• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To Everyone Who IS/WAS Having GPS Problems

I'm one of the lucky ones whos GPS worked the first week, then would not lock on at all thereafter. I did some diggin' on the XDA forum and the following settings work really well for me in my location( Palmdale, CA ):
Application Settings/Operation Mode/MS Based
Application Settings/Operation Mode/SkyHook/ON (VERY IMPORTANT)
SUPL/CP Settings/Server FQDN Type/Custom Config
SUPL/CP Settings/Server/supl.google.com
SUPL/CP Settings/Server Port/7276
SUPL/CP Settings/SUPL Secure Socket/Off
Is this with Use Wireless networks enabled?

Upvote 0
Then I would expect us as consumers to take this matter into the courts and demand an answer from Samsung. A post on a twitter account saying Fix Soon is in no way acceptable after spending $200-300 or more for the unlocked device AND/OR having the two year agreement with your wireless provider.

Court? Sorry to sound so harsh but... what a joke!

Upvote 0
After trying these "fixes" I can at least get a lock although as you can see - it isn't too precise. According to this tracking, I was running through my neighbor's yards and hopping fences... :D
20100903-prykx5gqn8ibam3gryf754h874.png

Upvote 0
Application Settings
Session Type: Tracking
Test Mode: S/W Test
Operation Mode: MS Based
Start Mode: Hot Start
GPS Plus: ON
Dynamic Accuracy: ON
Accuracy: 100
Use Skyhook: ON
Use PC Tool: OFF

SUPL/CP Settings
Server FQDN Type: AUTO Config
SUPL Secure Socket: ON
AGPS Mode: SUPL

Post 319, thank you, THANK YOU!!! I now have a secure lock with in 1 foot of my location, even closer. I followed directions and also have skyhook on. I do NOT have my "use wireless networks" checked. Seems to hinder the lock. I was ready to take my second Captivate back today. Have tried everything. Hope it lasts.

Upvote 0
Why do people keep posting nonsense about the GPS update not going to happen or will happen sometime in the distant future. They have come out and said it will be in september, if it isn't I don't think they would make a statement like that. There are numerous letter responses that users have posted from AT&T and Samsung about the update coming soon. The only thing that these type of comments are doing is scaring off potential users. God forbid the update being a month or 2 late, I rather have a bug-less fix then something rushed out because people are so impatient...

Upvote 0
FWIW, I am on my second Captivate, during my 30 day evaluation window.

My first one, i tried all of the above settings, and even left 3G geolocation on to prime the ephermeris for the local almanac.

Didn't matter, no lock.

The new one, I get lock on 7-8 satellites from a pool of 9-10. Accuracy is 16.4 feet. This is persistent through a hard boot, and without wireless networks enabled.

Now, I have heard some say that GPS worked perfectly when their Captivate was new, and then it got progressively worse.

Just throwing out my data points. As long as the GPS functions work and my WiFi functions (though it is still 1/2 of an ipod touch, but still better than the earlier model), I am happy.

Now, my Captivate seems the equal of the EVO 4G I had, plus it is much more pocket-friendly and portable.

Upvote 0
I been using the supl.google.com server which is also the default on the galaxy s i9000 rom. I get locks in 30 seconds now. Where the spirent server was producing locks in two or three minutes. I restored the stock captivate rom JF6 on Tuesday this week. So far still good and use wireless networks is not enabled.

Upvote 0
For what its worth...
I have been lurking around trying to glean as much as possible on this GPS deal. I had screwed with my settings as mentioned early in this post, but had intermittent luck.
Just today, I sat down and made sure I had everything perfectly as described...(my "operation mode" was not set to "MS based"). I now get a lock within 10 - 20 seconds.
Google maps got my location perfectly within 30 seconds.
I will monitor my Captivate randomly and keep you posted on any drastic changes or SNAFUs.
I will say this...I've only had WinMo phones by HTC in the past. This Captivate is light years ahead as far as I'm concerned.

All the best!

RH

Upvote 0
For what its worth...
I have been lurking around trying to glean as much as possible on this GPS deal. I had screwed with my settings as mentioned early in this post, but had intermittent luck.
Just today, I sat down and made sure I had everything perfectly as described...(my "operation mode" was not set to "MS based"). I now get a lock within 10 - 20 seconds.
Google maps got my location perfectly within 30 seconds.
I will monitor my Captivate randomly and keep you posted on any drastic changes or SNAFUs.
I will say this...I've only had WinMo phones by HTC in the past. This Captivate is light years ahead as far as I'm concerned.

All the best!

RH
****UPDATE*****
I tried again this AM...wouldn't lock in Google Maps, but locked when using the *#*#147... So, I uninstalled Maps, went to Market and reloaded Maps. Now I get my location in under 60 seconds.

Just FYI

RH

Upvote 0
Application Settings
Session Type: Tracking
Test Mode: S/W Test
Operation Mode: MS Based
Start Mode: Hot Start
GPS Plus: ON
Dynamic Accuracy: ON
Accuracy: 100
Use Skyhook: ON
Use PC Tool: OFF

SUPL/CP Settings
Server FQDN Type: AUTO Config
SUPL Secure Socket: ON
AGPS Mode: SUPL

Post 319, thank you, THANK YOU!!! I now have a secure lock with in 1 foot of my location, even closer. I followed directions and also have skyhook on. I do NOT have my "use wireless networks" checked. Seems to hinder the lock. I was ready to take my second Captivate back today. Have tried everything. Hope it lasts.

I just tried this also and i have lock within 15 seconds inside my house. I will test it while driving today.
Thanks

Upvote 0
I had loads of GPS issues today, I had upgraded over the air with the AT&T fix that apparently does little to fix GPS problems. What the fix does do however is disable that LibTestModeMenu that you can access to change GPS settings.

Luckily something that does the same thing is in the Market. LbsTestModeLaunch - Android app on AppBrain

I used the quick fix here and it seems to help a lot, I can get a lock pretty fast now, but I'll be testing this in the future.
Quick fix for GPS issues on your new Samsung Galaxy S series phone | Android Central

Ok so just quickly here's what I did to get a quick GPS fix

#0. Get the over-the-air At&t update if you haven't already, go to Settings>Software Update, Check for update
#1. Download GPS Status and GPS Test -- both good GPS testing programs
#2 Download LbsTestModeLaunch by Tomatox in the Market
#3 Open LibTestModeLaunch, ... Under “SUPL/CP Settings” Change the SERVER & PORT
to supl.google.com and port 7276. Don't forget to write down your old settings before you change them.
#4. Click

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones