• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocking Your Metro PCS Phone Is Easier Than You Think!

Preface; I have not had 90 days of uninterrupted service from metro, in fact that's the reason I wanted to switch.

How I unlocked my phone;
I called metro CS, asked why I had been charged $5 extra but my bill date had not been changed last month when I paid 10 days late(the whole point of prepaid is to not be tied down by contracts and due dates and to pay in advance for service you need, I wasn't happy about this whole bill date thing and to find out I was overcharged but my date stayed the same) they clained it was for WiFi hotspot, I didn't have tethering enabled on my plan. After telling me there was nothing they could do I simply asked for my unlock code. The guy expressed that hr was sorry to see me go and could offer $13 for the 10 days service I missed out on, but agreed to get my code. Two minutes later he gave me two code to unlock my device. BAM done. I put my new sim card in and entered the Service Provider code and was in business. Now I have gone back to using disposable monthly T-Mobile SIMs from eBay for <=$15 for unlimited everything and after the first month you can continue to pay the regular monthly rate or get a new Sim. So I am saving $35 and am much happier being back on a real service providers network :D.

My tips to get your unlock code;
I'd guess you do need to have service for a bit, my last month the would've made 90 days, however I went 10 days without service that month, and two days the month before.
Call for your code when you have a problem with your service - sympathy goes a long way with some people, they may give you your unlock code because they feel for you.
Ask for your unlock code after expressing anger and that you're not satisfied. This worked for me, when he told me he couldn't do anything for me, I simply said "okay, can I just have my unlock code then?" And his whole attitude changed.

I'm not sure this will work for everyone, and j doubt you can go buy a new phone then try this the next day, but it worked well for me and now I saved $75 on my phone (Christmas promo) and now $35 a month, I'm happy!

Also, if anyone knows if galaxy lights all use the same unlock code, message me and I'll give it to you

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones