• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

UN-Brick - Acer Iconia Tab A500

gabeyong

Android Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2011
Hi,

Helped UN-Brick a friend's Iconia Tab A500 this weekend.
Thought I should record and share the experience.

We did it the hard way and then discovered the easy way... but the ROM only supports English, French and Arabic Languages. [Reference: Unbrick without Chinese Update ROM]
If you are happy with any of the three languages your un-brick process stops at step 4.

DISCLAIMER: Please use the info below at your own risk with no warranty of any kind.

WARNING: This method must be used as a last resort because you have bricked your tablet. The process is purely experimental and results may not be stable :WARNING

Method:
1. download update.acer.zip -> unzip and rename to <update.zip> and copy to root of micro sd card
2. power off Acer A500 Tablet
3. hold power button and volume (-) button (i.e. button closest to power button) until you see a progress bar
4. tablet will reboot into the update.zip (the Chinese update ROM) --> there is also an English Update ROM see References:
- stop here if you are using the English ROM
- Build Number: Acer A500 1.122.01 EMEA GEN5
- Honeycomb 3.01

5. go to <Settings><Language & input> (4th from bottom - the icon with an "A") and select the first option <select language> and then the first option <English> again and this will change the language to English
6. download and install Gingerbreak.apk and Root the Acer tablet, after successful Rooting the Tablet will reboot
7. <unzip> and <copy> system.img (US or EU version) to /sdcard
8. adb shell, su and use dd command to flash system image to blk03 partition
[dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3]
9. The Acer Tablet will reboot, skip the start screen and put the tablet in Airplane Mode (because wifi not working at this point)
10. Unzip and copy the 2 Wifi Modules to sd card and then to /system/lib/modules
(you can install and use Root Explorer.apk to do this or use adb commands)
[#mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system] - read/write access
[#cp bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules]
[#cp scsci_wait_scan.ko /system/lib/modules]
11. Reboot, go to <Settings><Privacy><Factory data reset>
12. Enable Wifi (setup wifi and check wifi connection)

And you are back to stock System ROM
Either
Build 1.141.07 GEN 1 (US)
or
Build 1.1.139.04 GEN 1 (EU)

Resources:
update.acer.zip
EU System.img
US System.img
Gingerbreak.apk
Wifi Modules
Root Explorer

References:
XDA Developers - [Dev] System Images
unBRICK your Acer Iconia A500 Tablet
Unbrick without Chinese Update ROM
USA 1.141.07 Update Fix

Update #1 - 31 May 2011
For US Build: 1.141.07 GEN 1 - Acer Iconia Tab A500 with wifi disconnect issues you can now fix this problem with the two wifi modules described above.

cheers :)

7. <unzip> and <copy> system.img (US or EU version) to /sdcard
8. adb shell, su and use dd command to flash system image to blk03 partition
[dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3]
9. The Acer Tablet will reboot, skip the start screen and put the tablet in Airplane Mode (because wifi not working at this point)
10. Unzip and copy the 2 Wifi Modules to sd card and then to /system/lib/modules
(you can install and use Root Explorer.apk to do this or use adb commands)
[#mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system] - read/write access
[#cp bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules]
[#cp scsci_wait_scan.ko /system/lib/modules]
11. Reboot, go to <Settings><Privacy><Factory data reset>
12. Enable Wifi (setup wifi and check wifi connection)
cheers :)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the Info Im sure it will help alot of people out:eek:
Wouldn't it just be easier at this point step 7- I mean to Boot into recovery mode with Clockworkmod and just use the menus to install a complete ROM from your SD Card? I have been doing it this way and was just wondering what the advantage was with this method.:thinking:

Upvote 0
The basic instructions have since been updated:

https://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29931/related/1

Looking at those instructions, the problem is that when you go to the download page for manuals and drivers:
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers#_ga=1.181574820.267539145.1417479834

and select your model (e.g. A500 tablet) and select the OS you want (I chose Android 4.0 Ice Cream), you download a .zip file with a long name like:
OS_Acer_7.014.12.041.214.02.TWN.GEN1_A40I_A.zip

DO NOT JUST COPY THIS FILE TO YOUR micro SD and expect to be able to boot your tablet.

DO NOT RENAME THIS FILE TO update.zip and copy it to your micro SD and expect to be able to boot your tablet.

Instead, EXTRACT THIS FILE TO A FOLDER in your PC and you will see that it contains another file called 'update.zip' within a folder that is also zipped.

SURPRISE! Every one of these O.S. files in the download page have a different version of 'update.zip' contained within a .zip folder bearing the version name of the O.S. Copy the extracted 'update.zip' (do not extract update.zip itself) to your A500 micro SD card in its the top level directory and insert it into your A500 tablet. Next push the volume down button and power button until the tablet powers up. Release the power button but keep holding the volume down button until you see the text in the upper left corner then release the volume down button. At this point, my tablet installed the version of Android I chose without trashing the apps that I alread had installed (unlike a factory reset). It works great. Now there were some more steps in
https://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29931/related/1

like pushing the volume up button, etc. I did not have to do that with my tablet but you might have to with yours if you have a slightly different version of A500.

But the confusing thing none of the articles tell you is that the O.S. downloads are all an update.zip contained within another <Android version>.zip. Apparently, the tablet can only boot to a valid Android O.S. in a file named update.zip in the top level directory of the micro SD file following the volume/power button push sequence noted above. That is the key point.

Upvote 0
My second Acer 500 got the same problem, stuck for ever at Acer screen or android screen. No help from pressing power button and volume up and down and playing with the screen switch. I will never buy any Acer product ever. Shame on you Acer. Having two tablets with same issue it is not coincidence. It is not bad luck it is poor quality. No happy new year for Acer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones