1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

TV Out with the Captivate?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jonhcox, Jul 9, 2010.

1. sremick

sremick Android Expert

Yeah, I know. ;) My TV isn't online (it's actually a projector) but my BD player is for firmware updates and BD Live.

2. firefly9397

firefly9397 Newbie

Anyone know if the PS3 supports DLNA?

3. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Android Enthusiast

Yes it does, the Xbox 360 does as well.

4. mash4077

mash4077 Newbie

yes it does
    ive already watched videos stored on my phone on my 40 inch phillips thruogh my ps3
    my phone being a captivate

5. digger44

digger44 Newbie

So I've tried the composite video out, and while it's great that it mirrors whatever is on the Captivate's screen, the quality is... well... composite video!

I was looking through the Samsung FAQs for the Captivate and noticed that there is an HDMI option listed (see this link)

What Do I Use To Connect To My SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone To A TV To Playback Content & How Can This Be Done?=

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the HDMI option? I'm VERY interested in this...

BTW... out of stock on the samsung accessory store, and if you google the part number (ECC1HU0BBEBSTD) there are only a couple of (questionable) retailers for it.

6. jmreed97

jmreed97 Well-Known Member

Anyone know if the Wii supports DLNA? I don't have a PS3 or Xbox... I know... Lame.

7. dsjr2006

Appears not

8. Dennis_Bham

Dennis_Bham Well-Known Member

Win 7 supports it. I got it working fine in both directions ...

9. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Android Enthusiast

Woooooooaaahh... Great find. I'd be extremely anxious to hear about anyone's experience w/that USB/HDMI cable.

10. dsjr2006

Using MediaLink on my Mac and the DLNA support on this phone is awesome!!

11. rlb4

rlb4 Android Enthusiast

So will this output HD? Will it be better video quality than the 3.5mm to RCA out?

12. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Well-Known Member

i read a review that said you could output to hdmi with an adapter but the one on samsungs website is sold out and its very pricey.

13. This could be the future of gaming. Hook up to a tv, sync with a Wii (or other compatible) controller, and you've got yourself a portable gaming console.

14. beertha

beertha Newbie

Awesome find digger! I had no idea this could even be possible- not only av composite out but also HDMI out.

I dont like this part of the page though :

"Note!: Some DRM protected files cannot be played back on the TV. This may result in an error."

I think DRM protection is one of the downsides of HDMI.
    Anyways, someone needs to buy the cable and Youtube it.

15. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

16. t-readyroc

Naw, those're just straight up HDMI cables.

17. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

Oops posted the wrong link. Monoprice has a micro cable but after checking closer it's a "Micro-HDMI" (whatever that is).

18. t-readyroc

Micro HDMI connects to things like my Canon SD780IS for video-out capability.

19. digger44

digger44 Newbie

You can leave yout name and email at the Samsung site and they'll notify you when the cable is back in stock.

I don't know that I'll actually order it at $50, though!

20. Loco Leeep

Loco Leeep Member

21. labovski

labovski Lurker

Does Android OS in general support tv/video-out or is it a hardware based feature? I have just bought an Android tablet (M70003) and I'm curious about whether it is possible to get a video signal out of the computer.

I use a Nokia 6120 Classic otherwise as mobile and although it lacks hardware for video out it is possible to get a copy of what is shown on the display out to an external monitor with the proper software.

Would this be possible with an Android tablet as well?

22. Endoran

Endoran Android Enthusiast

So I bought a TV-out cable and all works well but I do have a question, that depending on the answer may actually be a complaint.

Can you turn off the captivate's screen and still have the TV receive a streaming video????

I see no sense at all why you would need your screen on while you are streaming a video but I cannot find a way to turn it off. Thanks!!

23. captivated

captivated Newbie

That hdmi cord was never intended for the Galaxy S and will not work. Samsung has already confirmed it was mistakenly linked to the Galaxy S on their site.

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews