• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ugh what happened?!

i just downloaded Recuva and tried to recover so many of these....i'm missing atleast 600 pictures. so, they all say status: unrecoverable, and under notes, says:

Comment: This file is overwritten with "K:\AndroidThemes\framework-res.apk"

another says:
Comment: This file is overwritten with "K:\DCIM\.thumbnails\(343)1292054433-s=91590-fH=274-gH=160-mode=10-AG=0.raw"

anotehr says:
Comment: This file is overwritten with "K:\.android_secure\com.rovio.angrybirdsseasons-1.asec"

i assume this is something from when i rooted? from when i made the nandroid backup?! my phone had PLENTY of room on the SD card..

Upvote 0
yeah worst part is i was thinking of it, but then went "nah, it won't touch my SD card."

awesome.

also, here's the best part: I STILL HAVE TEXT LAG :) :) :) :)

god damnit, nothing can go right for me with these stupid phones, i swear to god. everything was FINE before 2.2 came out.

Rooting doesn't fix anything in itself. It just gives you the ability to tinker with things that you normally couldn't. If you are trying to fix the texting lag I've seen a few people complain about, the first step would be to obviously try a differt texting app other than stock. I'm sure you've probably tried that though. Another way would be to flash a completely vanilla rom, I'd recommend the Cyanogen rom just because in my opinion it seems to install the smoothest for most people. If you still experience lag, it might be a hardware problem.
Sorry to hear about the loss of pictures but that's one thing that is definitely preached here is to back up everything, every time.

Upvote 0
yup, and i even used this recuva program to try to recover stuff, and nothing worked. i guess pictures were overwritten for some reason with the nandroid backup :(

well the nandroid in itself didn't overwrite the pictures... for some reason the pictures were lost during the rooting process and when you made a nandroid, it overwrote the space that the pictures once occupied, thereby making them unrecoverable. In a way you demonstrated the best way to delete something you don't want recovered.

Upvote 0
How full was your sdcard? If Linux is like Windows once you start running out of room it will randomly start overwritting files on your hard drive. There are certain folders that need to be created on the sdcard by Android and your apps store data there too and if you didn't have sufficient space for these then it might have just went ahead and made space on its own. I'm assuming that a nandroid backup might do the same thing.

Upvote 0
Rooting may place the Clockwork folder on the SD but even if so, it's so small in size, it wouldn't be an issue with 6G free. Was the Rom you were loading a stable, well known Rom? I don't really even want to know the name of it for fear of creating unnecessary paranoia or rumors. Just wondering if perhaps you flashed a nightly or alpha of some sort rather than a tried and true Rom.

Upvote 0
Rooting may place the Clockwork folder on the SD but even if so, it's so small in size, it wouldn't be an issue with 6G free. Was the Rom you were loading a stable, well known Rom? I don't really even want to know the name of it for fear of creating unnecessary paranoia or rumors. Just wondering if perhaps you flashed a nightly or alpha of some sort rather than a tried and true Rom.

Another thought, did you pull the SD card at all without unmounting it or mount the sd card with your pc and just pull the cable out?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones