• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Too many texts. Crashes when deleting..

I solved my problem it was driving me crazy so when I got up to over 6000 texts with one contact I went to the android market and downloaded sms quick delete once I got it I noticed it was taking forever to delete them so i started it at night and let it delete over night when I woke up they were all gone. Now I delete all of my messages at least every other day. Hooray for no more lag=D

Upvote 0
well i went onto the applications and put in delete text messages and installed a app i have 4096 texts in one thread n loads in others to.. 498 in one n 100 odd in another there was about 15 diff threads, installed a app the one with 4096 texts once ticked took about 25 mins to delete. but it worked, and better than a factory restore i'll never be letting my messages build up like that again. set my phone now to only take 150 messages per thread at a time. when i tried deleting them with out the ap it just froze my phone out n forced stop. was a right pain.. home this works for a few more ov you's

Upvote 0
"Delete old messages" is an amazing app which deletes texts that are older than a certain time-frame. If you purchase the full version it can be automated and messages can be deleted by other filters. Using this in conjunction with "SMS Backup" means that I can access even if I were to accidentally messages I might want later.

TLDR - use "delete old messages" app.

Upvote 0
Not very smart of Android to be having such problems managing SMSs, surely SMS should be a fundamental part of a mobile phone OS? Never had such problems with my Nokia; prompted by this thread I've just gone to delete SMSs from my Hero for the first time, chose a contact/thread with just a few hundred messages, and the phone took ages to clear them, dread to think how long it'll struggle with those threads of thousands!

Upvote 0
Currently I have over 2700 texts in one thread and as a result the messages app is seriously slow. But when I try to delete them the messages app crashes/freezes and even after killing the task it does not sort itself so I am forced to reboot.

How the hell do I delete these!? Is there another way or do I need to wait for the next software update that I care about?

The lag is the least of the issues, I believe this is also causing SMS Popup to crash (now uninstalled) but I really love this app :(

Any help appreciated :)

HERE U GO: http://androidforums.com/hero-all-things-root/160145-how-delete-sms-htc-hero.html

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem. I tried to delete like a hundred texts in one thread and it would take about 2 seconds per text. So if I wanted to delete a relatively small thread with say... 250 texts, it would take my Hero about 8-9 minutes to delete them all, and that is IF it deleted them successfully.

Download an app called SMS backup & restore, or a similar app. What I did was download all my texts which took maybe ten minutes, then deleted them off of my sd card from the app. It took about 3-4 minutes to go through all of my texts and delete them. Then the ones I wanted to keep I just restored them on the phone, and ~voila~! Text message problem over.

Anyone else having serious issues with their Hero? Mine freezes all the time, and its like one of the shitty flip phones when they first came out. When I text sometimes I type the whole sentence before it finishes the first word. I'm thinking about doing a factory reset. I actually don't like my Hero at all anymore. It sucks. :/

Upvote 0
Anyone else having serious issues with their Hero? Mine freezes all the time, and its like one of the shitty flip phones when they first came out. When I text sometimes I type the whole sentence before it finishes the first word. I'm thinking about doing a factory reset. I actually don't like my Hero at all anymore. It sucks. :/

Are you running android 2.1 yet?

Upvote 0
I had this problem a few months back, I had nearly 1000 texts in 1 thread and it was getting really slow to open, but would hang and then force close whenever I tried to delete it. I had my phone plugged in to my laptop in USB mode and was messing around trying to delete smaller (but still large at 100 - 300) threads while I was doing things on the PC, and one of them went in just a few mins. I realised this was much quicker than normal. So I tried the large thread (1000 texts). I had to leave it for about 15 mins but it didn't force close, it deleted the lot. I was amazed. It seems plugging the phone into a computer in USB mode really speeds up deletion! I did this in Handcent on my HTC Legend, not sure if the app makes any difference. You must not touch the phone at all during deletion or it will force close (may be wise to use flight mode to stop incoming calls or texts). Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this will help with your situation, but I found an app in the marketplace called "Super SMS Quick Delete" (developer name is Superdroid.net) that has worked well for deleting lots of texts. You can delete entire conversations at the top level, or (this is why I got it) it allows you to go into a conversation and place check marks on all the messages you want to get rid of and then remove them all with a single press of the "delete" button (as opposed to having to delete them all one by one). It also has a "select all" button to quickly check mark all messages within the conversation.

It is pretty simple and seems like a relatively light-weight app. All it does is delete, so maybe it would have an easier time handling the massive amount of texts you are dealing with. Hope it helps.

this was great advice i used it and it works really well

Upvote 0
Have this problem with my Incredible.

I looked through the forums for deleting text, and it seems that it is only HTC that has this problem?

Can anyone confirm this or am i wrong or not?

My messages delete at a rate of 15 messages in 10 seconds. Thats um .67 seconds per text, WTF! are you kidding? that is extremely poor performance. They will delete, you just cant use your phone or it will most likely freeze up.

I thought I had a 1 GHZ processor, maybe it is dumbed down

P.S that app super sms quick delete DOES NOT speed up the delete process.
go complain to HTC, like that will get anywhere LOL

Upvote 0
I have an HTC Hero, have had it for about a year almost.

I use the Handcent SMS app for my text messages. If you go to the list where all your text messages are displayed and press and hold a text message thread, one of the options displayed will be "Force Delete". Click on this option and a small blue convo window pops up in your task bar. If you pull the task bar down, you can view the progress of deleting that thread "Handcent deletion, tap to cancel."

It goes very very very slowly. As in, it hasn't reached 1/20th of the deletion in 10 mins to delete a 1700 message thread, but if you just leave it be, it'll eventually delete it.

This is the best option I find. If you simply choose "delete", your phone will likely freeze and crash, and deleting messages one text at a time is ridiculous.

Hope this helps.

P.S - Sorry if this was mentioned earlier, I didn't look through previous replies. too lazy haha.

Upvote 0
Currently I have over 2700 texts in one thread and as a result the messages app is seriously slow. But when I try to delete them the messages app crashes/freezes and even after killing the task it does not sort itself so I am forced to reboot.

How the hell do I delete these!? Is there another way or do I need to wait for the next software update that I care about?

The lag is the least of the issues, I believe this is also causing SMS Popup to crash (now uninstalled) but I really love this app :(

Any help appreciated :)
HEY!
so, as of yesterday I had the same problem, could not delete my 2000+ conversation on my HTC. everytime i tried to do so, my phone got stuck.
Last night I changed my SMS settings:

Tick delete older messages, and choose a text limit you want ( I chose 10)

by this morning, all of the messages where gone :)

Hope this works for you too!!

HAPPY SUNDAY

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones