• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root unrooting evo help

jtlind01

May 18, 2011
Ok I am new to this forum thing so here goes.
I am trying to unroot my evo back to stock since I have to ship it back to asurion for my insurance claim. I bought my phone rooted so I'm not sure exactly what they used to root it. All I know is it is running the fresh rom. I saw the post about using unrevokeds s-on but it doesn't work i think because i'm not using clockwork. Even if it did the lowest compatible bootloader it says it works with is .96 and the one on my phone is 0.76. If anyone can give me some info on what I need to do to return it to factory spec I would sincerely appreciate, can't really afford to be billed $500 dollars from them for having a rooted phone. I'll list everything that it says on my bootloader screen if that helps.

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 ENG S-OFF
HBOOT-0.76.2000 (PC3610000)
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16AB
RADIO-2.12.00.11.19
MAR 30 2010, 11:24:04

Ok, I flashed the s-on tool probably ten times and it still remained s-off. The directions said to continue on and flash the pcmi36 (or whatever the name of it is) and when I did so it would immediately abort.

As far as CWM this Evo doesn't have it. I believe it's the standard Android system.

So not sure what to do now I've gotta ship this broken one back soon and if they check it's gonna be an expensive bill

Upvote 0
when you root with unrevoked you get to have clockwork mod recovery. it should be clockworkmod 3.0.0.5. what recovery do you have? if you tried it like ten times and it is still showing s-off then you need to flash the PC36IMG.zip. you need to name exactly that as windows hides extensions. so do not add a ".zip" to the name. otherwise it will lokk like "PC36IMG.zip.zip" and hboot will not scan for it. it needs to be PC36IMG.zip exactly. which one did you try?

Upvote 0
That's the thing I didn't root this phone, this one came rooted from the website I purchased it from. The recovery that is on there isn't CWM it just says Android recovery. The PC36IMG doesn't have an extra .zip on it, just one. Wish I knew more about this stuff, it was really simple to root my second Evo not sure why this is so difficult to unroot one.

Upvote 0
Which one of the PC36IMG files have you tried? what software are you using? You may need to update everything first by using the sprint lovers radio, nv, pri all in one PC36IMG.zip. it just looks like you have old radios and not sure about software and couple that you have an old hboot as well. So it really depends what PC36IMG file you are using.

Upvote 0
Unrooting is a two step process.
1. flash the s-on tool
2. install the PC36IMG file
The first step you do in recovery and flash like you would do with a rom. The second you transfer the PC36IMG to the root of your sd card.
You are supposed to use the correct PC36IMG that matches your hboot. But in this case maybe we can get and use one close to what your radios and software are. I'm on my phone right now but later maybe we can try updating everything and try again.

Unless someone else here has other ideas that we can try.

Upvote 0
this part confuses me.... 500 bones for what? what would cause a $500 charge? and i thought you had to do something with the ruu to get it back to stock...

the PC36IMG is the ruu. we just need to get the radios, pri and software up to date. so first lets try the sprint lover's
1.download: [ROM] 01/26/11 | SPRINT LOVERS | 2.2 | 3.70.651.1 | Radio/Wimax/PRI All-In-One - xda-developers
2. transfer the file over to the root of your sd card.
3. power off then press and hold power+vol down
4. hboot (bootloader) will scan for the IMG file
5. select yes to update
6. reboot.

you should have everything updated except for hboot. now that everything is current lets try the one in the dummies guide in the unrooting section. the one for .96 hboot. try that and see if we can get it to work.

Upvote 0
can't really afford to be billed $500 dollars from them for having a rooted phone.

this part confuses me.... 500 bones for what? what would cause a $500 charge? and i thought you had to do something with the ruu to get it back to stock...

The 500 dollars is the max that Asurion will charge you for a phone that is returned to them that is damaged through neglect or if the phone is modified ie. rooting it.

To ocnbrze thanks for all your help so far I'm going to download the stuff tonight and work on it a bit before I hit the sack. I'll let you know how it turns out in the morning and we can go from there if it doesn't work. I was wondering if you have a different recovery other than CWM flashed to the phone will the unrevoked s-on work correctly? Should I switch the recovery to CWM if that's even possible? As for now I'm gonna run s-on a couple more times then flash the image you linked and see how it goes. Thanks again for all the help so far I know it can get frustrating trying to guide someone that doesn't know all the ins and outs of stuff.

Upvote 0
Ok so here is where I am now. I flashed the file sprint lover and it seemed to update everything back to the sprint factory rom which was good except it was still s-off. So I flashed the img for hboot .97 and as soon as it started flashing it went back to the bootloader and it had s-on finally. However now all it will do is go straight to the bootloader. I cannot get it to go past that part. I hope I haven't bricked it. What should I do now?

Upvote 0
are you talking about your very last post? yeah i can get to recovery. i think i tried to but all it does is abort right away. i'm going to try it again to make sure i did. does the file name stay what it is or do i need to reduce it to just pc36img.zip? also can i even do this now that the root is undone?

Upvote 0
are you talking about your very last post? yeah i can get to recovery. i think i tried to but all it does is abort right away. i'm going to try it again to make sure i did. does the file name stay what it is or do i need to reduce it to just pc36img.zip? also can i even do this now that the root is undone?

yes you should be able to do the PC36IMG even after s-on. that file will give you your stock rom and stock recovery. so that all you have to do is name the file correctly to PC36IMG.zip with no extra ".zip" as windows hides extensions.

Upvote 0
Ok got that flashed to the card the old OS works and I have S-On so I think I'm in business now and can get this POS back in the mail. The only issue I came up with is when I was in bootloader and went to recovery after it was all fixed, recovery wouldn't come up. All that would happen is a black screen with a red exclamation mark. What do you think that's about? I wonder if I should just mail it back like that maybe claim it came from the damage of being run over by the go kart if they even notice it??? Again thanks for all the help couldn't have done it without you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones