• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ultimate Droid 9.8.0 is Awesome!

using someone elses rom as a base is a moot point i agree, but stealing scripts written by other devs and claiming you wrote them isn't acceptable. they are not open source. then whining like a baby about your rom being in rom manager is just more high school drama. if he cares about the end user then he should be happy its in rom manager so more people can try it. backstepping to the rom issue, yes its all open source but you should always give credit where its due, that is how devs have always worked be it android or winmo. did koush claim he made cyanogen for droid? no he gave credit to cyan for the source. do all the devs who use chevys kernels claim they made them? no they give chevy credit. same with all the themes that borrow icons and or framework from others. a short list of contributors is all thats needed but he feels he is better then the rest or something. these are the reasons i do not respect blackdroid as a developer or person for that matter.

anyone who enjoys his rom, thats good and i say whatever rom works best on your phone is the rom you should stick with.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
using someone elses rom as a base is a moot point i agree, but stealing scripts written by other devs and claiming you wrote them isn't acceptable. they are not open source. then whining like a baby about your rom being in rom manager is just more high school drama. if he cares about the end user then he should be happy its in rom manager so more people can try it. backstepping to the rom issue, yes its all open source but you should always give credit where its due, that is how devs have always worked be it android or winmo. did koush claim he made cyanogen for droid? no he gave credit to cyan for the source. do all the devs who use chevys kernels claim they made them? no they give chevy credit. same with all the themes that borrow icons and or framework from others. a short list of contributors is all thats needed but he feels he is better then the rest or something. these are the reasons i do not respect blackdroid as a developer or person for that matter.

anyone who enjoys his rom, thats good and i say whatever rom works best on your phone is the rom you should stick with.

Agreed. My other thought is while you might like UD if you want to donate you should give to the devs that actually made the stuff in his rom instead of him though.

Upvote 0
*SIGH*

We need to stop letting ROM builders rule our discussions and make them all our bitches! lol
Start a list of what we want, and what we're willing to pay. DEMANDS, people!
...-Or we can just all ask very nicely.

BTW, I'd like to see the ROMs these guys are running on their own Droids. I'll bet some of them have some seriously cool stuff they aren't about to release for free.

Upvote 0
My sources tell me that they all got the Microsoft kin that was announced today. :D

Koush showing off his latest release:
shrink57-albums-screenshots-whatever-picture990-koush.jpg

Upvote 0
I am not loyal to bd for any reason. I am loyal to his ROM. As soon as I find something better, I am out the door without a moment to spare.

I have well over 190 apps installed, and this one is the only one that keeps up and doesn't FC *something* somewhere. As soon as I find another one that does that *and more* you can bet your arse I am going there.

Main things that get me: being able to run a 1.2GHz kernel stable on a ROM, with WaveSecure always running (along with the IM and a few other apps) and not have the app drawer or market or Pandora or anything else either lag or else FC on me.

I also run Windows, and M$ (among other companies) has had some shady dealings in the past as well - as someone noted above, M$ never really acknowledged the GUI 'borrow' from Apple, but I still use Windows.

Oh, well. Let the flame wars continue. I am off to hunt for a better, faster, more awesome ROM.

Upvote 0
This whole flame war is about to get a lot bigger..BD has compiled and "released" his latest creation- UD 10. It has a mix of almost every other ROM.

I actually have to give him credit for mashing it all together in a way that seems to work. At least he an his team do that part.

BD may be the black sheep of the bunch, but he takes the best of everyone's ROMs and combines it in to one..there is something (not bad) to be said for that, anyhow...

Upvote 0
This whole flame war is about to get a lot bigger..BD has compiled and "released" his latest creation- UD 10. It has a mix of almost every other ROM.

I actually have to give him credit for mashing it all together in a way that seems to work. At least he an his team do that part.

BD may be the black sheep of the bunch, but he takes the best of everyone's ROMs and combines it in to one..there is something (not bad) to be said for that, anyhow...

If this is what he did...why not just say..."I took this from BB, this from CM, this from SS, etc. and put them together in one bad ass ROM." I think if he took that approach, he would be much better off and much more highly regarded than he is. I haven't tried the ROM...I don't know if he stole anything...I'm just saying...

Take Fabulous for example. He took a patched ESE81 ROM, added someone's theme, someone's scripts, someone's market icon, someone's kernel, etc. and then he put it together. People still refer to it as Fab's ROM. I'm running "his" ROM and truly appreciate the effort that he put into making other peoples work...better!

I just don't understand the need to say that it's all his work (from scratch) if it isn't.

Upvote 0
If this is what he did...why not just say..."I took this from BB, this from CM, this from SS, etc. and put them together in one bad ass ROM." I think if he took that approach, he would be much better off and much more highly regarded than he is. I haven't tried the ROM...I don't know if he stole anything...I'm just saying...

Take Fabulous for example. He took a patched ESE81 ROM, added someone's theme, someone's scripts, someone's market icon, someone's kernel, etc. and then he put it together. People still refer to it as Fab's ROM. I'm running "his" ROM and truly appreciate the effort that he put into making other peoples work...better!

I just don't understand the need to say that it's all his work (from scratch) if it isn't.

In his most recent release he said this "Much time has be spent
searching for extra features and their source. Github is a great tool!" So basically it sounds like he got on github took code from a bunch of other people (which is what its there for) but did not credit anyone. I know if it was me he was getting this stuff and not crediting I would be pissed.

Upvote 0
In his most recent release he said this "Much time has be spent
searching for extra features and their source. Github is a great tool!" So basically it sounds like he got on github took code from a bunch of other people (which is what its there for) but did not credit anyone. I know if it was me he was getting this stuff and not crediting I would be pissed.

I took a look at his release...looks like a ton of work went into this build. I don't think anyone can question that. This build seems just like what I was saying about Fab's ROM cause if you look...he does credit people for their contributions in this release. Hmm...

If people want to make an issue over this...they will find something I'm sure. But putting a ROM together and then crediting people for their contributions...the lack of that seems like what everyone was bitching about...I'm just saying...

Also, I don't know that there is another ROM like this one out there...it's not like he themed someone's ROM and called it his own...It does look like a "best of" ROM edition where several ROM's have been incorporated together. Looks nice.

Upvote 0
I do agree that he should give credit where it is due..I should have stated that in my post. For that part, he deserves the scrutiny he gets. I was just stating that in my opinion he seems to do a good job of mashing what he feels is the best of everyone's work together.

I still am one of those who will run whatever runs best on my Droid. I am watching the thread on his latest "creation", and if all seems well, I am going to try it..[EDIT: That may take a while,possibly the next build if he gets to make one..] and if someone else outdoes this one, I'll switch to them.. and the process continues..

Only thing that will keep me on a certain type of ROM is if I can get apps2sd to function well enough for me..this is one of the things I want. And yes, I have done my research on card speeds/limitations. If in fact apps2sd works ok on UD10, and I dont experience the problems I did with cyanogen(BIG IF).. I'll be sticking with it for awhile I bet. If not, back to where I am now- a nicely functioning install of Chevy's SS 3.1:p

Upvote 0
I started out defending him when I was newer to the scene, because when I went looking I saw credits to different people, including (at one point) Peter Alfonso, and I have continued to defend his ROM /c it is the best one I have tried so far. Not *one of hte best* - THE best.

But today's bullshit is too much or even me to swallow. Banning Cyanogen, of all friggin people? That's be like Microsoft suing Bill Gates for helping to create MS-DOS....

"Farewell, UD - I knew thee well!"

There is only so much childish bullshit I am gonna put up with. IDGAF how good your product is, there is a fine line between good products and childish BS. That line has now (for me) been crossed.

Upvote 0
I started out defending him when I was newer to the scene, because when I went looking I saw credits to different people, including (at one point) Peter Alfonso, and I have continued to defend his ROM /c it is the best one I have tried so far. Not *one of hte best* - THE best.

But today's bullshit is too much or even me to swallow. Banning Cyanogen, of all friggin people? That's be like Microsoft suing Bill Gates for helping to create MS-DOS....

"Farewell, UD - I knew thee well!"

There is only so much childish bullshit I am gonna put up with. IDGAF how good your product is, there is a fine line between good products and childish BS. That line has now (for me) been crossed.

what happened today? What did they ban cyanogen for?

Upvote 0
I'd actually like to see, if it exists, the conversation between Cyanogen and Blackdroid. I too have been watching the thread, and it was the DF mods who banned Cyanogen.. not BD. BD does mention his sources(references to GitHub).. and unless I am missing something all he stated is that he compiled things together in "his" ROM. Again, anytime BD doesn't give credit where it is due, I agree he deserves a smack in the nose.

Upvote 0
I'd actually like to see, if it exists, the conversation between Cyanogen and Blackdroid. I too have been watching the thread, and it was the DF mods who banned Cyanogen.. not BD. BD does mention his sources(references to GitHub).. and unless I am missing something all he stated is that he compiled things together in "his" ROM. Again, anytime BD doesn't give credit where it is due, I agree he deserves a smack in the nose.

Noting Github is not giving credit. Tons of devs have stuff on github.

Upvote 0
Noting Github is not giving credit. Tons of devs have stuff on github.

True.. cant argue that. Again, I agree the original developers deserve credit. I am not running the ROM yet, so I am not qualified to input whether it is a copy-paste of another ROM. If in fact it is a unique combination of CM and other ROMS.. they cannot make that claim. Time will tell I guess.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones