• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Toilet recommendations?

I bought my current hall toilet after the lower flush law was passed. I bought it from a plumber friend that had a couple left over that he couldn't legally install. I was happy to score the toilet and he was happy to see it get out of his inventory.

The problem I recently ran across was replacing the float / fill mechanism. The old mechanism gave it up and finding a full tank filler at Lowes wasn't easy. I finally found a contractor's model that was adjustable to raise the height so that I could continue to be wasteful and enjoy a one flush routine.

Upvote 0
I'd just drive up to a state with plenty of water with good old fashion 3GPF toilets and bring one home.
Believe me, I've thought about it. The whole thing is silly when you consider that MORE water is being used when a toilet isn't powerful enough to do the job on one flush! I don't see how multiple flushes = saving water. :thinking:

Upvote 0
I have older flush-valve (flushometer) toilets that are stupid simple, with only 3 parts- diaphragm, handle and vacuum breaker. The typical service on them is replacing the diaphragm every few years which takes a few minutes and it's maybe a $15 part. If the breaker goes it's also cheap and quick. Eventually the rod in the handle wears down and can be replaced by itself or by swapping the whole handle. That's about it and they're 3.5 gpf. Drive a Volkswagen into the bowl and flush, it's gone.
Years ago the city was giving out free low-flush toilets, I wisely declined. Those who took them were not happy.

Upvote 0
And then there is always the "brick in the tank" trick ....

laughinghard

Upvote 0
Believe me, I've thought about it. The whole thing is silly when you consider that MORE water is being used when a toilet isn't powerful enough to do the job on one flush! I don't see how multiple flushes = saving water. :thinking:

This is how politics can even make a disaster out of taking a dump.

The 'New Green Deal' will have us all pooping outdoors before long!

Upvote 0
This is how politics can even make a disaster out of taking a dump.

The 'New Green Deal' will have us all pooping outdoors before long!
Well, my dogs have been doing that forever, so maybe there's something to it.... :thinking:

That reminded me of something: I was going to say, and you know, you can compost poop! So that reminded me that among the toilets I've seen are....ready?.....COMPOSTING TOILETS!!!

I guess that eliminates clogs, right? Because I'm guessing solids never leave the bowl. I'm all for composting, and used to do it religiously when I was gardening, but using feces--human or otherwise--is not particularly appealing to me.

Upvote 0
Well, my dogs have been doing that forever, so maybe there's something to it.... :thinking:

That reminded me of something: I was going to say, and you know, you can compost poop! So that reminded me that among the toilets I've seen are....ready?.....COMPOSTING TOILETS!!!

I guess that eliminates clogs, right? Because I'm guessing solids never leave the bowl. I'm all for composting, and used to do it religiously when I was gardening, but using feces--human or otherwise--is not particularly appealing to me.

My buddy (yes, the same one as in the story) says that his dad used to spray their waste all over the garden, which was huge.

They had constant issues with the septic tank being full and the 'field' getting clogged up.
So his father would have the tank pumped and the contents sprayed.

I guess their garden was amazing, and the blueberry bushes and apple trees that were left had some of the best fruit I have ever ate.
You could literally eat apples until you were full and not get sick, or even get the 'green apple splatters'.

The blueberries were sweet, not sour like the mutant pooberries at the supermarket.

Unfortunately, the blueberry bushes and the best apple tree were destroyed when his new home was put in.

I found out about the spraying when we were digging to put the electric in (new home and two previously unwired out buildings).

We hit PVC pipe that had been drilled sll over like a Wiffle ball, and I asked him what it was.

His father had made the entire septic tank and field for it himself out of whatever was available.

The field was perforated PVC pipe, and the tank was made from an old silo.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
One of the most notorious hoarders ever profiled on one of the hoarding shows I watch, Shanna, had septic tank problems. So she--and her mother (now deceased)--collected her waste (both kinds) in huge buckets, then--when the HUGE bucket got too heavy to lift--she'd scoop using pitchers to transfer a manageable amount to a smaller bucket, then she'd take that outside--splashing and sloshing all around--and toss it on the ground. After we saw that, she was preparing dinner and was asked, so do you wash your hands first or...? No...not really. UGH.

As for beautiful gardens, take a look at some of the pictures I posted in my gallery. I grow spectacular flowers and fruit, and you'll not find an iota of excrement anywhere near them! :D

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Although I haven't actually made a purchase yet, I'm *reasonably* sure that I'm going with a Kohler air-pressure model. Kohler was the brand I had in mind from the get-go, so seeing it as the highest rated on various sites is reassuring. As I was cussing at the....STUPID toilet yet again this morning, I said to Joy Noelle, "I can't WAIT to get rid of this BLEEPING thing!!!"

I understand the pressure-assisted toilets are noisier, but really, I don't care. I'm aware that repair costs will be higher, so I may do something I rarely do: buy an extended warranty. I don't know yet.

All things considered, I think the pressure-assisted type is the best solution. My mind's still open to suggestions, though!

Upvote 0
If I were replacing today, it would be difficult to ignore the latest technology. My major concern would be the noise produced by the pressure assist toilets. They seem reliable enough and maintenance will surely not be a major factor. Their initial expense is not a major factor. However, the noise factor would have to be weighed. My toilet sees much use during a days time but only a few times to expel solids. It would be difficult to endure that noise needlessly if it is that annoying. It seems that annoying to me in a public restroom but there is zero materials in such restrooms to absorb that noise. Perhaps some are engineered to be less noisy and a home setting would have to be less offensive. You have a difficult decision. If you go with a pressure assisted toilet, you will have to let us know how you like it. We will all be in the same boat all too soon.

Upvote 0
From my admittedly limited research, I really haven't seen anything like "OMFG the noise was UNBEARABLE!!!" So I'm looking at it like, yes, it'll be louder than what I'm used to, but it's not going to be eardrum-exploding loud.

I'm so sick and tired of dealing with this awful toilet, I just want the exact opposite. If there was some way to get an industrial toilet [legally] installed, I'd consider it! :eek:

And, yes, I'll definitely post an update once it's all said and done. I don't know anyone in real life with a pressure-assisted toilet, so this will be a first!

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
You are seeing the pressure assist units in most all new commercial settings. There has to be a reason.. right? They have to be reliable and economical to use and get the job done. They seem noisy to me but it's a different sound than one is accustomed to. It is not an ear splitting noise and is in the very worst of acoustic environments. In a home setting I think it is something that a person could easily learn to ignore. I'm anxious for you to confirm that. :)

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with my handyman--he's been very sick (with bronchitis, not COVID), so we're tentatively looking at late next week (or the next) for him to come over. I have a ton of projects for him! I feel so blessed to have found another great "Mr FixIt"--the one I had in Dallas was amazing, and so is this one. The Dallas one was a general contractor, and could do really BIG projects, while my guy here is more of a handyman, but very, very good with constructing things and doing general projects. He's done everything for me from building custom frames (for window AC units) to repairing damage done by the police and paramedics when they broke down my kitchen door! So I know he'll do a good job.

I haven't measured the distance for the toilet yet, but from just glancing at it I'm thinking it's either 12 or 14 inches. I need to be sure before ordering.

I'm also replacing the vanity/sink with a pedestal sink. This is like deja vu. I did the same at my house in Dallas! I guess my tastes just don't change much. The sink and the toilet will have to look like they were meant to be together. I'm starting to get excited! :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The only thing I have against Kohler is the shape of the one my mother got.

Suffice it to say that the shape of it encourages quite a mess each time it eats a dump.

Hopefully the pressure assist thing works better.
The shape? Of the bowl, or what? :thinking:

I always buy elongated toilets; I haven't had a round one in decades. The elongated ones are so much more comfortable. They're better suited to that part of the anatomy, including legs, just more natural.

Upvote 0
I haven't ordered a toilet yet, but I did get a lot of other stuff ordered, including this pedestal sink:
pedestal_sink.jpg

....and this mirror to replace the mid-century square, chrome-framed mirror above the vanity:

mirror.png

The finish is brushed nickel, as will be all other items, like faucets.

These are matching medicine chest and wall cabinet:

medicine_chest.png

wall_cabinet.png

These are replacing the mid-century original, ugly-but-functional medicine chest, and the over-the-toilet shelving unit I put in about 15 years ago.

This is the Kohler faucet I chose:

faucet.png

We're baffled by something. The instructions on Home Depot say: "The rough-in size is the distance between the wall and the center of the floor drain." It has pictures illustrating that. But how are you supposed to get that measurement with the existing toilet still installed? :thinking:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I haven't ordered a toilet yet, but I did get a lot of other stuff ordered, including this pedestal sink:
View attachment 160817
....and this mirror to replace the mid-century square, chrome-framed mirror above the vanity:

View attachment 160819

The finish is brushed nickel, as will be all other items, like faucets.

These are matching medicine chest and wall cabinet:

View attachment 160820
View attachment 160821

These are replacing the mid-century original, ugly-but-functional medicine chest, and the over-the-toilet shelving unit I put in about 15 years ago.

This is the Kohler faucet I chose:

View attachment 160822

We're baffled by something. The instructions on Home Depot say: "The rough-in size is the distance between the wall and the center of the floor drain." It has pictures illustrating that. But how are you supposed to get that measurement with the existing toilet still installed? :thinking:

Either look up your exact toilet (good luck!) or take your toilet out.

You might be sharing lawnspace with the dog before you know it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones