• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root UD 8.0 vs BB 0.5 ding ding ding

The biggest problem with questions like these is this:

NO TWO PHONES ARE 100% IDENTICAL!!!!!

What works (and works well) on your phone may suck on another phone - I can't count the number of times I supported BD and his ROM b/c it simply worked on my phone - and others would complain about FCs, apps not working, random reboots, etc.

UD was the first ROM that allowed me to take my phone to the 1200 MHz CPU clock cycle barrier. A few ROMs after that also liked it well enough. lately, though, I have found that with FroYo, JIT, and customizations out the Wazoo (including moving and force-moving apps to the SDCard) I have found that 1000 MHz suits my purposes just as well as 1200 MHz, but with better battery life.

Then there is the fact that my phone has, for the most part, loved/I] running Chevy's kernels, whereas other people find that they cannot run them at all.

It's the folly of mass production - not matter how well you try, you cannot guarantee that even a phone made from all the same components that were derived from the same batch loads will perform exactly the same under rigorous testing.

It's not a matter of what we like - it is a matter of what you like on your phone.

In terms of ROMs, I was an avid ROM tester for a long time - now, with my master's program having started (and with me also finishing my second undergrad simultaneously) I simply don't have the time. I have been running LFY 1.6 since just about when it came out (which, IIRC, is now over a month) and that is nearly ancient in terms of ROMs - most of use hard-core ROM testers rarely go a week without changing a ROM, even if just for testing, even if we have a regular "every day" "daily-driver-type" of ROM pre-set up as a Nandroid backup from which to restore and go.

If I get some time, I might try BB 0.5. I may even go back to UD and try 9. I am definitely moving to LFY 1.7.

As to which I like the best- well, that's easy - whichever allows me the most stability at the highest CPU clock with the most apps installed (I hover around 160 apps installed at any given moment, with a total of ~225 apps (including system apps) when making Titanium backups.

I hope this answers this question.

I am not saying you shouldn't ask your question - I am saying garnering all of this advice on which are the best ROMs for these folks is a little biased - each person is going to tell you what works best on his/her phone based upon his/her set of criteria as to what it should look like, how it should work, etc. And that is a huge list, if you take all of our accounts together.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones