• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

unexpected bad service

Iowabucks1

Lurker
Sep 29, 2015
Hey everyone, I just got done with my US Cellular, 2 year plan and bought an unlocked OnePlus One phone. I decided on a GSM phone and figured Straight Talk could cut my bill in half.

Now that I ported my old number to my brand new phone using straight talk, I have almost no service at my house. 98% of the time I see no bars on my phone. I know that doesn't mean much but most calls I try and make will just disconnect before even dialing, or just tell me I have no cell service. If I go outside it does work. My phone will sometimes accept calls inside the house but I haven't used it long enough to find out if it would drop calls. In my phones settings it's telling me I have between a 109 and 111db signal strength. I don't now much about signal strength but I thought that number was at least good enough to make calls.

I called ST tonight and they said not much could be done with the phone or towers itself. I'm in an area with dual coverage...which I believe she explained as being between two towers so they split time. But of course they are both just as bad. Being a GSM phone I could switch to T-Mobile but cannot bring my own number and it's only 2g coverage in my area. She said I could purchase a CDMA phone but I told her I just bought this new GSM phone. I have no desire to buy another phone.

So now I'm just going to ride it out for awhile and see how it works. I really like this OnePlus One phone as I want to be able to root the phone and learn more about being a superuser.

Do I have any other options that you know of to get better signal strength while keeping ST and this new OnePlus One phone. I really want to make this work out.

Thx. Jerry.

I've had a few ST phones. They were all going though Verizon and gave me no reception problems. Then a new one I got went through AT&T. In most areas it was also fine, but in certain areas near where I live, no phone or data at all. AT&T said I could buy a booster box, I said bite me. Then I went and bought something else that used Verizon, solving the problem by throwing money at it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones