• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Trouble with in-app videos

Are you also experiencing video playback issues in multiple apps?

• Total voters

yoquierose

Lurker
Feb 14, 2019
Quick aside: this is my first time discovering and posting on this forum (I intend on becoming a regular in the development section), so if I've misplaced this thread please let me know and I'll remove it. Please don't be like the gang over at Stack that closes every one of my questions without telling me what I did wrong.

Is anyone else experiencing issues with in-app video playback for apps like ESPN or Bleacher Report? I've found YouTube to work just fine, but these apps (as well as some others) will frequently give me the standard black screen with the loading circle indefinitely. Bleacher Report's videos will work only if I click on them through notifications, and even then it's a mixed bag.

Additionally, the ESPN app oftentimes simply won't load even the Home page, it'll just come up as a big white screen. It doesn't crash the phone, so I'm free to back out and try again but that usually doesn't change anything.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated (if it is indeed an issue with my phone and not the app itself)! I tried googling this but no matter what query I put forth, I only found really old reddit posts and unrelated articles from ESPN and Bleacher Report.

No, they're never roaming as far as I know. I notice the issue most on my home WiFi because that's where I do the majority of my browsing. I don't have any issues like this on my PC, Mac, Xbox, or any other device. I'd ask my roommate but he's one of those "I'll never download an app" types haha.

Upvote 0
Ok, so give these a go @yoquierose
  • Have you checked that all the Google apps are updated in the play store? I forget which one is responsible for inline videos
  • Restart your phone
  • Forget your home WiFi settings on your S9 and then power down your router for a few minutes - switch it back on and reconnect your phone to your SSID.
If these steps don't help, try posting this in the S9 forums and see if anyone else is having the same issues.

https://androidforums.com/devices/samsung-galaxy-s9.13120/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones