• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Two questions!

rc109a

May 9, 2011
Since I ma new to android and the apps I have a question about email. I have a Gmail account and notice that my email goes into both the email app and the gmail app. Is there actually a difference? If so which one should I be using. I can open either and see my email.

The second is my calender. I notice that the calender does not sync with my gmail calender. I make changes, but they do not all appear on my phone. I get emails fine, but the calender is not updating correctly. Maybe I should use a different one? Is there one to sync with my outlook account at home?

Thanks for the help....Ron:)

1. You can use either one. Neither is better than the other, it's just preference. Try both and see which you prefer.

2. When you add a new event to the calendar, are you sure you're adding it to the correct calendar? In the "new Event" screen scroll down and it will say something like "Calendar to put event in". Be sure it's saving to your gmail and not just the phone.

Upvote 0
Hi and Welcome to the world of android :D

1. . It's the same thing.. .it's just like logging in via 2 different laptops at the same (or different) times. When you manually refresh your GMail app it syncs it to your gmail account so you get the same "view" as you're accounts current status. You can choose to manual sync (saves battery) or go into Settings > Accounts & Sync you can choose "autosync" and that will automatically refresh your app periodically.

2. If you update your calender via the phone you need to sync it to your online (server) calender in gmail and vice versa. Having autosync set should do this automatically otherwise you need to sync it yourself manually via Settings > Accounts & Sync > Google > Sync Calender

Gg

Upvote 0
Since I ma new to android and the apps I have a question about email. I have a Gmail account and notice that my email goes into both the email app and the gmail app. Is there actually a difference? If so which one should I be using. I can open either and see my email.
The gmail app is just for gmail. If you're getting gmail in both then you set up your gmail account in both. You can remove it from the email app unless you want it there.

Is there one to sync with my outlook account at home?
Sync Android/Droid with Outlook/Exchange has Outlook sync options.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones