• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Two questions about TapFish

I just decorate all my tanks. I use the tiered elestos for 11% (you can only get 11% happiness from plants and 11% from non-plants) since they are easier to get at than the cheap decorations and then thrown in one starfish. It only takes 765 coins to get to 88% happiness and the Love bonus will make you hit 90%. It's a lot easier than moving decorations or fish to get the bonus, and you can make it back in a hurry. You can sell a tank of Banded Butterflies for 9,500 but if you spend the 765 for decorations, you will make 11,400. That offsets the cost of decorations on your first time through. It's well worth the coins to save the time it takes to move stuff around.

I didn't know about the 11% limit until now! How did you find that out? I guess that's why I couldn't get past 89% and then 91% on a couple of my tanks - I thought that it was the 5-point castle I had placed that was causing a weird glitch. I guess I had reached the 11% limit on non-plant decorations and was continuing to try to add more.

Right now I can well afford the decorations (the ones I can buy with coins, that is) - it's just that I'd like some of my tanks to be more decorated but it's such a pain to buy each one one at a time. I am fascinated by the tanks that have zillions of decorations all arranged in various patterns - that takes a lot of time and patience!

Some of the tanks I use for keepers I don't bother to decorate at all since I don't need the happiness points.

Upvote 0
If you have plenty of coins or fishbucks and want to level up faster, you might consider buying a food brick for your xp tank of green snappers (or whichever fish you use). When you buy your fish, each purchase is 1 xp, plus another xp if you feed it individually. If you are buying in bulk, it's too difficult to feed each one. But with a food brick, you can more easily feed them one at a time. Before you start buying, move your brick to where it's accessible to your left index finger. Select your fish and tap "Buy". Tap near the brick with your left finger - the fish will appear and move quickly to eat from the brick. When the fish is full message comes up, tap okay with your right finger and immediately buy the next fish with your left. This way, each purchase is worth 2xp instead of 1.

It's still slow, but a lot faster than trying to feed each fish without a brick. Unfortunately, the bricks cost a lot of coins or bucks and they're ugly. You can't hide the brick or move it between tanks, either.

Upvote 0
This is probably a dumb question, but I don't suppose there are any shortcuts to puchasing multiple decorations, are there? I see some people have highly decorated tanks. I tend to keep mine to a minimum (91 - 93% for selling tanks and far less for non-seling) because it's such a pain to buy stuff. To purchase and place one simple clam, for example, you have to tap:

Menu - Store - decorations - tank basics - scroll to clam and tap buy - tap and drag to move, etc.
That's a minimum of 6 taps for each clam. If you don't know what you want, it takes a lot more tapping and scrolling to shop around.

Do tell about the decorated tanks. I love decorating my tanks and look for ideas!

I'm a female BTW.

Upvote 0
There are a ton of errors since patch so take precautions. Report them as you find them also, helps others. I know there are more problems with iPhone than Droid ATM....not surprised. Added you ad well. Got abut half the Mario tank done. Still experimenting, but there are a very limited amount of decorations. Hopefully they will add more soon.

Upvote 0
Bunny Fish would be funny in there =)

I wasn't aware that you could have only 25 different kinds of fish per tank :/

Now I have ro root--I don't think I have enough space for another tank.

(The entire program will not go to sd, only a large part of it. Not sure how much remains on the phone, but it is definitely the game eating space, since that is the only app that has had anything changed in it for a week.)

Upvote 0
Ill use the lower tanks that are decorated as show tanks when I break a million in profits. I want to be prepared for lvl 30 when I get there. I promise ill will have it all fixed shortly after that. And I enjoy the Rare smooth fish over the funny ones. Really want that new frog the buck shortage is driving me nuts and I refuse to spend real cash on a app.

Upvote 0
Bunny Fish would be funny in there =)

I wasn't aware that you could have only 25 different kinds of fish per tank :/

Now I have ro root--I don't think I have enough space for another tank.

(The entire program will not go to sd, only a large part of it. Not sure how much remains on the phone, but it is definitely the game eating space, since that is the only app that has had anything changed in it for a week.)

You can hit your menu button, go to Settings and go to Applications and scroll down to Tapfish to see how much space is used. Mine is about 45 megabytes, including the program and the data. Thats bigger than some other apps, but its not absurdly big. My phone memory is 8 gigabytes, which is about 175x the space of my Tapfish program+data. And my SD card is another 8 gigabytes.

Things like videos you take with your camera are going to be a lot more "space hoggers" than Tapfish data. And I have 26 tanks to your 5 so I'd imagine your app is more like 15-20 megabytes.

Upvote 0
Hi all, just started playing Tapfish a couple of days ago, and this has been such a useful thread, now busy raising green snappers for XP. I'm a bit confused about the length of time the fish take to grow - it says 4 hours for green snappers, but I set a bunch of them going at 3pm yesterday and at 10pm they still had an hour to go. I checked on them a couple of times before then, assuming they'd be finished after 4 hours. Is the time thing hit and miss or am I missing some step?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones