• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps UI design question: do users understand the purpose of the menu key?

tliebeck

Dec 6, 2009
android.nextapp.com
I've tried to keep the UI of my application extremely simple. The only purpose of the UI is to start, stop, and configure a service (web server) which runs in the background. The home screen currently looks like this:

RunningThumb.png

To actually do any real configuration, the user must press the menu key, then choose "Settings", at which time s/he is presented with a standard Android preference activity.

A truly novice user will never need to access the settings. But I think most people will probably want to do so.

I'm torn as to whether or not to add a third "settings" button at the bottom of the screen, just to ensure that people can find it. I'd prefer to keep it simple if people understand the purpose of the "Menu" button...but I can imagine that a lot of people just plain won't get it.

Any thoughts? Have your users been confused/complained at having to figure out to press the Menu key in order to get to additional features?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones