• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't connect to school Wi-Fi network

I've recently purchased a new phone for myself, the TCL A30 (5102L). I took it to school for the first time today and discovered that doesn't detect the school's Wi-Fi. I've tried manually entering the network's SSID, and made sure that the router's standard worked with my phone (they do). I have also tried resetting all network settings and rebooting the phone itself. Both my school-issued laptop and personal laptop connect to the network just fine with no problems. I can't figure out what's happening, internet, work your magic for me!

Have you talked to anyone in the IT department at your school? Simply because you have a couple of laptops connected to the school's network doesn't necessarily mean you're using an open WiFi network that anyone can just use at will. Most school districts will have some kind of curated authentication process that's more involved than just a simple user name/password login.

Upvote 0
Do you still have your old phone?

Many devices now allow you to share a wi-fi passcode with another device via a QR Code.

This is how I got my new TCL A3 to link to the wi-fi at work.

A workmate linked my old device to the wi-fi, but did not tell me the password.
So when I got the new device I shared the passcode as above.

It was sporadic for the first day, but now links right away and works quite well.

If your old device has this wi-fi sharing feature, then you need a QR Code reader app on the new device.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Do you still have your old phone?

Many devices now allow you to share a wi-fi passcode with another device via a QR Code.

This is how I got my new TCL A3 to link to the wi-fi at work.

A workmate linked my old device to the wi-fi, but did not tell me the password.
So when I got the new device I shared the passcode as above.

It was sporadic for the first day, but now links right away and works quite well.

If your old device has this wi-fi sharing feature, then you need a QR Code reader app on the new device.
The network has no password, and I moved from an iPhone 6, so it may not work.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones