• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable to find WiFi Networks

ste_wilko

Lurker
Sep 19, 2017
Hey guys,

I'm hoping that someone can help me with this issue, and I apologise in advance if I don't articulate it correctly to start with; but basically here is what is happening with my device.

So a few weeks ago I rooted it, I can't remember which method I used (but YouTube and a few other sites was saying it was the best method).

Everything was fine for a while, no problems with the phone at all.

Then, all of a sudden, one day my phone disconnected from my home WiFi network because I left its range. However, when I returned back within the range of the router, my handset failed to reconnect; even though my device is set to "auto reconnect". I tried to search for the network and it failed to find any, literally it was reporting that there were no WiFi networks within range at all.

I tried manually adding the network, and it took approximately 5 attempts for it to eventually then find the network, and connect to it. The strange thing is, it then found all of the other networks within range (a lot of them!)

After this, it is very temperamental about whether it discovers networks that are transmitting their SSIDs. If it doesn't find any I can manually add the SSID and password and it will connect, and then discover all of the other available networks.

The problem is, that even if I try and manually add a public SSID, like in a coffee shop or bar, it refuses to even discover it or connect to it; unless it connects to a private network first (I can only compare it to when you have to bump start your car).

Currently, I am on a business trip with my employer and they have put me up in a hotel, with WiFi. And my device cannot find the SSID; until, that is, I use the mobile hotspot function on my laptop; then it finds it and allows me to connect.

I have fully re-flashed the device back to stock ROM, and it has since undergone approximately 3 OTA updates; but it hasn't fixed the issue.

The steps I've taken:

Reset connection settings
Re-flashed the device
Manually added SSIDs
Reset connection settings
Manually connected to hotspot on laptop

Device details:

Android Version:
Code:
Baseband Version:
Code:
G930FXXU1DQD7
Kernal Version:
Code:
3.18.14-11528205
dpi@SWDG5305 #1
Wed Aug 9 15:19:42 KST 2017
Build Number:
Code:
NRD90M.G930FXXS1DQHF
Android Security Patch:
Code:
1 August 2017

Just to confirm, the device is now back on STOCK ROM

Lots of things seem to point to WiFi detection and connectivity on your S7. The hardware aspect seems OK as it does work when you do those odd work-arounds. Now that your back to a stock ROM did you leave it as is or did you root it again?
Switching ROMs like that, have you been wiping the system cache partition each time? Generally it's a good idea to boot up into your phone's Recovery Mode and wipe the system cache if you've done something like a system upgrade.
If you have anything like Avast or McAfee or like installed, try disabling all its features, reboot, and see if that makes any improvement with your WiFi connectivity.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones