• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Touchscreen broken, how to backup files?

D

Deleted User

Hi, I'm really hoping someone can please help.

I accidentally dropped my 2012 Nexus 7 and now the touchscreen won't work. I am trying to backup the data. The tablet turns on and my PC recognizes it when I plug it in via USB. However because I have a passcode on the lockscreen Windows won't show the files on the tablet until I unlock the screen. This is no doubt a security feature. Is there any way possible to either bypass the lockscreen or access my data another way?

I tried using SkipSoft Android Toolkit but for every option I select it says "Waiting for USB debugging to be enabled".

2012 Nexus 7
Android 4.4.x (Can't remember if it was running 4.4.1 or 4.4.2).
Everything is stock, no root.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I just had a thought, wonder if it would work. I'll have to try it myself.

Turn on the tablet and using the Play Store push Android Lost to the device.

Once it has been pushed to the device log into the android lost website and using the remote control you should be able to disable the lock by sending the tablet 0000 for the passcode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones