• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tried to change Network provider/A50 Galaxy

Janeire

Jul 10, 2020
Hello.

Can anyone help to solve this issue, please?.

I changed my Network provider, and installed the new Sim Card. I used PAC to keep my old number.

It is supposed to have been Activated, but all I get is, ‘No SIM. Emergency calls only’.

As you know, after Factory Reset, I need to get Samsung’s Verification Code; but Samsung automatically require account Backup. SIM Card not working so I cannot Login to get Verification Code.

I always get that ‘message’ sound but nothing appears on the Screen.

I also get, ‘Phone not registered on Network’.

Please see below:

About Phone
Status Information
SIM Card Status
Network Not available
Mobile network state Not available
Service provider info Not available
Service state Not available
IMS registration status Not registered
Signal strength Not available
Mobile voice network type Not available
Mobile data network type Not available
Roaming Not available

Many thanks for any suggestions

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. Device is not locked, i have had it for about 2 and a half years.
I have had the same number for many years and always use a PAC code to bring it when it to new phone.
I never had any problems before.

Why did I do factory reset?. Having encountered this problem, I contacted both the old provider and the new one.
Each of them kept telling me to go to the other for a solution.

That is why I thought a reset would solve the issue. I am a novice. I checked my Account with the new provider, and it is their SIM Card phone number which is registered in the Account. it is that SIM Card phone in the phone.
I tried putting the OLD SIM back, but the Account with the old provider is closed.

So what SIM Card could I I swap out for, please?.

It seems there is a conflict somewhere, with The PAC, because the new provider mentioned 'Invalid Combination', (with details provided by the old provider).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello.

Can anyone help to solve this issue, please?.

I changed my Network provider, and installed the new Sim Card. I used PAC to keep my old number.

It is supposed to have been Activated, but all I get is, ‘No SIM. Emergency calls only’.

As you know, after Factory Reset, I need to get Samsung’s Verification Code; but Samsung automatically require account Backup. SIM Card not working so I cannot Login to get Verification Code.
Actually I don't know this: I've been using Android for more than a decade but never heard of anyone needing anything from the phone manufacturer after a reset. Is this some Samsung thing, or is it related to a Samsung account? (I'm curious in part because my next phone might be a Samsung, but if they have some control-freaky stuff like that in addition to Android that would rule them out. But if it was just for access to a Samsung account that wouldn't bother me, as I will never create one ;)).

The obvious question is does the new SIM work at all? If you have access to another unlocked phone does it work in that? Otherwise I would be tempted to tell the new provider "your SIM doesn't work in an unlocked phone, other SIMs do, so this sounds like a problem with your SIM". And don't accept them blaming the old provider (all companies do this: if there's another company involved the simplest way to get rid of you is to say it's the other company's fault. If someone tries that insist on speaking to their supervisor). Even, as suggested above, go into a physical store to discuss with someone there: they can then test with another SIM there and then - if the phone works with another SIM that proves that the problem is the SIM they have provided, and then they can sort it out (e.g. give you a new SIM and transfer the number to it).

Upvote 0
Using the PAC code I always keep my number. On this occasion, first SIM did not work, second SIM has not worked.

I have a Samsung Account, 2-Way Verification. As the SIM does not work, I cannot get into the Account for Verification.

So that answers your question. Not sure if 2-Way Verification is compulsory.

I believe there are some online tools to 'break' the lock, but I am novice.

The current provider does not, it appears, have store for me to go to.

In my opinion, I think Ofcom should make provision for companies to co-operate and resolve such issues; since they have the resources. I may contact Ofcom.

Upvote 0
Ah, so you are British ;).

I think that 2-step verification for a Samsung account is a red herring here: the lack of a mobile connection is getting in the way of that verification, but I don't believe that lack of access to that account should stop the SIM from working. So the real question is why do the new provider's SIMs not work?

Are you absolutely certain the device is unlocked? Some providers are still selling locked phones (though there is a legal deadline for that to end now in the UK), others are not, so I just want to absolutely rule out the possibility that you have a locked handset. Because if you haven't then it sounds like they are somehow giving you SIMs that are not technically compatible with the phone, which would be a bit surprising when the phone is only 2 years old. But if the phone is unlocked then PAC codes etc only relate to the transfer of the number, not to whether a phone can read a SIM or not, so there's something fishy here.

I really would take it into one of the provider's shops, explain the situation to them and get them to try a SIM in it.

Upvote 0
The phone was bought new. Unlocked, otherwise I would not have bought it. Transferring my number and setting up, was easy.

Now, I have learned something, PAC code versus reading of SIM, and I certainly did not think about compatibility. Thank you.

My background allowed me to think it was very odd that 2 SIM Cards did not work. I have gone through a number of Network providers over the years, different model phones, and this is the VERY first time I had such an issue. 2 x SIMs?.

The only provider I could check with is the one I have just ended my contract with, and they were not helpful with my previous queries.

Upvote 0
Yeah, 2xSIMs makes it unlikely that it's simply a faulty SIM. There are sometimes changes in SIM technology, and I've seen some UK providers refer to "5G SIMs", so it's possible that there have been changes in the last couple of years. Now I'd expect SIMs to be backward compatible with older handsets, so I wouldn't think you'd have to worry about this, but if there are two types of SIM in circulation it might be worth making sure this isn't the issue - and the simplest way of doing this would be to speak to the new provider (sticking one of their PAYG SIMs in might also be worth a test, but you don't want to have to spend money to do this. Heck, if they want your business they ought to be trying to work out what is wrong).

It feels slightly unlikely to me, but it is the only thing I can think of really.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones