• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

unroot procedure to return for warranty or full-return

shezzy

Android Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2012
I am giving the S2 a go and wanted to root ASAP to modify things on the phone to get the best battery life and was wondering if there was a full-guide on how to return the phone to a state where they would accept it for warranty or a full-return in case I do not like the battery life within the 30 day return policy from boost.com

On the old transform ultra I used I had a nandroid backup I would restore which removed CWM and root and returned it to full stock which I was able to send to samsung for warranty work..anything like that?

I have rooted before so am somewhat familiar with terminology but of course a guide would make it easier...

Thanks!

Upvote 0
yes you just Odin in the original ROM

For FI22:
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...915-guide-go-back-stock-fi22.html#post5176718

or FG31:
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...-root/621393-tutorial-return-boost-stock.html

Note: the Epic 4g Touch is the same phone as ours so if the instructions refer to the E4GT just think SGS2

Codegerm

Your the man Codegerm!! I have only been in the s2 portion of this forum for a couple days and it seems your prolly the most active/helpful. I really wanted this incase I decided to return the phone back to boost...thanks!!

Upvote 0
Hey btw Code, I noticed your running Jelly Bean FL04...hows that working for ya? Any features of your phone not working like 3g/4g , camera or w/e? I was planning on staying stock rom but only because I do not hear anything good/bad about the roms..

Also, any rom to help battery would be nice to know

Upvote 0
There is a bunch of us here that help a lot. :) This group or people make me enjoy having my GS2 even more.

I am running the Leaked FL04 JB. All works great GPS, 3g/4g, camera, and MMS all good. The only thing I needed to do was make sure my MMSC settings in the ##DATA# menu reflected the correct ones for Boost for mms messages, but that is easy to change.

I am getting good battery on mine. There are a few variants of the leaked ones (FK23, FL04, and FL16) out now and they all look pretty good so I think it is a matter of personal choice at that point. The only thing I do recommend is to get rid of bloat (sprint zone, etc). No need to have crap you never use, eating up memory and battery.

Upvote 0
There is a bunch of us here that help a lot. :) This group or people make me enjoy having my GS2 even more.

I am running the Leaked FL04 JB. All works great GPS, 3g/4g, camera, and MMS all good. The only thing I needed to do was make sure my MMSC settings in the ##DATA# menu reflected the correct ones for Boost for mms messages, but that is easy to change.

I am getting good battery on mine. There are a few variants of the leaked ones (FK23, FL04, and FL16) out now and they all look pretty good so I think it is a matter of personal choice at that point. The only thing I do recommend is to get rid of bloat (sprint zone, etc). No need to have crap you never use, eating up memory and battery.

I am kinda of confused as to what the FK23, FL04, FL16 stand for..I think the boost mobile s2 comes with FL22? Do any of these require special modems or kernals to be installed? Also, If i switch to one can I use the stock recovery method above all the same?

I'm assuming these are all done with odin? Does FL04 work with wifi tethering app? This all has to be done after the original rooting/adding of agat right?

Upvote 0
I am kinda of confused as to what the FK23, FL04, FL16 stand for..I think the boost mobile s2 comes with FL22? Do any of these require special modems or kernals to be installed? Also, If i switch to one can I use the stock recovery method above all the same?

I'm assuming these are all done with odin? Does FL04 work with wifi tethering app? This all has to be done after the original rooting/adding of agat right?

The identifiers FK23, FL04 etc are the ROM builds (modems will share this identifier too). FL22 is the current Boost ROM and modem (base band). Most ROMs come with their own kernel. They are flashed via Odin, CWM flash, or a One click exe (the method I used for the ROM I have now). It is important to use the modem that is compatible with the ROM you intend to run. In the case of our phones CWM has to be packaged with the kernel. You can Odin/One Click right to a rooted ROM straight from stock. Just Follow the directions for the ROM you want to use. I do not use tethering myself, but I am sure FL04 will support it just fine. If you choose to run a custom kernel (like you are doing when you Odin in the AGAT kernel during rooting), make sure the kernel is meant for the ROM you want to use. Using the wrong kernel with the ROM installed can result in soft bricking your phone (don't panic just follow the directions for installing the ROM)

Upvote 0
Changing the boot animation would be possible by replacing the qmg file with another one like ones that are in the stock ROM getting rid of the sprint on the top of the lock screen would be a bit more difficult. I don't really notice it, and I have changed my boot animation to one from droid cause it looks way cooler. I didn't like the sprint or the boost ones. Changing back to stock puts everything back to the way it was, plain old stock Boost.

Reactions: Kthomson205
Upvote 0
Damn where did u find the droid one from? Irenamed my old animation so it doesnt work. But id like a working droid animation

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2057355

It is easy to just use es file explorer to copy the files over. First make sure you mount system as writable in es file manager. Then rename the existing ones extension to .old (so you have them set aside). Open the archive on your pc and copy the files over manually to their respective locations. Now (this is important if you want the new animation to work) set the file attributes to the same as the old ones (long press on the file and select properties). Once you are done set system folder back to read only (preventing future accidents here)

Upvote 0
You re awesome man. One last thing and I'll leave you alone for a while, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this, but when I use rom manager it says I have cwm. But when I reboot into recovery mode, it just says android recovery. I used QBKing's one click fk23 so I figured cwm would be included. Do I need to flash cwm on my own?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones