• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unresponsive screen when in car dock?

After testing your device, like in the car AND surface video, do you have any issues?

• Yes - Just like the video

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • No - Mine is perfect

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • Sometimes, just not as bad as in the video

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
I actually noticed this way way before when I first received the phone, never thought it was an issue. I guess it is to some people.

I tested it on a flat table. Worked perfectly fine.
I tested it on the corner of my desk while the phone was hanging off a bit, worked perfectly fine.
I tested it while only holding the tip of the top of the phone with two fingers while dangling down, worked perfectly fine.
I tested it on top of an empty hollowed cracker cardboard box and the issues arised and was unresponsive but I noticed the box was wobbly and unstable.
I tested on a pile of clothes, it was unresponsive but noticed the clothes pile was wobbly and unstable.
I tested it on a pillow, it was unresponsive but noticed it was wobbly.

I feel like the phone needs to be on a STABLE surface to work or the touch of the other hand for it to work. Maybe the device is so smart and for security measures, it only works on a stable surface. SMART!

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to thank the entire community for taking a honest look at this. I really appreciate 'most' of the comments on the different forums. A lot of them have led to valid work-arounds. On the flip side it's been interesting seeing the comments that refer to me as a zombie, troll, Apple fan boy and ******. Oh well, I guess I asked for it. However I can honestly say that stirring up trouble was the last thing I wanted to do. For the record, I absolutely LOVE this phone. For some reason people see the video and think I hate the phone or hate android. I did not do these tests because I could or could not "live with the problem". The scale and scope of this problem, and how it might or might not effect each person seemed totally irrelevant. I simply did the tests to point out the flaw and thus find a fix, either through HTC or through the community, hence giving everyone a better phone. I sincerely apologize if this has upset some people. That was not my intention.
-Igl007

Upvote 0
There is a very easy work around for this issue in the car - Just charge it while it's docked and your good to go. Always responds. Also I just want to say, the this is the BEST phone I haver ever had. So even though that is my phone in the video, I would buy this over again in a heartbeat! It really rocks. NO phone is perfect.

igl007
I have been unable to duplicate and feel bad about your situation, but your statement above says it all, none are perfect and this is still the best phone I have ever had...

Upvote 0
I just ordered by phone last week (I should be getting in 2-3 months) and I am seeing that the unresponsive phone in the dock is a real issue. Being able to use the phone as a GPS and the Google Nav were the deciding factors in me choosing this phone over the iPhone, did I make the wrong choice?

Verizon Droid Incredible Complaints Grow

the article states that it has happened to a few phones and its a grounding issue so not to worry i think. also if it really does become a big issue then it sounds like a simple firmware update would fix it or you could just swap yours back at the store.

Upvote 0
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but here goes ...

I have a DC->AC converter for my car that has a 110v plug and a USB plug for charging different devices. I had the grounding problem with the unresponsive/sporadic screen when I used the stock HTC AC wall charger/USB cable.

When I plugged the USB cable directly into the DC->AC converter USB port, the problem went away. I'm not well-educated in electronics/electrical, but that seemed odd to me.

Upvote 0
Just noticed it today. I've had the phone for almost three weeks. I have the car dock/holster from Verizon. I thought I solved the problem by hooking a couple of fingers behind the dock and pushing the screen a little harder. After watching your video I checked and it was definetly just the fact that I was touching the phone somewhere else.

As to the flames that you have gotten from some, just ignore them. They are everywhere not just on the forums.

Thanks for your efforts on the subject.

CB
:)

Upvote 0
I'm having a problem with my screen but it has nothing to do with a car doc. If I'm in a dimly lit area or in my car at night the phone will not respond when I try to hang up a call. I went to the Verizon store and called the tech's. Neither could figure it out but to say it could be the emulator sensor going bad. I'm in my 30 day period and have to go back to the store to turn mine in.

Upvote 0
The only issue I've had with the screen on my DI is when i have it attached to my S2 SoundGate car mount. Using swype is damn near impossible and icons require using a lot more effort to get them to press, AND if you don't hit them absolutely dead in the center they won't press either. (which is fine, I shouldn't be texting while driving anyway)

I tried using the phone on carpet, blankets, tables, etc, and it worked fine. However, I tried using it on top of a soft foam insert mold (from a stethoscope box) and it had a little trouble reading button presses. Seems like this is the same problem as yours but much less severe.

But hey, as long as it continues to work in my hands, I'm happy. =D

Upvote 0
I recently flashed to Froyo on my Incredible and was pleasantly surprised to see that the "Unresponsive Screen" problem has been completely fixed. I tried it on 2 incredibles that suffered the problem and both responded as they should! Thanks to everyone that helped to bring this to the attention of HTC, and Google...
So happy flashing!

Upvote 0
Yeah I just did the official 2.2 update on mine and the grounding flaw is fixed as well!

I've been complaining to the wife about how bad my screeen is on the Wildfire and then a friend turned up with his new Wildfire... one week old and it is absolutely fine....

This is such an annoying problem that I really regret getting an HTC - does anybody know if it only affects the htc phones... Having my phone on the desk and not being able to navigate it with one finger is plain silly!

Has anybody sent theirs back?

Being that there is no offical plan to move Wildfire to 2.2 (that I can find - I know, there is lots of speculation but no evidence from htc!) It looks like I'll have to bay mine for scrap and get another phone (I'm on a 24month contract too so there is no way I can put up with this rubbish for that long!)

I love Android but I don't think the company I bought the htc from (or htc themselves) will be as nice as Apple (Bought my wife an iphone 4 for her birthday - it died while it was lying on the bed 5 days later - and no, we weren't on the bed at the time!! :rolleyes: - Apple replaced with no questions asked...) hmm what's the betting htc won't?

Thanks all if you can put any further light on this issue...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones