• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unable to view all emails - Samsung galaxy s5

cascam

Lurker
Sep 27, 2017
Hi, Im having problems viewing my emails. I lost all my emails on my laptop and was informed by my domain I had downloaded them to my phone.

When using the email app, I see 133 emails, but am only able to view 30. It offers me the option to flick up to load more emails and shows 133 are there, but will not load them.

I have tried settings/account/sync settings and only have 3 options available, namely sync Email (check) sync schedule and limit retrieval size.

I was hoping there was an option for sync period, but I can’t seem to see the option anywhere.

I need to view some of these emails urgently, please Help!!!!!

Thanks,

Just so you have a better grasp on the situation, in the back end your email is maintained by your email service (Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, etc.) and your email messages are stored in their online servers. Those online servers are the central point of storage for your email. Your laptop and your phone do not act and cannot act as an email server, both are simply email clients. All they do is show email messages supplied to them by those online email servers -- the server manages all your emails, the client feeds off the server.
What can complicate things is if your phone's email app (aka 'client') is set to delete messages off the server after they're downloaded onto your phone. Or if you were using an email application on your laptop that was set to delete downloaded emails. Typically that is not the default setting so it is a matter where is someone set up your email for you that would have to be something that was altered for a specific reason.

So what you need to do is determine which email service you are using. That's easily shown in your email address -- as in your_name@gmail.com or your_name@att.com. Your email service could be a one of the common ones like Gmail or Outlook, or one more specific like with a business address. Anyway once you know your email service that will indicate which web site you need to go to. Using a web browser go to that web site and use the webmail interface to check if all your email are still there and accessible. By using the webmail interface you're not using an email client, you're accessing your emails directly.
If you state which email service you use we might be able to give more specific suggestions. (Don't give us your name, the part to left of the @, but just the email service, the part to the right of the @. Posting your full email address isn't a good thing in a public forum.)

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm using webmail off Inmotion. Cut a long story short, I logged into my email account off my laptop this morning to find all my emails from my inbox had disappeared. I contacted the host domain who told me I had downloaded all the emails from the server to my phone so they were no longer stored and no longer accessible via my laptop.

Now 100 + show on my phone, but I am only able to read some of them. It offers me the option to flick up to load more emails and shows 133 are there, but will not load them.

Upvote 0
Ahhh, Inmotion being a web hosting service allows you to establish your own domain name. But Inmotion will still be running the online servers that store your emails, it's just that you're accessing them via your own domain name. It's still the same underlying set up however. If the email app on your S5 cannot download those emails and you cannot find them accessing your account using the webmail interface than they are gone. Your S5's email app can fully view the emails it downloaded but since they don't exist on Inmotion's mail server you cannot access them anymore. A remote possibility is to log into your account via webmail and if there's a trash folder they might still exist there. But a lot of email services put a time limit on what's in the trash and will delete messages after a specified number of months.

Upvote 0
What you might want to do from this point forward is set up something like an 'archive' or 'old messages' folder through your webmail interface. Each time you're reading your email of course just delete those messages you know for sure you'll never need to access again but for everything else those should go into that archive folder. In my gmail I have messages going back to 2005. Hopefully Inmotion does not have any kind of time limit or size cap for email.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones