• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Universal Inbox direct shortcut

novemberwhiskey

Android Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2010
I have a droid X running 2.1 update 1:

I want a direct link to my universal inbox from my homescreen that drills directly into the inbox displaying all my messages.

Currently, the best I can do is to use the "messaging" shortcut, which then goes and displays another shortcut to my "universal inbox" along with my individual mailboxes.

I want to cut out the two-step approach, and get a direct shortcut.

Does anyone know how, or of any apps that can do this?

thanks.

Version 2: Edited for warning and improved simpler method

These notes refer to a Motorola Defy running Motoblur and 2.1

You can make a direct shortcut to Universal Inbox by installing LauncherPro Plus and Folder Organizer , and then creating a shortcut with Folder Organizer to Universal Inbox (Universal Inbox will be found in Launcher Pro Activities). Now export your Folder Organizer data because you will need to re-import it later.

Now you need to do a factory reset (Setting/Privacy/Factory Reset), then re-install Folder Organizer and import the file you saved. Now you have a shortcut to the Universal Inbox.

Why the Factory Reset? Because it appears that using Launcher Pro, even if you uninstall it, interferes with the ability of Motoblur to locate your phone. I can't explain this, but I have tested it and at the time of writing it seems to be so. I have tested the Universal inbox shortcut on my phone following the above procedure, and Motoblur location worked ok.

Is it worth it? If you don't mind the palaver, its a brilliant shortcut, should be in the phone as standard.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones