• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable to download MMS on wifi without roaming while traveling internationally (S9, T-Mobile)

DankeShen

Lurker
Feb 12, 2021
Hi all,

I have a stock S9 on T-Mobile and use Google Messages and/or Samsung Messages (the built-in app.)

I travel internationally and recently started receiving "gentle" reminders from T-Mobile that "roaming benefits are not intended for extended use abroad." You know, "Sprint + T-Mobile, better together", blah blah blah.

I am usually on wifi so I disabled roaming expecting hardly any consequences. And had no issues except I discovered that I am unable to download MMS messages (photos or texts in groups) UNLESS I enable roaming again.

This is happening with both Google Messages and Samsung Messages apps.

Is there some setting or configuration that I am missing or is it that wifi is not enough and mobile data/roaming is required?

My concern, of course, is that T-Mobile will press the issue if this scenario continues.

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

I have a stock S9 on T-Mobile and use Google Messages and/or Samsung Messages (the built-in app.)

I travel internationally and recently started receiving "gentle" reminders from T-Mobile that "roaming benefits are not intended for extended use abroad." You know, "Sprint + T-Mobile, better together", blah blah blah.

I am usually on wifi so I disabled roaming expecting hardly any consequences. And had no issues except I discovered that I am unable to download MMS messages (photos or texts in groups) UNLESS I enable roaming again.

You can't receive MMS from WiFi, not unless you have WiFi messaging and calling service from the carrier. If that can be done internationally while roaming, no idea.

This is happening with both Google Messages and Samsung Messages apps.

Is there some setting or configuration that I am missing or is it that wifi is not enough and mobile data/roaming is required?

My concern, of course, is that T-Mobile will press the issue if this scenario continues.

Thanks in advance

I don't know T-Mobile's international roaming tariffs and policies. But if you're not careful you could end up with a huge phone bill, like hundreds, or even thousands I've heard of. As many carriers charge a real premium for receiving incoming SMS and MMS when roaming.

Suggest you find an alternative way of messaging, like using WhatsApp, Telegram, or Signal possibly, as those can be done on WiFi alone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones