• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help turbo having lots of issues, now dead screen

started with i went to check the phone and it was running slow so i brought up all the apps and closed them. then more started popping up so i then shut the phone down and restarted it. when it went to boot it no longer played the verizon video and when it loaded. it kept saying it was having a ui issue. so i tried a factory reset with no success a few times. then it would no longer read my sim card. then i used rsd lite to install the original xml file on the phone. now i got the video back but now the touch screen doesnt work. i even tried downloading another copy from another person with no luck. i was running lollipop and just did a phone update a few days ago. any ideas? i havent tried the sim card yet since the screen is now dead.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
by splitting the case i mean i opened it up and made sure the screen was still plugged in. i did do the correct factory reset. i even have had the battery unplugged a few times. also flashed the software a few times and no change. theres no cracks in the screen.

what do you mean it must be powered off and unplugged? i didnt have it plugged in and i reset it from bootloader.

Upvote 0
Hmm, this kind of sounds like possible water damage...:(

The device could / may work fine for a while and then the residual particulates cause micro shorts leading to a somewhat unstable device.

I've got my daughter's old Nexus 5 that was exposed to water in her raincoat pocket for a good while. It still works, mostly--the USB connection is a bit flaky, the screen works most of the time, rebooting is sometimes an adventure--and the issues seem to be more prevalent the more it's on and warmed-up.

Not saying for sure that's what you're seeing, it sounds like a hardware issue at this point.

Reactions: doogald and Thom
Upvote 0
there is signs of water on the mother board but its always been dry since ive had it. its just weird how it started all of a sudden. the only issue the person had with the phone is the battery wouldnt last 12 hours. which is true. if you dont use the phone its fine but if you use it alot then it dies pretty fast but nothing i couldnt deal with. maybe i will look at the board closer and see if the connections need repairing. the damage is at the very bottom where the battery plugs in on the board and its only a small spot and one up but the head phone jack which is the same way.

Upvote 0
There's usually some kind of (paper?) water tag/marker that changes color if the device get's wet.

The location varies by device, but if you can see or find it and some kind of reference telling you what it looks like good vs. water exposed, that would give you confirmation about the water exposure thing.

Not much you can do this long afterwards, though...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones