• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unable to find my location when adding city to weather widget

zafonic

Android Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2010
England
I live in the United Kingdom and have been trying to find the town that I live in, but when I do a search for it I find nothing.

Can anyone give me some help so I can have my town displayed on screen? At the moment I have showing a town which is 15 miles from me.

Any info would be really appreciated.

I am in Bournemouth and weather widget seems to have an issue with my "current location".
It does say Bournemouth on the screen so it seems it knows where I am.
It just can't find any weather info for me when it is set to "current location" no matter if i use auto update or try it manual.
However if I set the location manually to Bournemouth it updates fine.

I am thinking there might be an issue with the weather widget...I have seen a number of topics with issues.

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue - when I got the phone new it found my town (swindon in the UK) and happily displayed my location. It then stopped finding my location (the weather wigit just says "my location" and not other info). If I go to the weather page itself and add a new city it can't even find swindon at all. Also google maps will not detect my current location (though it will find swindon if I type it in).

I have tried a factory reset of data (as there was nothing I was not ok to lose) thinking this might have reset it, but it has not.... any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully receieved.

Upvote 0
I have had both Wireless and GPS enabled, it still will not pick up my locaton. Bit concerned that the weather wigit will not even recognise Swindon as a place. Would someone else with an HTC desire mind entering Swindon as a city name on their weather wigit to see if it finds it? Would appreciate it hugly to know if it is just that Swindon has fallen off the face of the earth and I did not realise it. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem as many other users. When I ask for the widget to show current location it shows Worcester but no data available. When I try and search manually for Worcester it lists the cities in SA and USA but not England.
I am now using Fancy Widget and it detects Worcester as my current location and works fine.
I would prefer to use the native HTC application but it needs to work properly!

Upvote 0
I've had the same tyupe of problem. Places I work, Martlesham and Kesgrave in Suffolk were picked up and updated fine until about a week ago now all i get is Current location.

Now when I add a new town that it actually has in its very limited listings- very very few in UK- , i.e. Ipswich, it finds it and eventually updates weather.....

but wherever I go, even when I now go into Ipswich, the Current Location shows as Current Location only and doesnt update, even after manual update, to show a known town.

What is going on and why has it all changed recently?

I've emailed accuweather to ask them but got nothing back so far.:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones