• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root To Root or not to Root?

JonnyCerv

Nov 14, 2009
First time Android owner. Came from storm. Probably messed around with every hybrid out there for the Storm...and loved deleting factory apps that I never use.

I don't know much about the droid OS, and I feel like rooting is a different game that trying a BB Hybrid OS, especially since I used some Shrink OS programs with nice interface to do the job. But I am a true smart-phone junkie like the most of us, and I just don't want to be limited my Droid if I don't have too. Hate the idea of not optimizing this baby.

So the question....do I attempt a Root?

Pros? Cons? Worried I won't know what to do if I mess up?

Feel free to PM me with suggestions and possible benefits if for some reason they shouldn't be talked about.

Thanks.

Whenever anyone posts questions like "Should I root?" ... or "Should I get a DROID?", my knee-jerk reaction is always, "NO!!!". I simply don't believe in talking anybody into anything. I feel if you're hesitating, you probably shouldn't be doing it. :(

But I knew the moment I got home with my brand new DROID that it was going to be modded, rooted, hacked, cracked, over-clocked, customized, accessorized, pimped out, tricked-out, and SMOKIN'!!! Mwahaha
happy.png

Now ... are you ready to ROCK? Or what? . . .
hellomoto.gif

Upvote 0
First time Android owner. Came from storm. Probably messed around with every hybrid out there for the Storm...and loved deleting factory apps that I never use.

I don't know much about the droid OS, and I feel like rooting is a different game that trying a BB Hybrid OS, especially since I used some Shrink OS programs with nice interface to do the job. But I am a true smart-phone junkie like the most of us, and I just don't want to be limited my Droid if I don't have too. Hate the idea of not optimizing this baby.

So the question....do I attempt a Root?

Pros? Cons? Worried I won't know what to do if I mess up?

Feel free to PM me with suggestions and possible benefits if for some reason they shouldn't be talked about.

Thanks.

I am in the same boat as you. I came from the Storm and took a short ride with the Droid Eris before getting the Moto Droid. I knew my BB in and out and I learned how to do all of the OS and hybrid installs. I do not know jack about Linux and the Droid OS. Can I learn, I am 100% sure, but when I read some of the post on how to root my phone or install Android 2.1, it is like I am reading mumbo jumbo. If you want to do it and feel you can, I say do it.

I have downloaded other aspects of 2.1 on my droid with out rooting it and my phone has the look and feel of 2.1. Maybe you want to look into that.

Upvote 0
Whenever anyone posts questions like "Should I root?" ... or "Should I get a DROID?", my knee-jerk reaction is always, "NO!!!". I simply don't believe in talking anybody into anything. I feel if you're hesitating, you probably shouldn't be doing it. :(

But I knew the moment I got home with my brand new DROID that it was going to be modded, rooted, hacked, cracked, over-clocked, customized, accessorized, pimped out, tricked-out, and SMOKIN'!!! Mwahaha
happy.png

Now ... are you ready to ROCK? Or what? . . .
hellomoto.gif

You can overclock a Droid?!!! By the way, what do you mean by customized, pimped out, tricked out and smokin?...In what ways is customizability different by being rooted? Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
You can overclock a Droid?!!! By the way, what do you mean by customized, pimped out, tricked out and smokin?...In what ways is customizability different by being rooted? Thanks in advance :)

Wouldn't do it though, it breaks some things, like Wifi.

As for customization, rooting lets you change every facet of the phone as you have administrative privilege over each file on the phone. That being said, the most common UI difference would be a custom notification bar and shade.

But with root, talented people can edit almost any part of the UI.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't do it though, it breaks some things, like Wifi.

As for customization, rooting lets you change every facet of the phone as you have administrative privilege over each file on the phone. That being said, the most common UI difference would be a custom notification bar and shade.

But with root, talented people can edit almost any part of the UI.

Break? So If you overclock it actually breaks? Or it just dosen't work until you stop overclocking? And, the customization factor is just notification bar, shading, and access to all files. Dosen't seem like a big upside.

Upvote 0
Break? So If you overclock it actually breaks? Or it just dosen't work until you stop overclocking? And, the customization factor is just notification bar, shading, and access to all files. Dosen't seem like a big upside.

It doesn't physically break anything, it breaks the functionality. The overclock is achieved by running a custom kernel, so you don't just turn it on/off. The sacrifice is wifi functionality.

As for the 'upside' of rooting, I wouldn't say that UI customization is significantly improved by rooting. The benefits are that you can flash custom ROMs that include functionality above and beyond the stock software, run programs that can give you deeper level benefits (my favorite being adfree, which blocks 99% of ads), etc.

Anyways, as all these threads end up. If you have to ask if you should root or not, the answer is most likely don't do it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones