• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Turning on Bluetooth in flight mode

gessi2000

Lurker
May 25, 2011
Hi guys,

hope this is the right forum.

I switched from iPhone4 now to the new Samsung Galaxy S II with 2.3.3 and brought my bluetooth Sennheiser MM450 which I would like to use in flight.

Anyway when I turn on the flight mode I can't turn on Bluetooth anymore!?

On my iPhone this was possible.

Is there any way to get Bluetooth in flight mode working as I dont wanna have my phone searching for networks during flight.

Any other App/hint etc. for this?

My Samsung is rooted by the way...

Hi guys,

Is there any way to get Bluetooth in flight mode working as I dont wanna have my phone searching for networks during flight.
Perhaps I misunderstand, but it sounds like you want to be in flight mode (which means no radio emissions) but also have Bluetooth running (which produces radio emissions). This wouldn't be possible.

Upvote 0
I take back my comment above - I just got BT to run on my phone in airplane mode. It seems to rather defeat the ostensible purpose of having airplane mode... :thinking:

Just goes to show what a joke the requirements for airplane mode during flight really are, I guess.

I'm not sure why the OP's phone won't do it - perhaps it is having trouble connecting? I know the BT notification disappears rather quickly if it doesn't pair and connect right away.

Upvote 0
Airplane mode is a quick way to shut off all radios at once while preserving your toggle preference for each radio. That means that if you then turn off airplane mode, the radios you had on before will come back.

I believe the short range radios (wifi and BT) can override airplane mode. To do this, turn on airplane mode. All radios are now off. Then, toggle the radio you want (wifi, BT, etc). It will come up. You may need to turn if off and then on. Just tested this with my Evo and it worked for wifi and BT.

2G, 3G, 4G, GPS are long-range radio and are more likely (debatable) to affect whatever instrumentation of the plane. I don't think you can use these while in airplane mode.

Upvote 0
Here in China civil aviation laws don't actually recognise aircraft mode. If it is or looks like a mobile phone, it must be OFF, no argument. So if one has an iPod Touch and cabin crew think it's an iPhone, it must be OFF.

No mention of laptops though with 2G and 3G wireless functions, other than the usual 'electronic devices' must not be used during taxi, takeoff and landing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones