• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help TV-Out on the Droid

@sneaky
Sadly, I will either need to search for an existing USB, or contact Moto to find out if it even supports it, and then possibly try to make one, and become an official MotoDev. Hopefully, it does support it and this will really work.
But if it doesn't, the G1 should work, and my custom hardware can be installed with Android.

Upvote 0
Ahem... LOL this kinda popped into my head randomly, but why not just tap the video out data before the LCD driver and route it to a jack you mount wherever there is room in the case? From there, if its some kind of encoding, decode it with an inline processor on the video out cable.

Code:
CPU ----> LCD DRIVER ----> DISPLAY
        |
        |----> Video Out
The bottom line is... if its got a screen, it IS sending video out. Maybe not where you want it. So hack it. Once I get my Droid, I'll get it done and post results/schematics/teardown video. But if someone wants go beat me to it, go for it. Might be a while til I have the $ for parts. I don't happen to keep spare HMDs around. The cats would probably eat em anyway :)

:p
-Ashley

Upvote 0
If someone already has the data sheets and/or is familiar with the display driver and the board on this thing, please post intel. Knowing which pin(s) output the video signal is key here. Syncing and decoding should be trivial.

Yes this will work, I've done it on other devices, both to covertly monitor video streams, and to inject video overlays. There is no reason why this cannot work on the Droid or other phones. The main problem here is the bizarre output resolution, but according to something I read on a dev site from a Motorola engineer, apps can set their own resolutions and the device will scale the video appropriately, automagically. What it didn't say was whether the scaling is handled by the software video driver in Android (read: Linux) or by the hardware display driver (as in the chip which sends decoded signals to the LCD)

If the core outputs whatever res the app requests, and this video is later scaled in hardware (an option which is likely for performance optimization) then this is just too easy. Code an app to set video mode to whatever the native res on your chosen external display is, and viola. The tapped signal prior to the LCD driver will be in the user-selected resolution.

With OpenGL|ES support and all the nifty sensors on this thing, that opens up a world of possibilities.

Now, does anyone know if its possible to recompile the Android kernel with custom driver modules, or dynamically load them, to access additional hardware via USB? If so, then anything with a USB interface can be used. Keyboards, mice, trackballs, twiddlers, additional cameras, custom rigs... *drool* Hell, why not mount a volume on an external hard drive, just because you can? :p

I can't wait to get this phone and tear it apart.

Upvote 0
There must be some kind of support through usb. I connected my droid to my ps3 through the usb and mounted. The ps3 picked up device but was not able to open the subfolders digital camera pictures or digital camera video. I wonder if i have to rename the folders in the sd card. I dont think this is the solution you are looking for Apeman but it is a promising path.

Upvote 0
If someone already has the data sheets and/or is familiar with the display driver and the board on this thing, please post intel. Knowing which pin(s) output the video signal is key here. Syncing and decoding should be trivial.

Yes this will work, I've done it on other devices, both to covertly monitor video streams, and to inject video overlays. There is no reason why this cannot work on the Droid or other phones. The main problem here is the bizarre output resolution, but according to something I read on a dev site from a Motorola engineer, apps can set their own resolutions and the device will scale the video appropriately, automagically. What it didn't say was whether the scaling is handled by the software video driver in Android (read: Linux) or by the hardware display driver (as in the chip which sends decoded signals to the LCD)

If the core outputs whatever res the app requests, and this video is later scaled in hardware (an option which is likely for performance optimization) then this is just too easy. Code an app to set video mode to whatever the native res on your chosen external display is, and viola. The tapped signal prior to the LCD driver will be in the user-selected resolution.

With OpenGL|ES support and all the nifty sensors on this thing, that opens up a world of possibilities.

Now, does anyone know if its possible to recompile the Android kernel with custom driver modules, or dynamically load them, to access additional hardware via USB? If so, then anything with a USB interface can be used. Keyboards, mice, trackballs, twiddlers, additional cameras, custom rigs... *drool* Hell, why not mount a volume on an external hard drive, just because you can? :p

I can't wait to get this phone and tear it apart.

omg your so sexy.

Upvote 0
Hah, thanks for posting! I've been thinking about tearing apart the droid, but I don't have the money to pay for it if I screw up. Now that this project has turned into a start up company, I am trying to focus on the HMD and the attached microcomputer.

If you have any success with this, I would love to have the EyePC work with the Droid, and for people interested in having the EyePC bundled with a kit to make it work with the Droid, or to send your Droid in for a conversion.

Upvote 0
Hah, thanks for posting! I've been thinking about tearing apart the droid, but I don't have the money to pay for it if I screw up. Now that this project has turned into a start up company, I am trying to focus on the HMD and the attached microcomputer.

If you have any success with this, I would love to have the EyePC work with the Droid, and for people interested in having the EyePC bundled with a kit to make it work with the Droid, or to send your Droid in for a conversion.

Mailing it in to ya might be the only viable option for many users. I'm not sure how many people here would be comfortable with SMD soldering or taking a Dremel to their Droid chasis... I'm down though. :)

Hopefully this puts you on the right track. I get the feeling we were all just overthinking the problem. I learned quick in the Army that thinking too much really can be a bad thing. Simply taking out a single insurgent suddenly becomes an issue for SOCOM when it was as simple as shooting his stupid a--. Using existing interfaces on the Droid host board would have been nice, but simply ninja-snarfing the video feed is just as good, if not better, since you create a new interface and don't need to sacrifice any.

Just my two cents :p

Upvote 0
Wow all it takes is a Beautiful Intelligent Mega Hottie to bring a thread back from the dead?
Come on guys concentrate back on subject!! We all had time pick our tongues up off the floor now. But seriously a geek/gamer/military/hacker/beauty is a lot to offer a guy, most guys could not handle it, but I am willing to make the ultimate sacrifice and give it a college try. *drool* Where were we?

Upvote 0
O_O

Sorry, we are pretty much a huge group of nerds, and you are the first female we have seen in a couple of......years........

Sounds great. If and when I get funding, I will be able to put a unlocked Droid on a budget. If and when you tear open your Droid, make sure to video tape it, and have a commentary of what is going on with it. If you are able to get it working, I will be the second one prying it open.

EDIT: Forgot to say, Tomorrow I am going to MIT to look at some oppertunities there from investors that usually found Media Lab projects, sadly to say I already checked and Pranav Mistry (Creator of the Sixth Sense device) Is not currently in town :( But wish me luck! Will post what happens here, and on the blog (Which I will now be updating!)
http://www.eyepc.info/blog

Upvote 0
damn, no i'm not near there. wish i were at MIT though. that place would be heaven.

maybe you guys would like these pics from a recent modeling shoot? i can haz ninja sword :)

5k0y9t.jpg
< tired after shoot. long day.

2lntt6v.jpg
< photographer's choice "willpower"

Upvote 0
How is all this possible from one female? Awesome overload.

rofl! i wasn't raised to think barbies and easy bake ovens were the pinnacle of life. simple enough. competed in goju ru karate do for 10 years, switched to ninjutsu, liked the whole real-world application of it, joined the army and got into tae kwon do and (***) gracie jiu jutsu. my other hobbies are rock climbing, rifle marksmanship (long range), photography and computer graphics. im studying directx and opengl programming in C# right now, thinking of doing a final fantasy style game just to show all these big software sweatshops that games can still have a storyline and dont cost millions to produce. i work in healthcare now, as a radiologic technologist, but thats just to pay the bills, and specializing in surgical fluoroscopy, my schedule lets me do all the other fun stuff.

im fluent, or was at one time, in everything from basic and assembly languages for embedded processors to c#, with the exception of java. java is the most horrible example of managed code evar but it led to the cool things we have today, like the .NET framework and intermediate language.

as far as human languages... not much use for them, so just english, spanish, and a (little) bit of korean, japanese and german.

not all girls suck :p and just because im a geek doesnt mean i have to forget how to take care of myself and look good.

Upvote 0
O_O

Sorry, had to do that again. Back on topic.......
Yes, MIT is heaven. Been there multiple times, this will be the third for the EyePC. Still havn't gone into the Media Lab, but I may be able to get in there pretty soon, and if I can I will take pictures :D

So, any plan on what to do from here concerning the Droid? I think if we are going to expand this more, we should start moving this to the EyePC forums....... EyePC Forums
Sorry I haven't been posting there...... its kind of sad when you are the only one posting to yourself.....

Upvote 0
pic, as requested

http://i50.tinypic.com/25jw0f7.jpg

well, as soon as i get mine, i'll start hacking the video feed. once ive got it worked out in specifics, i'll post the info. the eyepc for droid concept shouldn't be stalled any longer after that, and the rest of you will get to see droid guts and learn how to mod your own if you feel confident doing it. i wouldn't recommend a hack like this unless youre very experienced though, its too easy to damage components from heat, scorch the host PCB, or do lots of other bad things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones