• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BlueIce5249

Android Expert
Mar 31, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
I have all my music loaded on my Droid and for some reason it keeps telling me that some of my music is by "unknown artists". They're all tagged correctly on the computer and even in the double twist player app. But the stock music app and cubed show some as unknown. Everytime I reload it there's different songs that have unknown artist. I had as little as 8, then 2000, and now 2113. WTF?!?! :mad:

Wow, how is this going overlooked?

And I must add, I took my smartphone on vacation thinking it could replace my ipod. And as sad as it is to admit, I REALLY REALLY missed my ipod. This has to be the worst music player I've had since my tape player as a kid. I couldnt tell you the number of times I had to restart my phone due to my music player randomly starting and skipping tracks so fast I had to pull the battery out.

Upvote 0
Wow, how is this going overlooked?

And I must add, I took my smartphone on vacation thinking it could replace my ipod. And as sad as it is to admit, I REALLY REALLY missed my ipod. This has to be the worst music player I've had since my tape player as a kid. I couldnt tell you the number of times I had to restart my phone due to my music player randomly starting and skipping tracks so fast I had to pull the battery out.

Somehow I doubt an ipod could play WMA files at all.

Upvote 0
This has to be the worst music player

Not to be a dick but it's not a music player. It's a phone.
It's a swell phone to boot. That it can also play some music is nice I guess but it's still a phone.

Now I know some folks are outraged that their phone doesn't play music like their music player does but I bet their music player doesn't answer phone calls like their phone does either and they never complain about that.

In the interest of full disclosure I have never owned an mp3 player and I don't use my phone for music either and don't care if it does at all (except to the extent that I do use some short clips of mp3s for ringtones) so it doesn't bother me that the phone may or may not be a top notch mp3 player. I realize everyone has different goals and desires and wants and needs but that doesn't change the fact that it's just a tiny bit unfair to criticize a thing for not being a thing that it is not.

Upvote 0
Not to be a dick but it's not a music player. It's a phone.
It's a swell phone to boot. That it can also play some music is nice I guess but it's still a phone.

Now I know some folks are outraged that their phone doesn't play music like their music player does but I bet their music player doesn't answer phone calls like their phone does either and they never complain about that.

In the interest of full disclosure I have never owned an mp3 player and I don't use my phone for music either and don't care if it does at all (except to the extent that I do use some short clips of mp3s for ringtones) so it doesn't bother me that the phone may or may not be a top notch mp3 player. I realize everyone has different goals and desires and wants and needs but that doesn't change the fact that it's just a tiny bit unfair to criticize a thing for not being a thing that it is not.

Why buy a smartphone if you're going to say all it should do is make phone calls? If I wanted a phone that was just a phone, I wouldn't have bought a Droid, wouldn't have rooted it, and wouldn't be on these boards right now. The whole point of a smartphone is doing multiple things, like internet, video, music, camera, video recorder, phone, etc. etc.

I'm not saying it has to be top knotch, but I would expect it to recognize artists. That's a pretty basic function that phones have been doing for YEARS.

Upvote 0
Well you are the one who compared it to your ipod. Your Droid does do all those things. It doesn't do some of them as well as other things made specifically to do some things. An ipod is a top notch mp3 player and you missed it on your vacation. But you weren't completely without music - you just weren't able to enjoy your music like you would with your ipod. Yet you criticize your Droid for not being as good as an ipod. My droid isn't as good as my PS3 at playing games but it still has games I enjoy playing.

All I'm saying is you can't expect a multifunction tool to be as good at every single function as a tool dedicated to that one function and it's unfair to compare them. I'm not even saying you don't have a right to be upset - I'm only saying I felt you were being too harsh on a phone for not being an ipod.

However, in the the link provided by tadpole above, there was just recently this: Comment 96 by csigr...@gmail.com, Jan 15 (46 hours ago)
Just tried the solution from MixZing (comment 59). After deleting the media database, I simply triggered it to rebuild by mounting my phone as a drive on my computer and then dismounting it. Simple and it worked! All my WMAs show the proper tag info now. HTC Evo w/ Froyo. Sweet!

It might be somethign to help you. And it also looks like the issue is not being overlooked - just slow to fix.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones