1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unroot question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zach39, Dec 2, 2013.

1. zach39

zach39 Newbie

I was reading the sticky guide on unrooting and i noticed that the tampered* mark on the bootloader switches to re-locked*. is there any way to make the phone completely stock again without "re-locked"? i am wondering because i was going to trade my phone in through that sprint one up plan thing going on to get the new nexus 5 and give that a go. i talked to a friend at sprint and she said they wont take the phone if it has been unlocked.

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

When I got my note 3, my ltevo was relocked. They still took it in.......I just did not say it was rooted at one time......it should not be an issue.

zach39 likes this.
  3. zach39

zach39 Newbie

Now I know accepting an OTA update will make me lose root, what does it do exactly just relock the bootloader? Or will it be the same as unrooting?

4. ocnbrze

Well the ota does not relock the bootloader. If it is still unlocked the ota most likely will not work......the bootloader needs to be relocked first, then you can take the ota.

5. zach39

zach39 Newbie

Do they even check to see if the phone is locked or tampered and all that?

6. ocnbrze

Nope......I only got $50 credit for it though.

7. zach39

zach39 Newbie

did you do the "One Up" program thing? or was it just an upgrade?

well I am going in today to try to get the nexus 5 I was playing with it in the store I really liked it a lot. thanks for the info.

8. ocnbrze

naw just an upgrade.

9. zach39

zach39 Newbie

ok this might be a dumb question but im a little lost, I relocked the bootloader but as far as flashing the ruu and such I am lost I don't think I have that? what does that mean? I am trying to follow the guide but I am lost at that point.

10. ocnbrze

A ruu stands for run utility update or something like that.......it is a way to update the phone and is usually released by htc.

#2 part of the guide at the very beginning explains what a ruu is and the instructions are there.

what part are we confused on?

11. zach39

zach39 Newbie

where it says to download the correct ruu for my radio....how to see which one I have?

12. ocnbrze

Ah ok so if you go into your bootloader it should tell you what your radio or baseband is......you need to match your radio with the corresponding ruu.

13. zach39

zach39 Newbie

ok I am downloading the ruu is it supposed to take a while?

14. ocnbrze

It depends on your internet speed.....ruu's can be large files, so.........

15. zach39

zach39 Newbie

yea it is taking a little bit but once I finish that what do I do? it says it will do the work for me but do I have to have anything else open?

16. ocnbrze

Nope just what is mentioned in the guide.....make sure you have what it says and then run the ruu.exe......and you're done.

17. zach39

zach39 Newbie

it says have htc sync installed to my phone isn't that already on there when I plug my phone in the connection type says htc sync manager or mount as disc drive I am supposed to have it on htc sync manager right?

im sorry for all of the dumb questions I really appreciate your help.

18. ocnbrze

These are not dumb questions do don't feel sorry.......lol

Just mount as disc drive, you might need to uninstall sync manager.......you just need the drivers that come with it.

19. zach39

zach39 Newbie

uninstall sync manager from my computer or the phone? because idk where it is on my phone lol I looked and don't see anything about it, htc sync manager is one of my connection types that pops up on my phone. dammit now im getting confused again haha sorry trying to read your guide and see if it makes sense now that you're explaining it a bit more but idk why im not getting it. so 1. mount the phone as a disk drive, 2. run the ruu file and that's it? or should I update the drivers? or leave them alone?

20. ocnbrze

This should be done on your pc and not your phone.......all you need to do is connect the phone to the pc via usb and set it to disc.......the rest is done on your computer.

If you have htc sync installed on your pc then uninstall it.......sorry not sure why I added that in in the instructions.

21. zach39

zach39 Newbie

ahh ok no problem uninstalling from my computer. should I have the phone open on my comp like to view the files or leave it closed and just running the ruu file will find it on its own?

22. ocnbrze

Sorry.......set it to charge only........I'm not thinking clearly today......lol

23. zach39

zach39 Newbie

ok my phone is weird there is no charge only option there is only "mount as disk drive" or "HTC Sync Manager" which is I am assuming the "charge only" option but make sure it doesn't open on my comp?

24. ocnbrze

Let's try the htc sync manager option.....I no longer have the phone and I can't remember if that is weird or not.......lol

25. zach39

zach39 Newbie

ok so just run the file and that's that?