• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unbricking your Sprint or Virgin Mobile USA phone using official tools and dll and bin files

I can see my phone on device manager but when i run the lg flash tool and follow the steps the best i get is it saying the com port is ready after i hit the start button. I have a vm elite. Anyways when I hit start the comport says ready in yellow and then nothing. It does not start or anything. I have unplugged the phone and plugged it back in changed com ports on the flash tool as well as the computer. I run it as admin but still nothing. Am i missing a step? Thanks.

If your having issues being stuck at the press the arrow step, try unplugging the usb connector, pull the battery, reinstall the battery, then hold both volume rockers and inserting the usb cable. Once the download mode screen appears let go of the rockers.

This is assuming the flash tool, drivers and proper device manager ports are setup as per the OP's instructions.

Upvote 0
If your having issues being stuck at the press the arrow step, try unplugging the usb connector, pull the battery, reinstall the battery, then hold both volume rockers and inserting the usb cable. Once the download mode screen appears let go of the rockers.

This is assuming the flash tool, drivers and proper device manager ports are setup as per the OP's instructions.
They are and to be sure I reinstalled several times and have followed the steps to the letter but nothing. I see the phone in device manager but it seems that lg flash tool never does. I have tried disconnecting the phone while lg is running and taking out the battery and reconnecting it per your suggestion and still nothing. It will go into download mode otherwise if I try to start the phone normally it constantly tries to reset itself. I had the phone rooted and for some reason when I got my new phone I was in a hurry to wipe my data from this phone I hit factory data reset which I believe wiped everything sending the phone into its current condition. Is there any other suggestions? Thank you.

Upvote 0
They are and to be sure I reinstalled several times and have followed the steps to the letter but nothing. I see the phone in device manager but it seems that lg flash tool never does. I have tried disconnecting the phone while lg is running and taking out the battery and reconnecting it per your suggestion and still nothing. It will go into download mode otherwise if I try to start the phone normally it constantly tries to reset itself. I had the phone rooted and for some reason when I got my new phone I was in a hurry to wipe my data from this phone I hit factory data reset which I believe wiped everything sending the phone into its current condition. Is there any other suggestions? Thank you.

Delete system32 - Don't, it's a joke :p

You mentioned reinstalling the drivers - did you do so as Administrator (right-click install as Administrator)? Did you try reinstalling the LG flash tool?

Upvote 0
Just to let everyone know I finally figured out what I was doing wrong and now the phone is good to go. In device manager for some reason I was changing the lg modem to com 41 and not the the one listed under ports. Once I changed it and tried again it worked. Thanks to all who replied and helped it took me awhile but it was my own fault but once I figured it out it worked like a charm. Thank you tjsanders you saved my phone.

Reactions: hwengmgr
Upvote 0
rlmoyerjr - You are a genius!

I never thought to look under Ports in device manager. I was always changing the port number under the Modem entry and it never worked.

Even tjsanders did a remote session on my computer and did not catch that!

once I changed the port to COM41 in ports, I used the flashtool and it did not start immediately. I had to unplug and replug in the phone and then it started. It rebooted and looks like a real phone again!

The OP should be updated to clearly state to use the "Ports" entry in device manager and not use the "Modem" entry.

Upvote 0
You shouldn't format your hard drive unless you know what your doing lol. That would destroy the operating system and delete every single thing on your computer. ;) Did you do all the steps it listed? Every single step is important including making the phone Port 41. I even had to disable the modem in Device Manager for the phone for it to work as well.

Upvote 0
Hey i keep getting this error when trying to run the LG Flash Tool

C:\LG\LGFlashTool\LGFlashTool.exe
The application has failed to start because it side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

Any idea on how to fix this?

In case you still haven't gotten it fixed, I took a read back through the thread and on page two somebody had the same problem, here's the solution from tjsanders:

download this and install it and this will fix that issue
https://www.dropbox.com/s/baw2aoerstq4ef8/FLASH_1.2.45.921.zip

Reactions: jamoosh
Upvote 0
HiYa,

After trying everything from QPST to the supertool with VERY POOR directions and bad advice,this method has worked flawlessly.

It solved the infamous rom manager/download in progress problem.

And for those who happen to read to this point in the thread, if you are considering rooting/roming your phone, use giantpune's method.

Thanks to all who have contributed. I hope I can offer some help to someone else down the road.

Swizzey

Upvote 0
I've just registered to thank you tjsanders. A huge weight was lifted from my shoulders as I had bricked my grand-son's phone just one day after giving it to him for his birthday. :eek:

Now that I'm no longer stuck in a boot loop, I would like to add something that I didn't see in this thread yet.

The phone rebooted while at 86% and everything seemed fine. But when it got to 100%, I got a fail message. (Error WM_PROGRESS_MSG - We can't communicate with specific port - FAIL)

Since I noticed that the phone had already rebooted, I unplugged it and it looked normal. I'm now re-charging it before I try anything else tomorrow.

So the point is. Even if you see a FAIL message, it may still have worked. Unless I can't reboot it tomorrow, but I seriously doubt it.

The reminder to go to ports under device manager and not to modem is very important. I had looked at ports before and didn't see it there so I kept trying in modems. It could've been there all along and I just didn't notice it or it just showed up at some point. But look under ports!

Besides that the only other thing that I can add is to try any of the DLLs available when you start the FlashTool. Only the right one will work. I froze when I got to that section because I didn't want fudgeup even more, but there is no need to worry. Only one DLL will be accepted and only one file will be available for the S/W. So pick it!

Again, thank you tjsanders. This is far easier than the jcase method to unbrick the phone.

I can now go back to root it the right away and install a debloated ROM. Tomorrow...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones