• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Is anyone considering buying an unlocked phone? I have unlimited LTE on Verizon and I want to hold on to it. I don't see the price of an unlocked phone listed anywhere. The phone looks gorgeous and the specs make is essentially future-proof (for the next 2 years at least)

I would if I could "for sure" keep unlimited and not get caught by some weird verbiage in my contract.

My guess is it would be in the 599-650 range based on purely nothing.

Upvote 0
Isn't 'unlocked' the official term?

Anyway, $599 seems a fair price. Is it likely to go down over the next few months? I am thinking of buying this sometime around Feb-March next year

On GSM carriers yes, on Verizon, there is no such thing as unlocked. It is locked to their service, so full price phones are referred to as unsubsidized for them.

Rarely does Verizon reduce unsubsidized prices unfortunately. Although you would be able to find a used one in excellent shape for a pretty hefty discount by then if you wanted.

Upvote 0
On GSM carriers yes, on Verizon, there is no such thing as unlocked. It is locked to their service, so full price phones are referred to as unsubsidized for them.

Rarely does Verizon reduce unsubsidized prices unfortunately. Although you would be able to find a used one in excellent shape for a pretty hefty discount by then if you wanted.

Slashgear says you can put an AT&T SIM in there and run it on HSPA since its a world phone, no LTE though.

Upvote 0
A few more questions on an unlocked device -

1. Assuming I buy it unlocked at a later date online (say Amazon), will Verizon still provide insurance for this device? If not, who else provides insurance? I got insurance from Verizon for my T'bolt (contract)

2. I see that there is no removable battery. Is this a major concern? How reliable are the batteries? If I buy it unlocked and the battery goes bad in a few months, am I f'ed? Is it easy to get the battery replaced from a tech repair shop?

Upvote 0
A few more questions on an unlocked device -

1. Assuming I buy it unlocked at a later date online (say Amazon), will Verizon still provide insurance for this device? If not, who else provides insurance? I got insurance from Verizon for my T'bolt (contract)

2. I see that there is no removable battery. Is this a major concern? How reliable are the batteries? If I buy it unlocked and the battery goes bad in a few months, am I f'ed? Is it easy to get the battery replaced from a tech repair shop?

1. You can easily get a third party insurance, such as square trade. But I think if you purchase a new phone it is eligible for asurion coverage as well. But don't quote me on that.

2. Batteries are pretty easy to replace. I imagine it may also be covered by manufacturer warranty the first year as well.

Upvote 0
If I was you I'd go buy a used standard flip phone rather than buying a $599 list DNA(unless you have an extra standard phone) and what you can do is add a new line.
Get the discounted DNA with the new line contract.

Then switch the DNA to your main line with unlimited and then put the spare phone on the new line and drop it to the basic $9.99 a month or whatever additional line costs.

Then you can use that extra phone for the home line or for a kid, etc and use it for the renewal line when you want a new phone.

I renew my kids lines and then stick the new phone on my grandfathered unlimited line. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones