock in about 5-15 sec with about 8-9 satellites on avg. and Google map subsequently works flawlessly (well, within 10-20 mts accuracy). Now I have been trying this for last 4 days on different routes and everytime it has worked.
I live in Minneapolis suburb, my phone is manufactured on 7/10/2010 and the settings I use are
Use Wireless Network unchecked
MS Based, Cold Start, Skyhook ON
custom config, supl.google.com, 7276

while workarounds are not permanent fixes, I guess, if it continue to work, I will keep the phone and wait for Samsung to release a permanet fix.

Once again, thanks to all for great posts in the forum
Just so everyone is informed, if you allow the LbsTestMode app to run the Get Position Test in the background, it'll poll the satellites ALL the time. This in turn will drain the battery. I don't know how much of a battery drain it is, but I'd prefer to on-demand this Get Position Test. This will be indicated by the animated little GPS icon type thing where you see the time, at the far left.

The whole point is with my standalone bluetooth GPS receiver, I can power it on indoors next to the window and it'll get a lock in a couple of minutes. I should expect my Captivate to have similar performance.

Upvote 0
Tried to chat with support today as I figured that the more complaints the faster they will make a fix. But it said that the chat does not support cell phones...so what chat did you guys use?

Chat is at galaxyshelp.com. just to let you know...sine they don't file a ticket when you chat it never gets doccumented...meaning beyond the chat Rep Samsung never finds out how severe the problem is. Instead use that link to call them instead. ..ask for level two or three support and log a ticket with a ticket number. Then Samsung will know for sure. Also call your carrier and let tech support know.

Upvote 0
So I just went to AT&T and got my Captivate exchanged for a new one and guess what? No GPS problems anymore!! I was getting a lock on my previous one but it was off by 1-2 blocks. With this, it is definitely better

Get back to us in a few days. 100 other people have had the same initial experience after a factory reset or exchange, thinking it solved it, only to have it again deteriorate after 1-3 days of use.

Upvote 0
That is funny, I had to re-flash my Captivate because I deleted Gtalk and the market would not download anything. While the re-flash solved the market download problem, I notice the GPS performance isn't as crisp as it was prior to the re-flash.

Also, anyone else notice if you place the Captivate sort of on your leg while using the GPS to navigate, it'll drop the GPS signal immediately. However I put the Captivate on the passenger’s seat, no loss of GPS signal. Strange.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones